MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What dont you like about biking camais General Discussion 23 02-08-2010 03:47 PM
Are Yr1 Commerce students allowed to take Math 1A03? melodicdream First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-28-2009 12:13 AM
Math 1a03 Capped For Life Sci Students? hello395 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 07-19-2009 06:04 PM
Electives that dont require you to go to class sycoman Academics 2 06-24-2009 10:21 PM

My students in the US dont know math

Old 01-21-2007 at 09:39 PM   #1
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

My students in the US dont know math
this is amusing... what are they teaching those kids over in the States!?

Old 08-01-2007 at 11:09 PM   #2
weird_chick

Liked: 0 Times

My mom's cousin is a teacher at some nursing college in the United States, I don't know which one exactly. She teaches preparatory math classes to her students. Apparently, some have no clue how to add slightly complicated fractions, or how to mutltily or divide 3-digits numbers by hand.
Old 08-01-2007 at 11:11 PM   #3
weird_chick

multiply*...srry for the spelling mistake.
Old 08-02-2007 at 05:43 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

i'm actually really surprised at that, considering they start learning complex math like algerbra waaay before we do
Old 08-02-2007 at 10:51 AM   #5
nuttynatz

Liked: 2 Times

they learn stuff before us? I though they were behind...i heard that in first year university, kids there learn stuff that kids here learn in grade 11-12?
Old 08-02-2007 at 11:40 AM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

To be honest, I really have no idea. It could all be hearsay.

However, I can tell you that the new math curriculum sucks. The old OAC program was much better/efficient.
Old 08-02-2007 at 12:11 PM   #7
nuttynatz

lol...i wouldn't know
Well the even newer one sucks even more...coz thers no calc. in grade 12 anymore starting in september
Old 08-02-2007 at 04:17 PM   #8
debz

it all depends on the school, school district, part of the country. Some parts of the country have excellent math curriculums, others don't. Calc 1N03 (1st year engineering calculus) was a review of what i'd learned in grade 12. Then again I did the International Baccalaureate. That extra stuff helps.

If you want to talk about countries with a better math curriculum, try asia..
Old 08-02-2007 at 05:13 PM   #9
paul
MacInsiders Staff

As debz said, it depends on where you come from and which school you are attending.
I lived in the states when I was in grades 5-7, and upon admission to the middle school, I was placed into an accelerated math that taught more advanced concepts. I'd say 20% of the students were in that class. Basically, if you are a hard-working kid you get to do very complicated stuff, but if you don't want to learn you get put in a separate class in which the teacher can spend more time teaching you. I didn't find much of that in the Canadian school system.
As the US is much larger than Canada, is easy to find students in less-advanced classes doing poor math and make the inductive generalization on the whole nation. Just like you can say that the US schools are much more dangerous than Canadian. However, you have to take into account that the US has about 15 times more schools than we do, and the chances of something horrible happening in one of them are much larger.

Comparing the US and Canadian curriculums is foolish because neither is as strong as the rest of the world. In my home country, Belarus (East Europe), I was taught quadratics in grade 4, and ever since I came to North America in grade 5 I haven't learned anything new in math until Grade 11. I'm not sure how the Universities compare; I don't think there is a large difference.

Paul
Old 08-02-2007 at 09:03 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I know for entrance in Japanese Universities you need to be able to complete what is equivalent to university level (ie bachelor of math) here. Or so Kumon told me years ago.

And yes, we do have fewer students, and schools, and also fewer specialized programs in comparison to the US, Europe and Asia.

I took Enhanced classes since second grade until the end of 10th; and some of the material really varied (ie it was much more difficult than the standard curriculum) whereas other stuff had nothing to do with what I was supposed to learn, which actually put me more behind (thus why I never learned to multiply in school).

Additionally, school districts and individual schools vary a lot as well; apparently I went to a really good school in Peel with really high academic standards.

There is no standard curriculum in Ontario, I'd just like to point that out to anyone who still believes it is equal everywhere.

And yes, I heard they're totally getting rid of calc. I am NOT pleased AT ALL. I'd be in the sciences if it wasn't for calc.
Old 08-03-2007 at 08:13 AM   #11
paul
MacInsiders Staff

I don't understand how you can succeed in University Science 1 without high school calc.

Paul
Old 08-03-2007 at 09:09 AM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

they're apparently changing the science curriculum in ontario universities as well.

check out some of the new courses available for 2008:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...7/crs_1598.htm
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...7/crs_1599.htm
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...07/crs_178.htm
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...07/crs_244.htm
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...7/crs_2058.htm
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...07/sec_452.htm <-- all courses for science for 2008
Old 08-19-2007 at 08:49 PM   #13
weird_chick

I don;t get it, why are they changing the curriculum?? It educated us folks pretty well so far. Oh well....at least the lucky fellows who will be taking math next yr. won;t have to smash suffer the wrath of calculus anymore.
Old 08-19-2007 at 09:14 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Apparently the new curriculum is too difficult. I totally don't understand that, though because it's easier than the old OAC curriculum.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement