MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
Easiest Second year economics course? kanishka Academics 4 08-19-2010 04:24 PM
first year electives Katelyn999 Academics 3 07-03-2010 09:25 PM
First year electives KGood First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-14-2010 06:36 PM
2nd year ELECTIVES kwyhan Academics 4 06-13-2010 11:34 PM

Easiest 1st year electives?

Old 06-28-2011 at 01:01 AM   #1
MackenzieS

Liked: 0 Times

Easiest 1st year electives?
I'm worried I'm going to do pretty bad in engineering first year, so I was looking for 2 easy electives to help me out. I'm not really interested in taking an elective that interests me, just soemthing that's really, really easy. Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-28-2011 at 01:07 AM   #2
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackenzieS View Post
I'm worried I'm going to do pretty bad in engineering first year, so I was looking for 2 easy electives to help me out. I'm not really interested in taking an elective that interests me, just soemthing that's really, really easy. Thanks in advance!!
This may sound cliche, but do not go in with that attitude. If you do, you're more likely to do worse than you would if you went in with an open mind and positive attitude. Your marks may not be what you're used to, but so what? You got here right? Clearly you have what it takes to succeed, so just go in, do the work, and you'll be fine.

abelon3 likes this.
Old 06-28-2011 at 01:11 AM   #3
Sel_s

Liked: 1 Time

I personally found that the courses I had a genuine interest in were also the ones I did best in.

I r Babboon likes this.
Old 06-28-2011 at 02:57 AM   #4
Allana:)

Liked: 46 Times

If you're musically inclined, join a music ensemble. It's full year but for only 3 units. However, it is more like a club than a course, so in one of your semesters, it would be like having 1 less course!

I would also recommend linguistics if you're interested in language. It's like math, but with language and it's really easy because you just need to learn the rules and whatnot and then apply them to words and sentences etc.

Beyond that, I agree with the posts before me. Take something that you're interested in. You'll do well in a course that you don't resent.
Old 06-28-2011 at 06:29 AM   #5
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

I'd recommend Linguistics, definitely, it was the best course I took in my first year. But then again, you should be interested in it. I got an (easy) 12, but you know, the average for both the midterm and the final was ~65%, which isn't that high at all.

MY POINT. Choose something you're interested in, too. 'Cause at least you'll look forward to that class!
Old 06-28-2011 at 07:45 AM   #6
Anna21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allana:) View Post
If you're musically inclined, join a music ensemble. It's full year but for only 3 units. However, it is more like a club than a course, so in one of your semesters, it would be like having 1 less course!

I would also recommend linguistics if you're interested in language. It's like math, but with language and it's really easy because you just need to learn the rules and whatnot and then apply them to words and sentences etc.

Beyond that, I agree with the posts before me. Take something that you're interested in. You'll do well in a course that you don't resent.
Is there a choir course I can take that's like this? If so, what's the course code?
Old 06-28-2011 at 01:13 PM   #7
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Definitely pick a course you're interested in... unless it's a stupidly easy course (to the point you'd get marks for doing nothing) you're going to have little to no motivation to actually do the stuff to get you the marks, no matter how easy it is. Especially if you're more interested in the science/math stuff from eng.

Regardless though, I found PSYCH 1X03 and CMST 1A03 pretty easy. But, you've gotta have some ounce of interest in it to actually do well it (easily).
Old 06-28-2011 at 04:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna21 View Post
Is there a choir course I can take that's like this? If so, what's the course code?
Yes there is!

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...12/pg1885.html

As you can see here, the first one is called MUSIC 1GC3, but then there are upper year versions of it as well. Unfortunately, you can't register for the course until you've auditioned successfully though. However, the audition for choir is very easy. Good luck!

Anna21 says thanks to Allana:) for this post.
Old 06-28-2011 at 05:53 PM   #9
MCMashetty

Liked: 15 Times

Sociology. Got a 90 easy. it's a full year course though, so it might not be your best option. It would count as both your electives
Old 06-28-2011 at 07:52 PM   #10
Anna21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allana:) View Post
Yes there is!

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...12/pg1885.html

As you can see here, the first one is called MUSIC 1GC3, but then there are upper year versions of it as well. Unfortunately, you can't register for the course until you've auditioned successfully though. However, the audition for choir is very easy. Good luck!
Thank you so much! Do you know what's required in the audition? Do they make you sight read or do you have to prepare your own piece? And how much theory is in the course?

I called the music department today and they told me if I successfully audition and get into it, I'd have to drop one of my electives. So am I just dropping one but it'll still be a full year course with 3 units? I feel like that would make my semesters uneven haha.
Old 06-28-2011 at 08:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna21 View Post
Thank you so much! Do you know what's required in the audition? Do they make you sight read or do you have to prepare your own piece? And how much theory is in the course?

I called the music department today and they told me if I successfully audition and get into it, I'd have to drop one of my electives. So am I just dropping one but it'll still be a full year course with 3 units? I feel like that would make my semesters uneven haha.
Last year, we had to sing back little patterns that the conductor played on the piano and then we had to sight sing a really easy melody. It was really easy.

There's no theory, but you do need to be able to read music at least somewhat in order to follow along in the music. It isn't a course like other courses because it's also a club. Lots of people are in the choir and aren't getting credit for it. If you take it as a course, you get tested on the pieces the week-ish before the concerts and you also get marked on attendance and helpfulness with putting chairs away and whatnot.

Yes, it would still be a full year course only worth 3 units. That would indeed make the semesters uneven. However, that could be a good thing. For instance, if you're the type that starts to get tired at the end of the year, it might be nice to have a lighter second semester. Since you're in first year, it might alternatively be nice to have a lighter course load in the first semester, while you're getting a hang of things. But if you have your heart set on symmetry, you could just be in the choir as an extra-curricular activity. That's what I do.

Last edited by Allana:) : 06-28-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Anna21 says thanks to Allana:) for this post.
Old 06-28-2011 at 08:06 PM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

There's a looongg thread about this here: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...1.html?t=17111

Anna21 says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.