MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
Second year Eng electives? xxsumz Academics 7 06-16-2010 08:43 PM
2nd year hon. bio electives amandae Academics 12 06-09-2010 06:06 PM
Third Year Electives mnk1988 Academics 15 06-24-2009 11:25 AM
First Year Electives maturegoose Academics 2 08-21-2008 09:07 PM

First year electives

Old 06-13-2010 at 02:42 PM   #1
KGood

Liked: 0 Times

First year electives
Hey everyone, I'm going to be a first-year Eng. student come this Fall and I was wondering about my electives. After first year I'm hoping to get into Software Engineering (Game Design) and I was just curious about the Co-op course. How long is the 1EE0? Do I have to take it in my first year if I plan on having my Co-op in my 3rd or 4th year?

Also, I saw that the Game Design course is made so that you can go into a 1 year accelerated M. Eng after finished the undergrad. Would I need to take any extra electives to do that? Since I only get electives for first and second year.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 06-13-2010 at 06:57 PM   #2
erinn

Liked: 2 Times

Welcome to MacEng!! I know for a fact you can take 1EE0 whenever you want, it doesn't matter when, but you have to have it before you can access the online job bank OSCAR. I'm pretty sure 1EE0 is only half a term or something like that, not really too long. I would recommend taking it in first year just cause that way you have it, and it won't impact you in later years.

Join the McMaster Engineering '14 facebook group, there are tonnes of upper years there that would be more than happy to answer any of your questions!!
Old 06-14-2010 at 05:45 PM   #3
KGood

Liked: 0 Times

How many units does 1EE0 take? Because I'm looking to make a mock timetable and I'm wondering what electives I'm going to be able to take with it if I choose to put it in first year.
Old 06-14-2010 at 05:54 PM   #4
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

The last number is the units. Zero units means it doesn't count towards your average, though you still need to take it.

KGood likes this.
Old 06-14-2010 at 06:36 PM   #5
yeshuvai

Liked: 1 Time

It's a really short course. It's four 2 hour lectures or 2 four hour lectures, depending on what's offered. It only consists of a few short assignments, some of which you would do anyways for your first coop placement like employer research and preparing a resume and cover letter.

KGood likes this.