MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double room in fourth year??? WavyOne Residence & Housing 6 06-23-2010 07:53 PM
Single or double room? thisisje First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-17-2010 10:12 AM
Double room with washroom residence QUESTION! MariaQ Residence & Housing 7 05-02-2010 11:15 PM
Two mini fridges in a double room (Les Prince)? Ohmz Residence & Housing 3 09-12-2009 04:48 PM
double room-no roommate sean_lin1202 Residence & Housing 15 09-18-2008 09:36 PM

Double room.

Old 05-16-2010 at 09:53 PM   #1
thisisje

Liked: 0 Times

Double room.
I am just worried about my situation right now.
I am the only one from my school that is going to Mac this fall and I need an advice if I should get a single or double room.
I heard that it's difficult to get a single room and that you need a 95 average to successfully get one.
I just want to know (to all those who had double room) how was your first year res life at Mac? Specially if you are paired up with someone you don't even know and that you'll live for the whole first year.
Old 05-16-2010 at 11:51 PM   #2
eun1031

Liked: 0 Times

Hm
I think many people will be in the same boat as you. I'm going to be a first year this September this year as well, but from what I have read on MacInsiders, there are as many good roommate stories as there are bad ones. I think what matters the most is how you deal with conflicts with your roommate... kind of like marriage? lol Make sure to talk if something is bothering you and always be civil, things like that. Besides, the residence application also asks for some personality/hygiene traits so that should deflect potential disasters. At least if you get a double room, you will automatically know at least 1 person for Welcome Week, right?
Old 05-17-2010 at 07:46 AM   #3
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisje View Post
I am just worried about my situation right now.
I am the only one from my school that is going to Mac this fall and I need an advice if I should get a single or double room.
I heard that it's difficult to get a single room and that you need a 95 average to successfully get one.
I just want to know (to all those who had double room) how was your first year res life at Mac? Specially if you are paired up with someone you don't even know and that you'll live for the whole first year.
First of all a 95 average GUARANTEES that you will get a single room. You don't need a 95 to successfully get one though. However, as you said the chances of getting one are pretty low partly because upper years who apply for residence often get these rooms.

But definitely as the above poster said, the experiences people have with their roommates vary significantly. Some get along, some don't...and it's not always something you can change. I lived in a double in first year, and my roommate and I got along but never ended up being close friends or anything. As long as you at least respect each other, you shouldn't get into major conflicts.

Remember that residence isn't the only place to meet people; you can meet people during Welcome Week, class, and by joining different clubs too! I always hear people say that you just need to make the effort and try to step outside your box a bit.