MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double room in fourth year??? WavyOne Residence & Housing 6 06-23-2010 07:53 PM
Single or double room? thisisje First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-17-2010 10:12 AM
Double room. thisisje Introduce Yourself 2 05-17-2010 07:46 AM
double room-no roommate sean_lin1202 Residence & Housing 15 09-18-2008 09:36 PM
Is it too late to switch to a residence with a washroom kenvin100 General Discussion 3 09-04-2008 08:46 PM

Double room with washroom residence QUESTION!

Old 05-02-2010 at 05:34 PM   #1
MariaQ

Liked: 0 Times

Double room with washroom residence QUESTION!
I was reading on the residence styles and i see that one option is a double room with washroom... but then i also read that your residence is determined by lottery...so if i wanted a double room with a washroom, its based on lottery if i get it or not ?

im so lost.
Old 05-02-2010 at 05:41 PM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Your choices are entered in to the lottery which is what they mean when they state that they try to accommodate your request. However, it is still a lottery and you may not get your preferences.
Here's a quote from this year's PDF:

A computerized lottery is used to determine the order in which bed spaces are assigned. This process takes into consideration, but does not guarantee, the preferences you list on your application. As each student is assigned, the computer checks to see if the
first preference listed on the application form is available. If so, the student is assigned to that room. If not, the computer checks the next preference. This continues until the student is either assigned to one of their preferences, or in the event that none of their preferences are available, assigned to an available bed space.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 05-02-2010 at 05:45 PM   #3
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

basically the only way you'll get a double with washroom is if you're really lucky
Old 05-02-2010 at 06:12 PM   #4
MariaQ

Liked: 0 Times

LOL oh god..

im thinking about living off campus in an apt or condo
its cheaper and atleast i get my own bathroom :(
Old 05-02-2010 at 06:50 PM   #5
mudathto

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaQ View Post
LOL oh god..

im thinking about living off campus in an apt or condo
its cheaper and atleast i get my own bathroom :(
The dorm style washrooms are actually cleaned everyday and rarely will you find all the stalls full or the washrooms dirty (other than the odd weekend where the toilet is covered in puke).

If you're deciding not too apply for residence because of your own washroom, I would HIGHLY recommend that you reconsider. The experience is great, the washrooms are generally clean and believe it or not, the trip to the washroom might actually help you meet quite a few people during the first few weeks.

Btw, there are some dorm style residences like Hedden Hall which have a washroom for every two rooms or LP which actually have their own washrooms. In Brandon, there's one room on every floor with its own washroom (that was me last year).

sew12 likes this.
Old 05-02-2010 at 08:47 PM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Yeah the washroom thing is really not a big deal.

I lived in Hedden first year so we have single occupancy washrooms throughout the floor which I really liked. Then in 2nd year I got assigned to Whidden and I was slightly disappointed because of the public style washrooms. I got used to it quickly though and it didn't really bother me. The stalls and showers were never full, I could always get in whenever I wanted and it was cleaned every day. I never once went into the bathroom and found it dirty. Its really not a big deal.
Old 05-02-2010 at 09:58 PM   #7
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I lived off campus in my first year and while I definitely enjoyed my own bed and a bathroom I was familiar with, from what I've seen, heard and experienced myself - residence is an unrivalled opportunity. Bathrooms are important - don't get me wrong. I'm notorious for my bathroom monogamy and I will walk across campus, in rain, slush and snow to use the cleanest one I've found so far but bathrooms can't watch movies with you or help you with integration. Their conversation sucks, they'll rarely introduce you to new music or people you like and they always look very bleached out and almost ceramic in photographs.

Off campus living can be a blast too. SOCS is great at getting people involved, connected and enthused about their off campus experience but IMO, bathrooms just aren't worth letting go of a phenomenal opportunity like your first year on res.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

khaotic likes this.
Old 05-02-2010 at 11:15 PM   #8
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

I have to echo the statements here, you'll have 3 years after your first to live off-campus, the first year campus experience is a once in a lifetime thing, washrooms are not enough of a reason to deprive yourself of the experience (and communal washrooms actually tend to be cleaner than private ones unless you're someone who'll clean your washroom multiple times a week).