Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solar - can I get in early? Ruggedman Academics 10 07-03-2008 10:01 PM

Getting up early - any advises?

Old 11-01-2010 at 12:55 AM   #1
lucas

Liked: 1 Time

Getting up early - any advises?
I can always wake up early if i hav classes or tests early in the morning
but on usual days, i just turn my alarm off and go back to sleep..
I set about 8 alarms with my cellphone, but i turn all of them off..

any advises?
Old 11-01-2010 at 01:02 AM   #2
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Letting light into your room helps naturally wake you up. Also keep all your alarm clocks out of an arm's reach from your bed. if you have to get up to shut them up you are more likely to stay up. Also visiting forums at 2 am doesn't help.

Last edited by Replekia : 11-01-2010 at 01:09 AM.

Old 11-01-2010 at 01:19 AM   #3
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Haha. Came to university and started sleeping at 3:00 am :(
Old 11-01-2010 at 01:26 AM   #4
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
Letting light into your room helps naturally wake you up. Also keep all your alarm clocks out of an arm's reach from your bed. if you have to get up to shut them up you are more likely to stay up. Also visiting forums at 2 am doesn't help.
i woke up at like 630 pm yesterday... so i doubt the sunshine thru my window and my alarm clock helped
Old 11-01-2010 at 01:27 AM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I have the same problem. I'm a master of turning off alarms subconsciously.

My mom got me this alarm a couple Christmases ago that basically shoots off a helicopter that flies around the room. The way you turn it off is by finding the helicopter and putting it back on the stand.

Only problem with it was, it I tried to hit it to turn it off while it was starting up, it would basically cut my hand off. That and some times when the thing flew off it's base, it would decent down and nearly land on my face.

I only use it in situations where it's critically important that I wake up. :p

Afzal, Desda, Geek like this.
Old 11-01-2010 at 01:33 AM   #6
lucas

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post

My mom got me this alarm a couple Christmases ago that basically shoots off a helicopter that flies around the room. The way you turn it off is by finding the helicopter and putting it back on the stand.

Only problem with it was, it I tried to hit it to turn it off while it was starting up, it would basically cut my hand off. That and some times when the thing flew off it's base, it would decent down and nearly land on my face.

thats awesome!
can you tell me where i can get it ??
or at least the name of it?
Old 11-01-2010 at 01:35 AM   #7
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

I wake up like 10 or 12 this semester cause I have late classes .... But next semester , I have to wake 8 all of the weekdays , its gana be bad :(
Old 11-01-2010 at 01:37 AM   #8
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

Quote:

I want one of those !!!
Old 11-01-2010 at 01:43 AM   #9
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:

that sounds helpful... but i's probably end up breaking it after a week
Old 11-01-2010 at 01:47 AM   #10
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:

I thought I was the only one turning alarm clocks off subconsciously. Hahaha. Well, I just wake up whenever I feel like it and don't go to class.
Old 11-01-2010 at 05:31 AM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I don't generally have a problem with waking up, just staying up. I'll regularly get up nicely, have a shower, then go back to my room for a nap...at 7 in the morning, LOL
Old 11-01-2010 at 06:58 AM   #12
Yakattack
Chatbot 2.0

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
I don't generally have a problem with waking up, just staying up. I'll regularly get up nicely, have a shower, then go back to my room for a nap...at 7 in the morning, LOL
Yeah im the same. staying up is just so much harder >.<
Old 11-01-2010 at 07:33 AM   #13
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas View Post
thats awesome!
can you tell me where i can get it ??
or at least the name of it?
http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/lights/9171/

The same design has been copied by like a million companies, so it shouldn't be hard to find an even cheaper asian knock-off. lol
Old 11-01-2010 at 08:26 AM   #14
EmilySusie

Liked: 18 Times

When I was in first year I had four 8:30am classes... all semester. I would wake up at 5:30AM-6:00AM most mornings, mainly because I commute and needed to give myself enough time. But I'm actually not naturally a morning person. It's something that you need to work on but you can train yourself to be a morning person.

It's a lot harder for me now because I don't have as many morning classes. One thing that helps is the trick other people mentioned- putting your alarm across the room. But I find after a few days that stops working for me. I give myself a rule that when I wake up in the morning I need to leave my room. I put my laptop in my living room because I know that I normally use it in the morning, for checking e-mail, studying, etc.

Eating breakfast helps a lot, and that also forces you to leave your room, even if it's just grabbing a handful of cereal or an apple.

Obviously going to bed at a decent time. I usually aim for around 11:30/12 at least, if not earlier. If I wake up at around 6:30-7:30am that's usually enough. I find going to bed any later than 12-1am always makes me sleep in and be way more tired. If I go to bed late, I'll sleep for 10 hours sometimes, if I go to bed earlier, I only need about 7 or so hours. It's about messing with your internal clock, your body doesn't want to go to bed really late.

I found that I prefer getting things done in the morning, like studying. Staying up late to work stresses me out. So that gives me incentive to wake up early. Even if I only wake up about one hour earlier that gives me time to study before class. Or if I wake up 20 minutes earlier, I can catch the bus 20 minutes earlier, and I can beat the rush. It helps if you have some kind of incentive to wake up earlier.
Old 11-01-2010 at 08:51 AM   #15
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

put the clock on the floor across the room so u have to get up to turn it off