MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double Major blue15 Academics 5 11-17-2010 07:31 PM
Double major w/ minor John H Academics 15 12-27-2009 11:00 PM
Double Major goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-13-2009 10:16 PM
Getting a minor or double major in economics kgill Academics 2 04-11-2009 03:21 PM
double major salad13 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 12-28-2008 04:45 PM

Is a Double minor Double major possible?

Old 12-18-2012 at 02:17 PM   #1
barclayyy

Liked: 0 Times

Old 12-18-2012 at 02:52 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by barclayyy View Post
If you have the room to take all the required courses (or take extra credits to get all the requirements), then I don't see why not. Ask your academic adviser to be sure.
Old 12-18-2012 at 04:29 PM   #3
N.Cheng

Liked: 20 Times

Definitely ask your academic advisor first. But in theory I guess you could as long as you just take all the requirements. However, doing a double major does not leave you with many electives left to complete two minors. You'd probably have to do lots of summer school and I'm not sure about Mac but I know other schools 'force' you to graduate once you complete a certain amount of units so you might not even get a chance to take all the courses you'll need.
Old 12-18-2012 at 05:09 PM   #4
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Unless you're intending to do graduate studies in both fields or you absolutely adore both things, this seems like a waste of time. Minors don't show up on your diploma and pretty much my degree said Bachelors of Science (Honours) with distinction ... no reference to my major at all.

Old 12-18-2012 at 09:27 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cheng View Post
Definitely ask your academic advisor first. But in theory I guess you could as long as you just take all the requirements. However, doing a double major does not leave you with many electives left to complete two minors. You'd probably have to do lots of summer school and I'm not sure about Mac but I know other schools 'force' you to graduate once you complete a certain amount of units so you might not even get a chance to take all the courses you'll need.
I don't think they can force you to leave if you don't have all the requirements for a degree? I could be wrong, they might have a max on the number of units too...but say you're doing a double major in bio and english, which don't have overlapping courses, and you leave one outstanding requirement from each major until you're ready to finish it...wouldn't they not force you to graduate until you meet the requirements for a degree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois View Post
Unless you're intending to do graduate studies in both fields or you absolutely adore both things, this seems like a waste of time. Minors don't show up on your diploma and pretty much my degree said Bachelors of Science (Honours) with distinction ... no reference to my major at all.
Just because it doesn't show up directly on your diploma, that doesn't make it useless. There's a difference in the jobs you're qualified for and things you're capable of with a degree in chem vs physics vs bio, but they all say "honours BSc" on the diploma. You put your major on your resume (and your minor if you choose) and they're on your transcript (although your minor won't be until you graduate).

Also, if you do a double-major in two different things (such as BA and BSc), you either get two diplomas (one for each) or both are noted on one diploma - I can't remember which. There will be a distinction, though.
Old 12-18-2012 at 10:11 PM   #6
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

^
Getting a double major and double minor, unless you choose a combination program would be a logistical nightmare for course selection. And its highly likely the minors would be very closely related to your majors, so there was really no "competitive" edge. I just wanted the OP to reassess their end-goal: what did you want out of degree and do you think it will affect your future enough to be worth the effort? I had the choice of getting a BA instead of a minor on top of my science degree, but it won't affect my career prospects. BAs and BSc degrees aren't worth very much nowadays.

So, it really depends on what you decide to double major in and what you want to do. If it's biology and chemistry, why not do the chemical biology or biochem programs instead? It's a lot easier (logistically) to obtain credits and the courses that you take the same courses.

Old 12-18-2012 at 11:00 PM   #7
N.Cheng

Liked: 20 Times

Yeah they can't force you to graduate without finishing your requirements haha. But then I would assume you would be purposely stretching out your undergraduate career by not taking requirements until later. So in general, you may be able to do it but it's far from ideal. Ah this reminds me of another point, if you rely on OSAP you probably shouldn't try this because they may see it as not have proper academic goals which is one of the requirements.
Old 12-23-2012 at 11:38 PM   #8
barclayyy

Liked: 0 Times

This was purely out of random curiosity. I don't actually plan on doing it but I just wanted to know if it was possible.
Old 12-24-2012 at 03:55 AM   #9
Incognitus

Liked: 19 Times

Unless there are very unrestrictive majors (ie. requiring a very few number of credits) then it's not possible in 120 units. The minors alone will be at least 2x24 = 48 of those, a major is typically two years of study above level 1.

At any rate, 2 majors and 2 minors may even look bad. I don't know if I'd hire such a jack of all trades, since it almost certainly implies you'd have taken the bare minimum in each subject area.

L'Étoile likes this.