MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Benefits of majoring in Multimedia/Communications? Vessi Academics 0 03-08-2013 06:55 PM
Is a Double minor Double major possible? barclayyy Academics 8 12-24-2012 03:55 AM
Thinking of Double Majoring Gorn Academics 8 06-14-2011 04:33 PM
Majoring in Poli.Sci Maudjee22 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 12-27-2009 09:04 PM
Double Majoring – Prerequisites Problem Umair First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 01-28-2009 02:04 PM

Double Majoring?

Old 01-16-2014 at 02:31 PM   #1
Nick44

Liked: 1 Time

Double Majoring?
How would I go about getting a double major between something in Science & something in either the Social Sciences or Humanities? Like, do I just need to take all the required courses for both degrees (which'll probably be insanely difficult to do in the first place), or do I need to apply separately somewhere? & Is it even possible to do if I'm in a science program right now?

Thanks in advance for any and all help/advice!
Old 01-16-2014 at 03:29 PM   #2
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

You could always go for combined honours degree for science and something in SocSci or Humanities. In doing that you'll be taking half of the required courses needed for both discipline...

Not sure how double majoring works. I'm assuming it would be similar to combined honours but someone correct me on this one...
Old 01-16-2014 at 06:25 PM   #3
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

I don't think you can take on a second major from any discipline if you're in Sciences. For example, if you're majoring in Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour (PNB), you can't choose Mathematics as a second major. Or English. You can, however, choose a Humanities major and then get a second major in whatever discipline, I think. (My shaky source: My friend's majoring in PNB and English. The difference is that you'll get a BA rather than a BSc.)

tl;dr--If you want a BSc, you can choose only from the existing combined Honours programs listed in the Undergraduate Calendar.

Best bet would be to talk to an Academic Advisor about the two majors you're interested in and if they can be combined, or if there's a similar program, to be honest.
Old 01-16-2014 at 07:35 PM   #4
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
I don't think you can take on a second major from any discipline if you're in Sciences. For example, if you're majoring in Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour (PNB), you can't choose Mathematics as a second major. Or English. You can, however, choose a Humanities major and then get a second major in whatever discipline, I think. (My shaky source: My friend's majoring in PNB and English. The difference is that you'll get a BA rather than a BSc.)

tl;dr--If you want a BSc, you can choose only from the existing combined Honours programs listed in the Undergraduate Calendar.

Best bet would be to talk to an Academic Advisor about the two majors you're interested in and if they can be combined, or if there's a similar program, to be honest.
I think it's because Psychology in your friend's case is part of Soc Sci rather than science. That's why she's going to graduate with a B.A degree not BSc

You can double major with Soc Sci and Humanities together as far as I know. I think with science, the best you can do is just minor in a humanities or soc Sci program. Talk to you Academic Advisor just in case...
Old 01-16-2014 at 08:15 PM   #5
celtics_fan

Liked: 12 Times

Just to add, but the combined honours is usually for two subjects both in Humanities. You cannot do one from Science and one from Humanities, for example.
Old 01-16-2014 at 08:26 PM   #6
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Actually, my friend is doing the exact same Psych that I am, as far as I know. o__o Like I said, best ask an Academic Advisor.
Old 01-16-2014 at 08:53 PM   #7
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtics_fan View Post
Just to add, but the combined honours is usually for two subjects both in Humanities. You cannot do one from Science and one from Humanities, for example.
It can also be soc Sci and humanities combined. I was gonna do that with Linguistics and Geography but didn't work out...

celtics_fan likes this.
Old 01-17-2014 at 09:28 AM   #8
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

I think there used to be a combined honours programme in Mathematics and Philosophy. And there's the "Arts and Sciences" programme. I believe that one is quite competitive. But generally speaking, in any combined honours programme, you still have to do a significant amount of work in each discipline, just a little bit less in each than if it was a single honours programme. That might leave very little flexibility to pursue electives. Best to get an advisor from the right Dean's office to work it out for you.
Old 01-17-2014 at 11:52 PM   #9
Nick44

Liked: 1 Time

Thanks a lot for all the advice! I'm definitely going to go talk to an academic advisor sometime this week to see whether's it's possible or not, but what you guys said helped a lot too.