MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Completing Undergrad early oli13 Academics 4 07-01-2010 07:51 PM
SOLAR re-opens for those who registered early Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 08-13-2009 09:01 AM

Solar - can I get in early?

Old 07-02-2008 at 02:02 PM   #1
Ruggedman

Liked: 0 Times

Solar - can I get in early?
I am a social science student so the date for me to pick my classes is on July 4th. (Friday) Do we register for SOLAR on the date we are allowed to pick our classes or can we do it prior?

I went on my MUGSI and clicked the SOLAR link but it is unavailible to me so i am just wondering, do you open up or whatever your SOLAR on the day you are allowed to pick your classes?

I am very confused wtih this and dont even know how SOLAR works since i havent been able to open it or anything.

Feedback on this would be greatly appreaciated
Old 07-02-2008 at 03:45 PM   #2
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Starting July 4th, you'll be able to access SOLAR to select your classes.

It can seem ambiguous at first, but once you actually get on SOLAR the process isn't that complicated (it's just really, really slow). Macinsiders has some really good articles to help you with your course selection:
Course Selection Tips
Common Issues with SOLAR

Old 07-02-2008 at 04:26 PM   #3
zaidyusufani
Account Disabled by User

Im first year engineering, today I finished my SOLAR registration, It worked very well, It was quick and had no problem at all.

Its very easy to use as well, But if you need some help then check this article and video:

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1860 6 (Article)

http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/prospecti...oimages/RP.AVI (Video)

Note: you need AVI format player (DivX is recommended and its for free)
Old 07-02-2008 at 06:45 PM   #4
Ruggedman

Thanks, the links were extremley helpful!

However, are we supposed to choose the tutorial and core sections? because i am pretty sure i read around some forums we aren't supposed to do that, just pick your classes and get out of there.

Can someone clarify?
Old 07-02-2008 at 06:52 PM   #5
zaidyusufani
Account Disabled by User

You don't need to choose tutorials, labs or core sections.

I did my registration today, I was asked to choose the course name, course code, term and day or evening (most of the courses has no evening time)
Old 07-02-2008 at 06:54 PM   #6
Ruggedman

Because in the Video posted above it shows them choosing their core, tutorial and whatnot, so now im confused....again
Old 07-02-2008 at 07:16 PM   #7
hmac

They used to be able to do that, so anything from last year etc will say you can. However, this year SOLAR chooses them for us. It's a bit annoying for those of us who had a schedule worked out, but that's how it's going for now.
Old 07-02-2008 at 11:46 PM   #8
Ruggedman

If i plan on logging into Solar at midnight (like the rest of Mac) and i dont get some of the electives i want, or their full, does this mean i have no shot at getting them?

And doesnt that screw alot of people over because what if im stuck taking courses i absoloutley hate? Any way around this?
Old 07-02-2008 at 11:50 PM   #9
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaidyusufani View Post
You don't need to choose tutorials, labs or core sections.

I did my registration today, I was asked to choose the course name, course code, term and day or evening (most of the courses has no evening time)
Hey what electives did you get into?
Old 07-03-2008 at 12:17 AM   #10
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggedman View Post
Thanks, the links were extremley helpful!

However, are we supposed to choose the tutorial and core sections? because i am pretty sure i read around some forums we aren't supposed to do that, just pick your classes and get out of there.

Can someone clarify?
Did you view the links Kenneth gave you?

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1860 6 This one explains it exactly... see point #1.

Also, see course selection dates: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1810 0

Soc Sci Year 1 hasn't been allowed into SOLAR yet. You're allowed in on Friday.
Old 07-03-2008 at 10:01 PM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggedman View Post
If i plan on logging into Solar at midnight (like the rest of Mac) and i dont get some of the electives i want, or their full, does this mean i have no shot at getting them?

And doesnt that screw alot of people over because what if im stuck taking courses i absoloutley hate? Any way around this?
It depends. We're really not sure at this point what is going on with SOLAR, as there have been a lot of issues with required courses being full. This is a larger issue to the administration at this time, so they're likely focusing on that.

During the Drop and Add period (first week of classes in September) many people tend to drop courses after attending the first class. So if you can't get in it beforehand, you may be able to do so then.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement