MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dropping a course ruby101 General Discussion 4 06-24-2011 04:08 PM
Dropping a course? andrewjdg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 01-19-2011 09:18 AM
Dropping out.. Cassandraa87 Academics 7 01-11-2011 11:19 PM
Dropping a Course Scuderia Academics 8 11-13-2010 05:08 AM
Dropping a Course goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 11-15-2009 09:46 PM

Dropping A Course Help!

Old 09-27-2011 at 08:28 PM   #1
Joyceyblank

Liked: 3 Times

Dropping A Course Help!
I'm a first year, and I want to drop a course this semester. I see that it's mandatory to take 30 credits this year to get into Honours Kinesiology next year. However, I'm going to be taking summer school for 6 units as well, so will I still be able to apply for Honours Kinesiology?

Secondly, will graduate schools mind if I took a course in summer school to replace this credit? How does Mac count marks from those anyway? an actual mark or pass/ fail basis?

Thirdly, I know that the deadline to drop a course was last (or the one before) Friday. If I remember correctly, it was so that the dropped course won't appear on my transcript. However, when's the deadline to drop before I get a zero by default? as well, what's so bad about having a dropped course appear on my transcript? It's only for this semester's report only anyways?!

finally, how is OSAP affected and do I have to inform certain people if I were to drop it on SOLAR?
thanks so much!

Last edited by Joyceyblank : 09-27-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-28-2011 at 08:22 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyceyblank View Post
I'm a first year, and I want to drop a course this semester. I see that it's mandatory to take 30 credits this year to get into Honours Kinesiology next year. However, I'm going to be taking summer school for 6 units as well, so will I still be able to apply for Honours Kinesiology?

Secondly, will graduate schools mind if I took a course in summer school to replace this credit? How does Mac count marks from those anyway? an actual mark or pass/ fail basis?

Thirdly, I know that the deadline to drop a course was last (or the one before) Friday. If I remember correctly, it was so that the dropped course won't appear on my transcript. However, when's the deadline to drop before I get a zero by default? as well, what's so bad about having a dropped course appear on my transcript? It's only for this semester's report only anyways?!

finally, how is OSAP affected and do I have to inform certain people if I were to drop it on SOLAR?
thanks so much!
No, it's not just for this term's report. It will show up on your permanent transcript, which encompasses every course you take at McMaster.

Some grad/professional schools care if you take summer courses, some don't, but what they tend to care about more is you not having a full course load. Depending on the school, it can result in your average being calculated differently or you being put at a disadvantage when it comes to ranking candidates, and some don't care as long as you have completed at least one year with a full course load. It depends entirely on the school/program you're looking at.

Many programs allow conditional acceptance, where if you're missing 3-6units of requirements you can make it up in the summer. Check with an academic advisor to make sure kin allows that.
Old 10-20-2011 at 10:17 AM   #3
Joyceyblank

would this "full course load" problem be solved if I take 6 courses next semester? so I still have the 10 full course load courses? then would the grad/ professional school still mind?
Old 10-20-2011 at 10:34 AM   #4
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

yes it would but you would need permission to overload and they don't let a lot of first year students do it, from what i've heard
Old 10-20-2011 at 12:35 PM   #5
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

isnt a full course load 4 courses anyways
Old 10-20-2011 at 01:58 PM   #6
Joyceyblank

no, it's 10 courses/ yr for us
Old 10-20-2011 at 02:24 PM   #7
nishan

Liked: 0 Times

Does grad schools care if a course shows up as "cancelled" on ur transcript???
Old 10-20-2011 at 09:36 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
isnt a full course load 4 courses anyways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyceyblank View Post
no, it's 10 courses/ yr for us
Full course load=30 units for everyone except engineers

Full-time student=24 units (I think it's a bit different between what the MSU considers a full-time student compared to the university itself, but 24 units is a full-time student for both)

And yes, some grad/professional schools care. Some don't. Some only care if you've got a ton of cancelled courses.
Old 10-20-2011 at 10:58 PM   #9
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Full course load=30 units for everyone except engineers

Full-time student=24 units (I think it's a bit different between what the MSU considers a full-time student compared to the university itself, but 24 units is a full-time student for both)

And yes, some grad/professional schools care. Some don't. Some only care if you've got a ton of cancelled courses.
MSU services students with 18 or more units. I never knew the university was different.
Old 10-21-2011 at 01:58 PM   #10
5.98e24

Liked: 12 Times

I started this year taking 6 courses in first term (this term). I ended up dropping one and adding a different course to next term (before I had 4 courses for second term; now I have 5). I don't think it counts as overloading if you have 6 courses in one term.