MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double Major goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-13-2009 10:16 PM
Getting a minor or double major in economics kgill Academics 2 04-11-2009 03:21 PM
double major? jordanrogers General Discussion 8 03-01-2009 08:01 PM
double major salad13 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 12-28-2008 04:45 PM
Double Major katie_batt Academics 1 06-25-2008 07:58 PM

Double major w/ minor

Old 12-26-2009 at 12:21 AM   #1
John H

Liked: 21 Times

Double major w/ minor
Hi, I hope you guys are enjoying your holidays!

I just have a quick question...is it possible to do a double major with a minor?

Thanks, and happy holidays!

Last edited by John H : 12-26-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-26-2009 at 12:23 AM   #2
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Double major is even nearly impossible (at mac that is). At U of T you could do it.

John H says thanks to macsci for this post.
Old 12-26-2009 at 12:34 AM   #3
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

That's actually a very good question...I know you can double major, but I'm not sure if you can do a minor with it.

John H says thanks to Kevin S for this post.
Old 12-26-2009 at 01:25 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
Double major is even nearly impossible (at mac that is). At U of T you could do it.
You're incorrect. It depends on your faculty. It is possible for Humanities and Soc Sci (double in one of both disciplines, or one of each).

It is also possible to add a minor, but depending on what your majors and minor are it may be very hard to get into the courses you want.

I know a couple people who have done it but elected to add an extra year so they could also decrease their course load a bit as they worked part time and were involved heavily in other extra curriculars.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

John H, Kevin S all say thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 12-26-2009 at 01:51 PM   #5
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I'd just like to point out that if you have 2 majors, a minor doesn't mean much in an academic sense:

So essentially, if you're looking for a job in the 'real world' a minor might make an employer go "Wow...this person's qualified." But if you're considering further education, either grad school, professional school, teacher's college, etc. then it doesn't mean too much...because your expertise in that 'minor' area isn't enough to do some good academic study beyond an undergraduate degree.

Example: I was initially planning to double major in Math and Kinesiology, with a minor in Physics (it turned out that they didn't allow me to graduate officially with a double major, but it's irrelevant :p). I would have had to stay an extra year to complete the Physics minor, but even if I did I wouldn't be ready to go to grad school for physics right? I just wouldn't have the depth required...in addition, if I went to grad school for math or kin, knowing physics wouldn't help...so it wouldn't give me an edge over other students.

It all depends on your career/educational aspirations, drive/motivations and interests. But as Danielle pointed out, it certainly is possible. (:

John H says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 12-26-2009 at 09:06 PM   #6
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Topic title kind of sounds like some form of pedophilia. Or maybe I just have a sick sense of humour.

On-topic: Yeah, Mowicz's logic make sense. I suppose the minor sounds impressive, but even if it's possible, its presence probably won't get you very far in terms of grad school applications, so I don't really see the purpose unless there's some third subject you have a real passion for and are willing to sink the time and money into.

John H says thanks to Entropy for this post.
Old 12-27-2009 at 02:24 AM   #7
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

Just remember that getting a degree isnt like shopping for a puppy, you dont go around looking for the cutest one that licks your face. Think about why you are getting the dog, what it will be useful for when the puppy stage wears off and it gets big and ugly.

To break away from the odd puppy metaphor...

-Why do you want your degree to say Double Major with Minor?

-Does the job or field you are going into require it?

-A good question to ask is, would you still pursue that knowledge if you couldnt get the minor added on?

-Is there a diploma, certificate, or some other program that would better show your knowledge of the minor subject? I know there are a lot of college programs that mirror an area of expertise but the college diploma would be much more attractive to employers than a minor.

I know every wants a cool sounding degree, and to look super qualified, hell, I am one of them, but if there isnt a purpose for it, just move on. Most places wont care, sorry to burst the bubble. And frankly if it is just for workplace stuff, it would be better to not even do the double major and do co-op instead. From an employers point of view, job experience in a field is better then extra schooling unless that extra schooling gives you some sort of technical knowledge required for the job (like with some sciences or engineering, etc).

A good idea would be to go ask an academic advisor from the various faculties you are studying and ask them about it. They will probably also be able to clarify if it would be useful. GO TO CAREER SERVICES GH 110 and ask them about job related stuff, especially concerning college programs or other certificate/diploma/whatever, they will be able to help guide you.

Career service is free, they are always willing to help, they hold seminars all teh time on really useful stuff, and you are paying for them to be there. PLUS you can get a free pen at a lot of their seminars, sometimes even cookies or lunch. Free pens!

John H says thanks to Rossclot for this post.
Old 12-27-2009 at 02:31 AM   #8
carrka

Liked: 14 Times

As everyone has already said it all depends on the program you are in and what you want to do in the future.
For me... I am doing a double major in History and Poli Sci and minoring in Religious St. I just enjoy the religious studies courses and said why not just use my electives for religion. So for me its not so much for the "minor" but rather because I enjoy that subject area enough to use my electives.

John H says thanks to carrka for this post.
Old 12-27-2009 at 01:55 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
I'd just like to point out that if you have 2 majors, a minor doesn't mean much in an academic sense:

So essentially, if you're looking for a job in the 'real world' a minor might make an employer go "Wow...this person's qualified." But if you're considering further education, either grad school, professional school, teacher's college, etc. then it doesn't mean too much...because your expertise in that 'minor' area isn't enough to do some good academic study beyond an undergraduate degree.

Example: I was initially planning to double major in Math and Kinesiology, with a minor in Physics (it turned out that they didn't allow me to graduate officially with a double major, but it's irrelevant :p). I would have had to stay an extra year to complete the Physics minor, but even if I did I wouldn't be ready to go to grad school for physics right? I just wouldn't have the depth required...in addition, if I went to grad school for math or kin, knowing physics wouldn't help...so it wouldn't give me an edge over other students.

It all depends on your career/educational aspirations, drive/motivations and interests. But as Danielle pointed out, it certainly is possible. (:
Oooh ooh! Guess who gets to be an exception! Me!

I'm applying for Native Studies Masters programs, but I can only do a minor at Mac (you can only do a combined major if you're doing a three year degree; they don't have a stand-alone program or any fourth year classes at this time).

But by this end of this year I'll have more than just a minor's worth of classes (I'll have 39 total)...so...I'm a little different, I guess.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

John H says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 12-27-2009 at 02:28 PM   #10
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

I was thinking of doing Communications and Politics, with a minor in Philosophy. I am deciding against this now. I am just going to use 18 units of electives to round out my knowledge in my two majors. I figure this will be more useful.

John H says thanks to Goce for this post.
Old 12-27-2009 at 02:53 PM   #11
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Oooh ooh! Guess who gets to be an exception! Me!

I'm applying for Native Studies Masters programs, but I can only do a minor at Mac (you can only do a combined major if you're doing a three year degree; they don't have a stand-alone program or any fourth year classes at this time).

But by this end of this year I'll have more than just a minor's worth of classes (I'll have 39 total)...so...I'm a little different, I guess.
Good point. :p

But doesn't that mean a 'major' is at most 3 years of study? Your minor, although technically 'called' a minor, is almost equivalent, if not, to a major from the sounds of it...but regardless, it certainly sounds like you have enough of a background in the subject to pursue graduate studies.

Am I off the mark?

EDIT: BTW Danielle, how are the applications going? It should be about time to start and/or submit them right? Keep me posted! (I'm excited for you, I know you're going to get in)

Last edited by Mowicz : 12-27-2009 at 03:03 PM.

Old 12-27-2009 at 02:54 PM   #12
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

._. Double major AND a minor? Man. I don't know if it's because I'm only shadowing a program this year, but I can hardly find space to fit my hopes of getting a minor in French. It might be possible depending on your situation. If you take like, four courses every summer that makes it more possible than you think but not all courses are offered in the summer. Take the time to plan out your 4 years, and see what's possible in terms of what you can take in the amount of time. It's also a good idea to speak to an academic advisor and they can help you plan out your years.

While a minor along with a double major might seem like it's not worth it, but if you really really want to do it, then go for it if you can. It's your education after all, and you should indulge in your interests if you want.

John H says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 12-27-2009 at 02:59 PM   #13
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
Just remember that getting a degree isnt like shopping for a puppy, you dont go around looking for the cutest one that licks your face.
This is true, but only to an extent! You definitely want a practical degree, but often times simply having a 'cute puppy' (ie. fancy degree) is enough to bump you say, into a higher pay bracket.

Not to mention, a huge motivational factor for many people seeking, ie. a PhD in a course of study, is the aesthetic appeal of being called doctor. Take math for instance (which I study)...do I need a PhD to publish a math paper? Certainly not, but "Dr. Mike" has a nice ring to it. :p

It's in some sense about creating an 'academic identity' for yourself...which of course in the real world, academic identities don't mean dink, which is why we have to split into two cases (real world jobs vs. further studies).

The bottom line however, generally speaking, is that a minor is not a wise decision unless you follow Rossclot's words of advice:

Quote:
-A good question to ask is, would you still pursue that knowledge if you couldnt get the minor added on?
Namely because the practical use of the word 'minor' is negligible, whereas the practical use of the knowledge gained from the completion of said minor is what's powerful.

Old 12-27-2009 at 09:49 PM   #14
John H

Liked: 21 Times

Thanks guys! I'm not sure if I'm going to apply to grad school yet, so I'm definitely doing a minor.

I'm planning on doing an double major (honours degree) which is a 4 year degree. Do i need to ask permission or something to stay an extra year to complete my minor?

Thanks again

Last edited by John H : 12-27-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-27-2009 at 10:35 PM   #15
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Good point. :p

But doesn't that mean a 'major' is at most 3 years of study? Your minor, although technically 'called' a minor, is almost equivalent, if not, to a major from the sounds of it...but regardless, it certainly sounds like you have enough of a background in the subject to pursue graduate studies.

Am I off the mark?

EDIT: BTW Danielle, how are the applications going? It should be about time to start and/or submit them right? Keep me posted! (I'm excited for you, I know you're going to get in)
Mac not having a degree program in Indigenous Studies screws things up for me (most other Canadian universities don't, for that matter) in terms of the label, but yes by the time I graduate in April I'll have close to a bachelor's Degree in Indigenous Studies; Manitoba requires at least 30 units, so I've got that covered.

They're going. Alberta is due on the 7th and Manitoba, Victoria and Ottawa are due on the 15th. Manitoba is a weird application though; you need someone from the department to say they agree to supervise you before all of the applications are examined. I've changed my research area around some, which will hopefully make the next email I send to the Department head go better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post
Thanks guys! I'm not sure if I'm going to apply to grad school yet, so I'm definitely doing a minor.

I'm planning on doing an double major (honours degree) which is a 4 year degree. Do i need to ask permission or something to stay an extra year to complete my minor?

Thanks again
Nope. If you want to graduate you fill in an online form. If you don't (and want to add a minor for instance) you just stay. You only have to re-apply if you do a second degree.

Last edited by lorend : 12-27-2009 at 10:39 PM.

John H says thanks to lorend for this post.