MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Walking from class to class without being late aw07 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 50 06-22-2011 12:53 AM
Getting up early - any advises? lucas General Discussion 51 11-03-2010 01:29 AM
can i drop a class in term 2 and take a class in term 1??? Cassandraa87 Academics 4 08-10-2010 12:58 PM
ECON 1B03, need to switch afternoon class for the morning class. Sintos Academics 3 01-06-2010 05:12 PM

how early do you go to class

Old 08-16-2011 at 02:01 PM   #16
katrinabell

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Why don't people tend to seat in the front-row seats and sit in the 3rd-5th row?
No one wants attention on them. If you want to get to know your professors or have them recognize your face, sit closer to the front.
Old 08-16-2011 at 02:02 PM   #17
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney View Post
Personally I don't like to sit near the front because I fall asleep during lecture....often. And why would you want to sit in front of the prof, if (due to microphone/powerpoint technology) you can see/hear perfectly fine in the middle or even the back?
The only benefit is the extra leg room + not have to jump over 20 people to get to a seat.

+ if you want to voice record the lecture, probably best to sit near front to avoid noise.
Old 08-16-2011 at 02:04 PM   #18
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

Once for Bio 1M03 i said to myself okay sit at the front so you won't fall asleep, falling asleep right in front of the prof...that's just rude! It was the worst lecture...

Anyways that being said, you really do not need to arrive 30 mins early. 10 mins is good! Sometimes even if you're right on time you can still get a front row seat. You might even realize front row isn't the best, I like the middle section.
Old 08-16-2011 at 02:10 PM   #19
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Also, if you wanna talk during lectures, please go sit in the ****ing back corner. Asdfgkldnhkl.

lis25 says thanks to ikantsepll for this post.

Old 08-16-2011 at 02:12 PM   #20
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times

I thought that Welcome Week runs till September 11th, how come classes start on Thursday?
Old 08-16-2011 at 02:17 PM   #21
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
You'll see for yourself where you like to sit. I've almost always sat near the middle right section of the lecture halls. But one reason is that it's hard to save seats for friends in the front row becuase of the regulars that sit there already. Don't mess with them. Ever.
What if you're one of the 'regulars', but kay.
Old 08-16-2011 at 02:28 PM   #22
3am Coffee

Liked: 155 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny06 View Post
In relation to this, are the doors to the lecture halls closed/entrance is prohibited after a certain amount of time? For example, if you happen to arrive 5-10 minutes late, would you no longer be allowed to enter the lecture hall?
I wouldn't have a university education if this was a rule.

Desda says thanks to 3am Coffee for this post.

Old 08-16-2011 at 02:34 PM   #23
vinny06

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3am Coffee View Post
I wouldn't have a university education if this was a rule.
ahaha, I was just making sure because I've heard of some universities not allowing students into lecture halls after it starts because 'it disturbs those who were there on time'.
Old 08-16-2011 at 02:35 PM   #24
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I've seen people save an entire row for their friends.
That's just disgraceful. We all pay to be here.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

macsci says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.

britb, lizziepizzie, macsci like this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 02:36 PM   #25
katrinabell

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampis View Post
I thought that Welcome Week runs till September 11th, how come classes start on Thursday?
That's just how life works. Classes start the Thursday of Welcome Week every year.

Swampis says thanks to katrinabell for this post.
Old 08-16-2011 at 02:41 PM   #26
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny06 View Post
ahaha, I was just making sure because I've heard of some universities not allowing students into lecture halls after it starts because 'it disturbs those who were there on time'.
Actually, certain lecture halls it does matter. Like the ones in JHE only have doors in the front, so even if you come a couple mins late, the entire lecture hall will stare at you as you find a seat and probably trip over from all the eyes on you o_o

Desda says thanks to ikantsepll for this post.

Faer, lizziepizzie, Moghue like this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 03:46 PM   #27
samples

Liked: 0 Times

I usually am there around 15 minutes early but you may find that for mid day classes there will already be a class in the room and you won't be able to get in until 10 minutes before your class time anyways. This means that if you want to be early you would have to be there before the end of the class thats already in the room.
Old 08-16-2011 at 03:59 PM   #28
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
You'll see for yourself where you like to sit. I've almost always sat near the middle right section of the lecture halls. But one reason is that it's hard to save seats for friends in the front row becuase of the regulars that sit there already. Don't mess with them. Ever.
Hell yeah. Though I'm more of a second-third row, extreme left/right regular...
Old 08-16-2011 at 04:13 PM   #29
Dopematic

Liked: 28 Times

That awkward moment when you walk into ABB 102 ten minutes late because of the rain or snow.
Is it just me, or do your wet shoes squeak even louder when you're late? The acoustics of that room are phenomenal. The placement of the entrance is also pretty sweet: right at the front, next to white board.

I was late a lot.

Desda says thanks to Dopematic for this post.

Old 08-16-2011 at 04:54 PM   #30
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I usually go to class like 10-15 minutes early because I like to sit in the front. Haha, definitely listen to Farid's idea and befriend some of the people who sit in the front! My friends sit in the front as well so it was really easy to save seats for each other. It doesn't really matter if you go in late because most lecture halls have doors at the back. The only exceptions I can think of is JHE 376 and ABB 102 which have the doors in the front. I suggest you don't go late to these classes. I was late once or twice and.. let's just say never again -_-.

ikantsepll likes this.