MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Earth Science 3CC3 Anaam 3rd Year Course Reviews 33 06-12-2015 08:01 AM
Dropping Earth/Enviro Sci 3CC3?? Let me know! kammy435 Academics 2 01-06-2010 01:36 AM
Enviro Sci 1G03 and Earth Sci 3CC3 Tanya_33 Academics 7 09-18-2009 10:47 PM
Earth Sci 3cc3 Tanya_33 General Discussion 1 08-29-2009 07:23 AM
Earth and Envir Science LBJ.MVP First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-09-2009 10:49 AM

earth/envir sci 3B03 vs 3CC3

Old 05-28-2011 at 08:37 PM   #1
yum24

Liked: 0 Times

earth/envir sci 3B03 vs 3CC3
Which one would you recommend and why. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2011 at 10:17 PM   #2
karna

Liked: 28 Times

bernier is teaching CC3 so it should be good.
Old 05-28-2011 at 10:57 PM   #3
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

I took both last year. 3cc3 was easier. 3b03 was more interesting. Loved it!

Old 06-04-2011 at 05:44 PM   #4
Navi

How easy was 3b03? Like how much work did you have to put in to get a good mark?
Old 06-05-2011 at 07:09 PM   #5
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

RE: 3B03

There is no textbook so you have to attend every single class. Miss one and you'll need to get someone else's notes.
The assignments are reasonable as is the final project. The midterms are fairly simple. Studying from the slides and paying attention in class should allow you to get all of the answers. They were in short answer format so I thought they were easier. The final exam is pretty much the same with essay questions too.

I thought it was a very enjoyable class though. All of the course material came together in the end and I finished the course feeling like I'd really learned some useful stuff.

Old 06-05-2011 at 08:45 PM   #6
jass

To Moops,

When you took EARTH SC 3B03 was WADDINGTON teaching it? I am thinking of taking it this year and it is a night course 2nd semester from 7-10 with waddington. Could you describe the workload - as in is it that you can get a good grade if you put in the work or is it a really easy course? Thank you so much.

Jass
Old 06-06-2011 at 07:32 AM   #7
sf

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
To Moops,

When you took EARTH SC 3B03 was WADDINGTON teaching it? I am thinking of taking it this year and it is a night course 2nd semester from 7-10 with waddington. Could you describe the workload - as in is it that you can get a good grade if you put in the work or is it a really easy course? Thank you so much.

Jass
Waddington teaches 3B03 every year since it focuses on his research area. The night class aspect was painful at times since we didn't get many break and he is an akward lecturer. The 2 assignments and project were fairly simple and didn't take much time at all, although I did know a number of people who struggled with them. You have to put work into this course to do well, you won't get an easy A without doing anything. Just be sure to go to all classes and get help when you need it, as I found that the assignments were misleading and had many typos which if you didn't find that out would affect how you did.

jass says thanks to sf for this post.
Old 06-06-2011 at 07:36 AM   #8
sf

Liked: 36 Times

After having both profs for multiple classes I would say that 3CC3 is definitely the better option. The class will be easier and well as lectures should be a bit better.
When I took 3B03 last year I found it disorganized and it seemed like not a lot of time had been put in prepping for it. (ex. the second assignment had several key typos in it). For me 3B03 just felt like I was being bombarded with stats on climate change and I didn't really learn anything. That could be because I am in the enviro program so I have learned all this before but this class really didnt go too indepth on climate change/ecosystems, it more just focused on his research areas.

jass says thanks to sf for this post.
Old 06-06-2011 at 10:28 AM   #9
IcexFire

Liked: 6 Times

I think the best advice is: If Bernier is teaching 3CC3, take that over 3B03. If Kim is teaching it, steer clear and opt for 3B03. 3B03 is more difficult to ace in terms of material but Kim makes 3CC3 alot more difficult that it should be.