MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
summer school easy electives for term2? civil First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-23-2010 02:08 PM
summer school easy electives for term2? civil Academics 1 06-23-2010 11:32 AM
Easy summer school courses Mickel Academics 6 03-25-2010 11:31 AM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM
Summer School First Year Easy Courses Richa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 06-24-2009 01:27 PM

Easy 1st year courses for Summer School

Old 02-23-2009 at 03:50 PM   #1
jstansfi

Liked: 0 Times

Easy 1st year courses for Summer School
Hi All,

I'm going to be doing 24 units this summer and two 3 unit courses of that is completely open. Since I'll be carrying such a heavy load I'd like to take the easiest 1st year courses I can. Ideal would be nothing but multiple choice tests/quizzes/exams but failing that minimum of assignments, no essays and a minimum of work generally Oh math doesn't bother me.

Already got Bio, Chem, Phys, Calc, and Econ...

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Josh

P.S.: Jeez, reading this back makes me sound so cynical. Oh well.
Old 02-23-2009 at 04:48 PM   #2
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

I don't believe that is possible.

Usually, people can only take up to 12 units (4 courses, 2 per term) over the summer, mostly due to the nature of summer school. It is NOT the same as doing regular school. You do 3 hours/class & 2 days a week + labs if they are required vs. 1 hour/class & 2-3 days a week.
Old 02-23-2009 at 05:06 PM   #3
jstansfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh999 View Post
I don't believe that is possible.

Usually, people can only take up to 12 units (4 courses, 2 per term) over the summer, mostly due to the nature of summer school. It is NOT the same as doing regular school. You do 3 hours/class & 2 days a week + labs if they are required vs. 1 hour/class & 2-3 days a week.
Theoretically you could take 36 units since there are course offered in the morning (very few), afternoonn and evening. As you say they run mon and wed or tu thu and each class is three hours. You can take up to 24 units without special permission. For 24 units or more you need permission from you're associate deans office. Wouldn't recommend taking nearly that many for you're average undergrad but I'll have a bsc bio from guelph after this semester and by taking 8 courses this summer will get a honours ba econ from mac at the end of next winter. I've already checked the schedule and all the econ classes I need don't conflict so I just need any two courses that fit my schedule. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 02-23-2009 at 06:50 PM   #4
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstansfi View Post
Hi All,

I'm going to be doing 24 units this summer and two 3 unit courses of that is completely open. Since I'll be carrying such a heavy load I'd like to take the easiest 1st year courses I can. Ideal would be nothing but multiple choice tests/quizzes/exams but failing that minimum of assignments, no essays and a minimum of work generally Oh math doesn't bother me.

Already got Bio, Chem, Phys, Calc, and Econ...

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Josh

P.S.: Jeez, reading this back makes me sound so cynical. Oh well.
err, may I ask why so many courses during your summer?

Old 02-23-2009 at 07:11 PM   #5
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

If the courses I needed were offered I'd be done the management portion of my degree this summer. Unfortunately I will have to wait until next year :(

I figure it's the same motivation in jstansfi's case.
Old 02-23-2009 at 10:39 PM   #6
jstansfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
err, may I ask why so many courses during your summer?
Cause I'll already have a 3 year degree at the end of this semester in Bio Sci, but I realized it wasn't the area for me. I figured out econ was and I'm tired of undergrad work so I want to get the two years of courses I need for a honours BA done ASAP. This way I cut a full 12 months off the time to completion and I'll have the second degree at the end of winter 2010.

Quote:
If the courses I needed were offered I'd be done the management portion of my degree this summer. Unfortunately I will have to wait until next year
Thats too bad, I got lucky since I needed two sets of consecutive courses and they weren't offered in non-conflicting times last summer, but are now. Just hope they don't cancel anything now.

Last edited by jstansfi : 02-23-2009 at 10:45 PM.