MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double major w/ minor John H Academics 15 12-27-2009 11:00 PM
Double Major goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-13-2009 10:16 PM
double major? jordanrogers General Discussion 8 03-01-2009 08:01 PM
double major salad13 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 12-28-2008 04:45 PM
Double Major katie_batt Academics 1 06-25-2008 07:58 PM

double major

Old 07-10-2009 at 02:13 PM   #1
mike123

Liked: 0 Times

double major
Hi, im going into first year buisness and took economics as electives, is it possible to get a double major with both buisness and economics and have honors in both? thanks
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:22 PM   #2
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Unfortunately its not possible to get honours in both business and econ. You can do a minor in econ along with your business degree though.
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:37 PM   #3
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

Actually, that's not completely true. You can get two degrees. It does entail you having to take extra courses, and possibly an extra year, but if you mirror an Econ degree's requirements (using Commerce electives) and have the GPA you can do it.

One of my housemates did essentially the same thing, but with Poli Sci and Commerce. He felt as if he didn't want to be done with school and took an extra year + 2 full summers (aka 18 extra courses!) and got a double degree.
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:41 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Actually, that's not completely true. You can get two degrees. It does entail you having to take extra courses, and possibly an extra year, but if you mirror an Econ degree's requirements (using Commerce electives) and have the GPA you can do it.

One of my housemates did essentially the same thing, but with Poli Sci and Commerce. He felt as if he didn't want to be done with school and took an extra year + 2 full summers (aka 18 extra courses!) and got a double degree.
That's actually incredible to have the two degrees, but you have to think of one point, Is it really worth it to do a combined honours program, compared to perhaps an honours degree with a minor?
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:13 PM   #5
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Well what are minors worth compared to a major? Two majors shows that you're well rounded, depending on the subjects, and that you're more capable in a way. However, an honours with a minor is just as sweet. I would've done two majors, but since I'm entering a program late, I'm using up electives for required courses. :/

Notice how no one talks about B.A. (three year) programs?
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:15 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Well what are minors worth compared to a major? Two majors shows that you're well rounded, depending on the subjects, and that you're more capable in a way. However, an honours with a minor is just as sweet. I would've done two majors, but since I'm entering a program late, I'm using up electives for required courses. :/

Notice how no one talks about B.A. (three year) programs?
Haha i know! I didn't know it existed till recently XD. I'm starting to doubt that anyone even takes them?!
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:31 PM   #7
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
That's actually incredible to have the two degrees, but you have to think of one point, Is it really worth it to do a combined honours program, compared to perhaps an honours degree with a minor?
Personally, if you really want to continue doing more school, I would suggest taking your one Major (with a minor if you want), and then getting a higher degree by going to grad school.

To put it in perspective, here is an example, what do you think looks better:

Someone with a double major (and maybe a minor if it's possible) or someone with one major, a minor, and an MBA.
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:36 PM   #8
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Personally, if you really want to continue doing more school, I would suggest taking your one Major (with a minor if you want), and then getting a higher degree by going to grad school.

To put it in perspective, here is an example, what do you think looks better:

Someone with a double major (and maybe a minor if it's possible) or someone with one major, a minor, and an MBA.
Good point. What about... a double major and a masters?
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:39 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Also, your minor doesn't appear on your degree (i.e. the pretty one you get at convocation and pay $40 for). I'm not even sure if there is a notation for it on your transcript.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-10-2009 at 03:40 PM   #10
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Good point. What about... a double major and a masters?
I would think that your masters would overshadow both your majors to be honest.

Expanding on my last example, when you go to get hired by a financial firm, they will see your MBA and will probably not care about your major in history (or double major). Chances are, your masters degree (an MBA in this example) is what will get you the job, not the fact that you have a Undergrad degree.
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:42 PM   #11
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
I would think that your masters would overshadow both your majors to be honest.

Expanding on my last example, when you go to get hired by a financial firm, they will see your MBA and will probably not care about your major in history (or double major). Chances are, your masters degree (an MBA in this example) is what will get you the job, not the fact that you have a Undergrad degree.
Very true. That's why they say where you get your undergrad doesn't matter, but matters more for a graduate degree.
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:42 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Masters = the new bachelors. Except much more competitive and more expensive to apply to.

And there is actually a lot of information out there that says getting a Masters can hinder your ability to get a job. It all depends on what you want to do afterward.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-10-2009 at 03:47 PM   #13
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Masters = the new bachelors. Except much more competitive and more expensive to apply to.

And there is actually a lot of information out there that says getting a Masters can hinder your ability to get a job. It all depends on what you want to do afterward.
I entirely agree. Back in our parent's days, an undergrad degree was your ticket to an amazing job. These days, you really need a Post-graduate degree (Ph.D, MBA, J.D., LL.B etc.) to stand out from the crowd.
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:49 PM   #14
feonateresa
Elite Member

Hell, back in the day a high school diploma used to be enough. It's terribly annoying though. So many people in our generation are struggling to buy homes and start families, but then so are older adults too.
Old 07-10-2009 at 04:53 PM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

So true. A high school diploma is sometimes not even enough for a minimum-wage job. WHo knows how it's going to be like int he future..

Anywayy. Back on topic, since we're not really talking about the double major question