MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double major w/ minor John H Academics 15 12-27-2009 11:00 PM
double major mike123 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 07-10-2009 04:53 PM
Double Major goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-13-2009 10:16 PM
double major salad13 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 12-28-2008 04:45 PM
Double Major katie_batt Academics 1 06-25-2008 07:58 PM

double major?

Old 02-28-2009 at 02:00 PM   #1
jordanrogers

Liked: 1 Time

double major?
so i want to double major in both Sociology and English honors

how do i do that? is there an option when i pick my majors for double majors, or do i apply at two different times? i am just confused with how to actually apply for it - seeing as they are in 2 different faculties.
Old 02-28-2009 at 04:49 PM   #2
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Are you in 1st year?

After 1st year you get to go on MUGSI again and pick what you'd like to double-up in. Then later on they will say which you are accepted or rejected in. You get 4 choices, double majors will be one of the choices available, as will single honours, and just a major. You get 4 and you should use them all up but sometimes, like me, you know what you want with only one choice. (I made my 4th choice a double major in religion and politics; I just didn't know what else to take and I like God.) However, you need to actually have certain courses to pick those majors, obviously. For example, I picked religion in combination with poli sci but never actually took religion--. You can do inter-faculty double majors, especially in the humanities and social sciences.

If you got any issues ask advisors but it will be made pretty clear when the time comes.
Old 02-28-2009 at 05:14 PM   #3
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

There will be information sessions coming up put on by your faculty that will help explain the process. CHECK YOUR MUSS MAIL or you will miss the dates and times for these. They will lay out exactly what you need to do and then you will go on MUGSI apply for your programs and you will find out after grades are finalized if you got into the programs. After you find out which ones you got into you have to pick one. If you didn't get into any of them you can shadow the desired program but that is something to talk to an adviser about, don't worry about it yet.

Old 02-28-2009 at 05:29 PM   #4
jordanrogers

thank you soo much!
that makes a lot more sense!
Old 02-28-2009 at 07:29 PM   #5
EmilySusie

Liked: 18 Times

The info fairs are coming up very soon. I know for Humanities, I got an e-mail and I had to sign up for a session... so you might want to look into that since they probably go fast.
Old 02-28-2009 at 07:59 PM   #6
jordanrogers

yeah i have no emails, but i just got an email telling me when to register.
thank you
Old 03-01-2009 at 03:07 PM   #7
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

FYI: This is from MUGSI
UNDERGRAD PROGRAMME SELECTION for the SEP 2009 SESSION MAR 10 2009 through APR 07 2009

So you can start your selection process starting on March 10th! Good luck to you all!

Old 03-01-2009 at 06:24 PM   #8
dsteph
Account Disabled by User

is it possible to do a double major if you only do a B.A, without honors?
Old 03-01-2009 at 08:01 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

No, with the exception of Indigenous Studies and something else. That's the only program that let's you do a double major at the BA (no Honors) level.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement