MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy First Year Electives Curly-2 Academics 557 09-21-2013 05:34 PM
Easy 2nd Year Electives ginaj Academics 11 12-24-2011 10:15 AM
Easy third year electives? tylerearl General Discussion 0 08-14-2011 05:08 PM
easy electives for first year luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 06-29-2010 11:29 PM
Easy First Year Electives? Sweetie321 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2009 06:35 PM

easy second year psych electives

Old 04-06-2012 at 12:35 PM   #1

Liked: 0 Times

easy second year psych electives
Hi, I'm in nursing and I'm considering getting a minor in pyschology, can someone tell me some easy second year psych electives?
Old 04-06-2012 at 12:37 PM   #2
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 327 Times

Reviews. Read them.

Good luck.

spyridm likes this.
Old 04-07-2012 at 11:51 PM   #3
elainechan

Liked: 1 Time

For psych electives, I've only taken psych 2C03 (social psych), 2B03 (personality) and 2AP3 (abnormal psych). Both Dr. Day and Dr. Ostovich are really great profs, so any of the above courses are worth taking. However, Dr. Day does recordings of his lectures so for personality and abnormal you don't necessarily have to go to class which gives you more flexibility, or if you didn't catch something in class you can listen to it again. However, I find that both personality and abnormal require a lot memorizing, especially abnormal, which isn't something I'm great at. On the other hand Dr. Ostovich's exams and midterms are a little tricky so you really have to know your material. So depending on your abilities you can choose one of those courses. However, I would definitely recommend any of them

Another course I would recommend is psych 2TT3 (animal behaviour). However, I took the honours psych version with Dr. Dukas BUT Dr. Beston is a good prof too and we used the same textbook as 2TT3 which was very, very interesting. If the material is similar then I would definitely recommend it. However, I don't know how Dr. Beston's midterms and exams are so yea ... if they're like Dr. Dukas' then that is an added bonus to really interesting course material
Old 04-08-2012 at 01:01 AM   #4
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

Animal behaviour, as elainechan mentioned, is a great course! I have Beston this term and he is engaging, finishes usually within 2 hours (in a 3 hour lecture time slot) and it is definitely my easiest course this year. I highly recommend it!
Old 04-25-2012 at 05:40 PM   #5
nadia8

Liked: 2 Times

I have taken a few psych courses with psych 2b03 being the most enjoyable with Dr. Day. Abnormal psych, 2ap3 is also very interesting, but the course centres on many stats that need to be memorized, which makes it a bit hard. Focusing on the personality (2b03), once you have taken this course, considering you want to do a minor, you have the pre-req to take positive psych (3ba3) which is also taught by dr. day and in my opinion a nice easy elective which is quite enjoyable too, centring on concepts of happiness, forgiveness and positive emotions. hope that helps.
Old 04-28-2012 at 09:02 AM   #6
Allana:)

Liked: 46 Times

Psych 2NF3 is really interesting. There is a decent amount of material you have to learn, but it is all easy to understand, especially if you're in a program where you study Bio. Basically, you learn a bunch of neuroscience, but you learn about disorders at the same time. For example, when we learned about tau proteins, we learned about Alzheimer's. I really liked the course because it made all of the neuroscience seem very relevant and we got to learn about the causes of lots of very interesting disorders. Also, the prof is great; he explains things really well. The workload is fairly light as well. There are no readings, so that's a plus. There are two midterms (both worth 25%) and a final (worth 50%). Overall, I really enjoyed the course, so I would definitely recommend it to you.

I also took psych 2H03. In this course, there is a textbook and you do need to read it, but it's a very quick read because the material is easy and quite intuitive. The course has multiple choice midterms though, which are not super easy, but you get to drop your lowest one. You also have to participate in 2 hours of experiments, write on the discussion board weekly and write a 3 page paper on one of the experiments you participated in. The experiments and the discussion board questions are pretty much free marks, which is nice. If you're interested in how we think, how we recognize things and pay attention, how memory works, then this would be a great course for you!

I hope this helped. Good luck!
Old 04-28-2012 at 08:24 PM   #7
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

Definitely recommend/easy to do well: abnormal, personality, animal behaviour
Sorta recommend/less easy: human learning & cognition
Avoid: neuroscience course, sensory processes
Never took: social psych, music cognition, child development
Old 05-01-2012 at 02:12 PM   #8
MichelleAnne

Liked: 0 Times

Anything with Dr. O or Dr. Day are good choices. Dr. O is super engaging and a really great lecturer. Child Development (Psych 2AA3) is a great course (taught by Dr. O) but you have to be careful because Psych 2AA3 is an anti-req for another Infant and Child Development (I believe a third year course... maybe 3Q?) and there are a couple upper year courses where the other child development course is a pre-req and you cannot use 2AA3 as a pre req. So, if you want to take any of those then you don't want to screw yourself over by taking 2AA3.

However, as a course I would def. recommend Psych 2AA3.

I would also recommend Psych 2C03, and it's a prereq for lots of other courses so it's useful as well as interesting.

Other interesting courses: Psych 2B03 (personality), Psych 2AP3 (abnormal), Psych 2NF3 (Neuro).

You basically can't go wrong with psych courses...
Old 05-02-2012 at 11:28 AM   #9
toocute

Liked: 4 Times

Abnormal Psychology! ( 2AP3)
Old 05-02-2012 at 12:02 PM   #10
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

If you wanna get double digit marks, then Abnormal and Personality (2AP3 and 2B03, respectively). He always says not to use the online quiz as a reference, but every time I've taken his class, I normally do 'em and I always see the same exact questions (even the grammar is the same). Again, that's up to your own discretion. He's never changed his style for years, but you never know.

Other interesting courses: Anything by Dr. Ostovich (social psych, human sexuality, etc).
Old 05-02-2012 at 12:06 PM   #11
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Psych 2AP3 and 2B03 aren't too difficult and if you're good at it you can definitely get 12s. However, Psych 2AP3 is much more difficult than 2B03. There are a lot of numbers/stats and areas of the brain, and after like your 7th mental disorder they all start to blend together in your head. It's also annoying because the textbook readings are horrendous. For the first midterm there was like 150 pages of textbook readings and questions are taken from the most random places and ask about the most specific details like mental disorder in 8th century China, which was discussed in 1 paragraph on one page of the 150 pages we had to read (in addition to actually knowing all the lecture content).

Psych 2b03 is much easier IMO because the textbook readings are easier, the questions are fairer, and there's fewer numbers and fewer brain areas to learn.