MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is economics 4th year courses necessary to minor in economics? lululand Academics 3 09-06-2010 11:36 PM
Seeking advice for second year economics jordko Academics 4 08-19-2010 04:17 PM
Economics troth First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 05-29-2008 04:33 PM

Economics Advice

Old 03-22-2010 at 11:22 PM   #1
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Economics Advice
I decided to get a head start on my minor in economics. I intend on taking Econ 2H03,2HH3,2G03,2GG3. I have had O'shaughnessy and Holmes and i enjoy there teaching styles. Hows Aswani as a prof and how difficult are these courses? I enjoy first year econ and love doing problems involving certain kinds of Calculus(any type of differentiation, dont mind doing integrals, statistical analysis etc)
Old 03-22-2010 at 11:30 PM   #2
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

All of those courses are pretty easy. 2G03/2X03 may give you some difficulties but if you study hard it shouldn't pose much of a problem. I've never had O'shaughnessy or Holmes, but heard that Holmes always posts her notes on ELM meaning that you don't have to come to class.

It's been four years since I had Aswani teaching me... all I can remember is that he seemed very straight to the point and always used the chalkboards.
Old 03-22-2010 at 11:36 PM   #3
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

IMO, Holmes's notes > Aswani's notes.

If you're taking 2G03/2X03 in the summer, apparently Aswani omitted some stuff that Holmes covered last year. Not saying that it's guaranteed that he will this time though.

Can't really comment on the difficulty. I took it in the summer and didn't find it too hard. A couple of my friends have been complaining about it though and they have him during the regular fall/winter session.

You'll have to get used to his accent, btw.
Old 03-23-2010 at 12:16 AM   #4
forever0zero

Liked: 39 Times

Fred Aswani is awesome, the accent takes a bit of time to get used to but he's a good prof. i find his notes much better than Holmes, but that's probably because i prefer reading hand written notes more than powerpoint slides. 2G/2X03 is pretty easy, the math is really basic and the concepts are easy to understand.

kanthamd likes this.
Old 03-23-2010 at 12:38 AM   #5
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Thanks everyone
Old 03-23-2010 at 10:13 AM   #6
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Well, apparently I'm the only idiot who finds 2x03 with Aswani hard.
So hard that I dropped it and decided to take it in summer school.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-23-2010 at 10:31 AM   #7
kanthamd

Liked: 8 Times

I've taken all of those classes.... 2G03 is pretty easy if you put the work in. I'm retaking it now and appreciating it more compared to some 3rd year economics classes (cough3M03cough). Aswani is a pretty good prof, he's hard to understand sometimes but he teaches the material pretty well and his online notes are more organized than other classes I've had.

I know people who have taken 2GG3 as an elective and pulled off a 12 with a bit of work; I fared pretty well too. Bruce is a pretty sweet prof if you get him. It's the same textbook as 2G03 too so the material isn't very different.

2H03 and 2HH3 are a little different... I thought 2H03 was SO hard but it was also a lot of theory(not my forte) plus that exam was such a piece of crap, Khan's 2J03 exam that year was definitely not as hard.

2HH3 is a lot of calculus so you shouldn't have a problem there... I think I had Letendre. He was a good prof - really organized.

Last edited by kanthamd : 03-23-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-23-2010 at 11:12 AM   #8
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanthamd2 View Post
2G03 is pretty easy if you put the work in. I'm retaking it now
wut

*checks profile*
"econ major"
plz go
Old 03-23-2010 at 11:14 AM   #9
kanthamd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
wut

*checks profile*
"econ major"
plz go
yeah i'm upgrading my mark?
Old 03-23-2010 at 11:20 AM   #10
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
yeah i'm upgrading my mark?
that's not a question. just sayin'

Quote:
a lot of theory(not my forte)

are you sure you're in econ?
Old 03-23-2010 at 11:22 AM   #11
kanthamd

I'm pretty sure I was just trying to answer a question so run along, you're not needed here
Old 03-23-2010 at 12:00 PM   #12
chinadian

Liked: 6 Times

LOL I agree with Lawley how is it that everyone here finds it easy... I really hated how Aswani wrote with a chalk... I have to retake this class in the summer...hopefully its better the 2nd time around...
Old 03-23-2010 at 01:44 PM   #13
Sync

Liked: 2 Times

I like Aswani (ECON 2G03 or 2X03) because he outlines everything you need to know for the tests and the exam. At first, you'll find it difficult to understand what he is saying because of his accent, but you will adjust (from experience). He's funny too, but sometimes will belittle students (in a jokingly way but some may find it offensive).

I actually got 80% from one of Aswani's tests without studying. I just attended every class and attentively listened and understood what he went over. My advise is to show up for every class and write down almost everything he writes on the board and what he says. Definitely go over the examples he gives you and the tutorial questions because the problem solving questions on the tests are similar to those questions. I barely looked at the book for this class.

I took ECON 2H03 with Khan. The course is easy because Khan provides a courseware that has previous tests and quizzes that are similar to the ones you will write. Khan seems disorganize, but he really is organize. He just jumps around a lot, but he knows what he is talking about. You should read the notes before you go to the lectures to avoid getting lost during class and actually understand what is going on. At the last week of class, it's almost guaranteed that he'll have a pizza party. For this course with Khan, I didn't refer to the book at all and got an A+ as a final mark.

From both courses, you primarily use basic math. If I recall correctly, you don't need to do any Calculus stuff.