MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is economics 4th year courses necessary to minor in economics? lululand Academics 3 09-06-2010 11:36 PM
BA in Economics vs BCom healthsci1 Volunteering Opportunities 10 06-21-2010 04:27 AM
minoring in economics loats14 Academics 14 03-29-2010 10:37 PM

Economics

Old 05-25-2008 at 09:15 PM   #1
troth

Liked: 0 Times

Economics
So i was wondering if it is posible to transfer to commerce after first year from economics.?

Do you have classes in the Degrote school of business?

Any if you take economics or Science, will you share certain classes with them? like math for example.
Old 05-25-2008 at 10:00 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

You can transfer into Business, yes. But you need to have the neccessary average and complete all the neccessary courses.

No, you will not have Math with students from the sciences as they have their own maths.

And eventually, students do have classes in the Degroote School of Business, but I don't know the frequency or if you even start having them in first year.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-25-2008 at 10:01 PM   #3
troth

lol yea maybe i was being kind of to broad, but like do commerce and economics students share courses?
Old 05-25-2008 at 10:04 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Uhhh. I'm honestly not sure because I'm in neither. I know they share economics courses for sure!

I think econ actually has to take a few math classes, while commerce only needs one.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-26-2008 at 12:25 AM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

I wouldn't be surprised if they share courses, the answer is most likely yes.
Old 05-29-2008 at 03:18 PM   #6
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

Okay, so let me help haha. The first year Commerce and first year social science required courses are pretty much the same with one giant exception. Social science students cannot get into the Commerce 1B03 (apologies if i'm wrong with course codes) class as that is open only to commerce students. In terms of the math, Danielle is mistaken, and Math 1m03 is the course that social science students and commerce students take. Math 1a03 (Science math) is accepted in place of 1m03, and if you plan on taking more math classes in the future, take 1a03.

Getting into commerce is no easy feat, as they generally try to slim down the faculty between first year and second year, and it's rumoured that they prefer students from other schools over internal transfers. However, I have a friend who did manage the transfer, and he had a 10.4 average, with 11s and 12s in his econ classes, and his math class. After he got into commerce II, he was required to take the first year commerce course again, which sucks because its a huge courseload with the report, and especially so when you have to do that, and the marketing projects at the same time.

By no means is this meant to dissuade you, rather I just want to be up front about the level of work you will need to put into getting into commerce from social science. Second year commerce is legendary for being one of, if not THE hardest courseloads amongst all programs. Ask engineering management students who have to do a lot of the courses as well for their degree.

So, in conclusion, work your ass off, get good grades, get into commerce, and keep working your ass off and you'll be fine.
Old 05-29-2008 at 03:22 PM   #7
troth

well i talked to a guy at Mac, i think the commerce guy. He said that I would need a 70% average to transfer into Commerce next year. He told me they had 30 spots opened and only about 12 transffered in, but usually its more tighter and only the ones with best marks go through.

My instructions were to go into social sciences and take a specific array of courses to try to mimic first year commerce to its fullest. Then i can transfer without a problem. He said i wouldnt be loosing out on anything and wont miss anything?
Old 05-29-2008 at 04:03 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

who in commerce did you talk to troth?

the undergrad director?
a program advisor?
an upper year student?
a random prof?

commerce guy doesn't help us or you in terms of accuracy or validity.

Old 05-29-2008 at 04:08 PM   #9
troth

the undergrad director?
a program advisor?

one of those two.

the person she transferred me said im either gonna talk to a lady or guy. I think his name was like brad,ben, something like that.
Old 05-29-2008 at 04:13 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

program/faculty advisor most likely.

the undergrad program director is dr. nick bontis.

Old 05-29-2008 at 04:15 PM   #11
troth

well what i said, is it accurate?

I was told that i need to take 2 maths, 2 ecom, anthro and some others.

He said that when i pick my courses to talk to someone or to come to mac to do it.

With this info do you guys think its easy to maintain a 70% average? And what is the workload for econ students?
Old 05-29-2008 at 04:33 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

If you someone specifically from the faculty of Commerce, from what I know it is. I'm not in Commerce though.

Yes, there is a Easy Summer Orientation Program (July 2-4, 7-10) where you can come to Mac, hear from the advisors what courses you need, and go into a lab and start picking your courses. That is the EASIEST way. Previous to 2007 all students had to figure out SOLAR themselves. Previous to 2005 students had to book appointments with faculty advisors if they wanted any sort of help with picking courses.

My average in first year wasn't a B- (7 on our 12 point scale, also equivalent to 70-72%). It was lower. It can be done (ie its not impossible), but a lot of students struggle with academics in their first year and their averages aren't as high as they want.