MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is a Double minor Double major possible? barclayyy Academics 8 12-24-2012 03:55 AM
Can I major in science and do a minor in economics? cmkc109 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 10-14-2012 10:14 AM
Double major in Political Science & Peace Studies Lawstudent Academics 1 10-19-2011 11:46 AM
Getting a minor or double major in economics kgill Academics 2 04-11-2009 03:21 PM
Double Major katie_batt Academics 1 06-25-2008 07:58 PM

Double Major in Economics and Political Science

Old 09-19-2013 at 03:25 PM   #1
mobakri

Liked: 0 Times

Double Major in Economics and Political Science
I'm interested in double majoring in Economics and Political science because I see it as the perfect prep for my LSAT's. I'm first year and i applied to both social science and commerce. I chose soc sci because of the flexibility of the schedule and electives.
I'm just wondering what is the best course route to pursue for all four years to double major in econ and poli sci while also having enough elective slots to take history because it interests me. Also any specific courses in either econ or poli sci that seem like a good preparation for LSATS, thank you sorry if my question is all over the place lol
Old 09-19-2013 at 03:59 PM   #2
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

This has been my path also; I find that the combination provides an excellent basis for understanding how the world works.

Double majoring can be a pain in the ass when it comes to making courses fit. Econ will definitely do more for training you for the LSAT. As a poli sci major, I struggled with the LSAT and I did much better after a few years of econ, especially in the logic section.

2nd year poli sci can be taken in first year with no prereqs; if you have elective space in second term, consider taking an upper year class to see how you like it. Econ is flexible as well in that courses can be taken pretty much any year as long as you've satisfied the prereqs. I'd suggest you finish your calc and stats in first year if you haven't taken grade 12 calc and data management.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I didn't double major (rather did/doing two separate degrees) but I'm happy to help if I can.