Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dress code for events on OSCAR Chris98 Academics 10 10-10-2010 02:48 PM
Dress for Success! temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-05-2009 10:57 AM

how to dress

Old 09-02-2009 at 08:16 PM   #1
Theexe1

Liked: 0 Times

how to dress
soooooo im just wondering how people at university dress during a regular day at school. I do not want to overdo it or underdo it.
Old 09-02-2009 at 08:16 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theexe1 View Post
soooooo im just wondering how people at university dress during a regular day at school. I do not want to overdo it or underdo it.
Just casual, some people actually go to class in their pyjamas.

Infinity, Taunton, xo.monica like this.
Old 09-02-2009 at 08:17 PM   #3
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theexe1 View Post
Ultra casual. I've seen people still in their PJ's in early lectures.

Don't worry about what you wear.

->> Bah, you beat me Jeremy!
Old 09-02-2009 at 08:37 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

heels = not an appropriate reason to be late for class.

I had a prof make fun of a fellow classmate for her excuse. I found it hilarious.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Keenu, xo.monica, _Luu_ like this.
Old 09-02-2009 at 08:38 PM   #5
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

:p Mac is very "comfortable" compared to other schools (York, Western).

I wouldn't worry about it, I dress like a bum half the time.

Equinox likes this.
Old 09-02-2009 at 08:39 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

The only reason I didn't wear PJs last year was because I worked everyday. Otherwise I would have.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-02-2009 at 08:43 PM   #7
KafiaJM

It's cool that Mac is so casual. But what does that mean for people who dress up a little more. (I'm not talking about anything impractical.) Do they stick out like a sore thumb? Does anyone care?
Old 09-02-2009 at 08:44 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KafiaJM View Post
It's cool that Mac is so casual. But what does that mean for people who dress up a little more. (I'm not talking about anything impractical.) Do they stick out like a sore thumb? Does anyone care?
I don't think anyone cares, just don't dress formal.
Old 09-02-2009 at 08:47 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KafiaJM View Post
Yes and no.

You can tell when Commerce students are giving a group presentation because there will be 4-5 people sitting in a group in suits and a jacket. For them, that is part of the "dress code".

But no one really does or says anything...

However if you are wearing something completely impractical or really outrageous you may get some stares or hear some comments...but that's it really. University isn't cliquey like high school in that regard.

Keenu likes this.
Old 09-02-2009 at 08:50 PM   #10
KafiaJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I don't think anyone cares, just don't dress formal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Yes and no.

You can tell when Commerce students are giving a group presentation because there will be 4-5 people sitting in a group in suits and a jacket. For them, that is part of the "dress code".

But no one really does or says anything...

However if you are wearing something completely impractical or really outrageous you may get some stares or hear some comments...but that's it really. University isn't cliquey like high school in that regard.
Thank God.
Amd thank you guys.
Old 09-02-2009 at 09:17 PM   #11
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

Yeah Mac is very laid back in terms of judging by what you wear and just in general dress code in classes
No one cares what you dress like, unless you're like a cross dresser..

But A FEW times I've had classmates/random people in lines, etc say stuff like
" why do you wear heels/why are you so dressed up, etc" to me.. don't take offense, I just wasn't brought up to be able to wear like track pants or hoodies or sneakers outside the house/gym

I'd say theres a big mix of those who dress up and down so either way you won't stand out:
Old 09-02-2009 at 09:19 PM   #12
niteskie
Elite Member

Liked: 45 Times

Ahhh Thank God.
Old 09-02-2009 at 09:20 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
Yeah Mac is very laid back in terms of judging by what you wear and just in general dress code in classes
No one cares what you dress like, unless you're like a cross dresser..

But A FEW times I've had classmates/random people in lines, etc say stuff like
" why do you wear heels/why are you so dressed up, etc" to me.. don't take offense, I just wasn't brought up to be able to wear like track pants or hoodies or sneakers outside the house/gym

I'd say theres a big mix of those who dress up and down so either way you won't stand out:
Lol, the same reason why people ask me "why are you wearing jeans?" on a cruise in the middle of summer XD

By the way, I always wear jeans no matter the weather. -40 degrees +40degrees, it doesn't matter to me.
Old 09-02-2009 at 09:27 PM   #14
loyalty

Liked: 1 Time

I've noticed that people who commute tend to be more dressed up than people who live on campus or nearby. As well, people in programs such as Hummanities are more well dressed than Science or Engineering.

Overall I would say McMaster is really laid back comparing to UTM where people actually put the effort to get all dressed up.

lol...thats just what i've observed.

manaya likes this.
Old 09-02-2009 at 09:30 PM   #15
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

The only time I ever care at all about what I'm wearing is

a) during presentations
b) during meetings with important people

Otherwise, comfort always comes first!