MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
Second year Eng electives? xxsumz Academics 7 06-16-2010 08:43 PM
First year electives KGood First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-14-2010 06:36 PM
2nd year hon. bio electives amandae Academics 12 06-09-2010 06:06 PM
Third Year Electives mnk1988 Academics 15 06-24-2009 11:25 AM

First Year Electives

Old 08-20-2008 at 11:22 PM   #1
maturegoose

Liked: 0 Times

First Year Electives
Hi, i am in first year engineering and am taking microeconomics as my elective. I was wondering if it is necessary to take all six units of electives in first year, and if i only take microeconomics this year, whether i will have to take the other 3 units another year.
Old 08-21-2008 at 01:05 AM   #2
zoyy

Liked: 9 Times

Hi Kamil! When I took ENG 1 last yr, you did not need to complete the 6-units of complementary electives to move to level 2. You do have to complete them at some time before graduation. I'm sure it'll be the same for this yr, but if you would like to be absolutely certain, you can just call the eng 1 office: (905) 525-9140 ext. 24646 and ask.

Anyways, you are more than welcome to take the 3-unit elective during the summer. It gets difficult taking them in 2nd yr and above, because you may or may not be allowed to overload that year (take more units than necessary). You have to, I believe, get persmission from the department you will eventually be in. This is what I was told by Sally Williams, when I had that exact same question first year

Long story short, better to take them either first yr or in the summer - that way you have nothing to worry about come 2nd yr. because it'll be over and done with.

Last edited by #Eng. : 08-21-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-21-2008 at 09:07 PM   #3
JonP

Liked: 0 Times

#Eng. is right AFAIK. One thing you want to be sure of is to make sure you're taking electives you might need. If you're going into management, you need microecon for sure. Macro wouldn't be a bad idea either, IMO, because you'll have to take it one way or another if you choose to go management. Otherwise, I think you can just give'r with whatever you feel interested in.