MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Dropping Earth/Enviro Sci 3CC3?? Let me know! kammy435 Academics 2 01-06-2010 01:36 AM
Enviro Sci 1G03 and Earth Sci 3CC3 Tanya_33 Academics 7 09-18-2009 10:47 PM
Earth Sci 3cc3 Tanya_33 General Discussion 1 08-29-2009 07:23 AM

Earth Science 3CC3

Old 01-06-2011 at 09:57 PM   #31
Anaam

Liked: 4 Times

Earth Science 3CC3
Took this in Winter 2010 with John Maclachlan. He is a great professor. I can't remember the exact break down but it was something like this.
-4 assignments total 40%?
-1 Midterm 20%
-Exam 30%

^ Something along those likes. Either that, or there were 2 midterms and...
Old 08-15-2012 at 07:33 PM   #30
bonomove

Liked: 0 Times
Does anyone happen to have information on how this course was with Dr. Kim?
Thanks
Old 09-04-2012 at 01:28 PM   #31
hudsonka

Has anyone taken this with Dr. S. Kim? Or is this a new professor for the class?
Old 01-08-2013 at 11:14 AM   #32
mansz

Latest Course Review
Hi everyone, I took this course in the Fall 2012 term with Dr. Tae-Sang Kim so I thought some people might like an updated course review.

Here's the basic breakdown:

Quizzes (2x7.5%) = 15%
Term Paper = 15%
Midterm = 25%
Final = 45%

Chapters 1-10, 11(only images) 12-15, 17 were covered in class. The midterm covered material from Chapter 1-7 and the final was cumulative.

The quizzes were fairly simple in my opinion. You just really need to look for the answers in the textbook or lecture notes (if you take good ones).

The midterm was made up of 30 multiple choices questions, but Dr. Kim mentioned that he was probably going to change it.

The final was ALL short/long answered questions (definitions, etc.). It wasn't my favourite exam, but it was pretty fair.

Personally, I was bored out of my mind for this course. Maybe it was because of the room we were in or because of Dr. Kim's monotone voice. Dr. Kim gets most of the information from the textbook, like literally regurgitates it. So if you don't want to go to class then I'd say go buy the textbook, and vice versa if you don't want to buy the textbook. The term paper was SO simple because for most of the term we talked about climate proxies so by the time you need to write it, you know everything there is know about it already. I took this course as an elective and I'm pretty satisfied with my mark, but it DEFINITELY doesn't sky rocket in my "interesting electives" list

Hope this helps!
Old 01-08-2013 at 11:17 AM   #33
mansz

Correction! Dr. Sang-Tae Kim (SORRY!!)
Old 06-12-2015 at 08:01 AM   #34
bobsingh

Liked: 11 Times
Took this course in Fall 2014 with Dr. Sang-Tae Kim. It's not a bird course but its not a difficult course either. The breakdown was:

Quizzes (2x7.5%) = 15%
Term Paper = 15%
Midterm = 25%
Final = 45%

The quizzes were straightforword from the textbook/lecture notes (he uses the publishers slides so if you don't go to class its okay). The midterm was fair and some questions he took from the net. It was all MC and didn't have any tricky questions. The term paper was the easiest part of the course and wasn't marked difficult at all but it required some work. It was similar to Berniers term papers for his courses (for those who want a comparison). The final exam was the most intense part of the course as it was ALL short answer/long answer but the good part was that Dr. Kim told us exactly what was going to be on it. He literally told us the whole exam except the last long answer question which was very helpful on his part. It is a 12able course and the class avg was quite high with many people getting 11s and 12s. Definitely recommend it if your trying to complete the life sci requirement of 6 units from the 3rd year list (much easier than Life Sci 3A03/3J03/etc).

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search