MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Elective sam19090 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-29-2010 08:16 PM
elective!! ishk33 Academics 3 08-14-2009 04:15 PM
Which elective? suhaybh First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-03-2008 12:28 PM
Elective Help? Ruggedman Academics 2 07-03-2008 04:07 PM
Elective HELP! deone Academics 5 06-26-2008 09:19 AM

Elective Help!

Old 08-08-2011 at 10:53 AM   #1
viktoreeatee

Liked: 0 Times

Elective Help!
Hey everyone!

I'm going to be a 2nd year nursing student and after checking my timetable, I have realized I have a conflict with the elective I have chosen. I am extremely worried that I won't be able to find another elective that fits into my schedule as it was difficult to get into any elective at all when course registration opened up. In the worst possible case scenario, where I am unable to find any elective that fits into my schedule, what options do I have? Please help!!
Old 08-08-2011 at 10:55 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktoreeatee View Post
Hey everyone!

I'm going to be a 2nd year nursing student and after checking my timetable, I have realized I have a conflict with the elective I have chosen. I am extremely worried that I won't be able to find another elective that fits into my schedule as it was difficult to get into any elective at all when course registration opened up. In the worst possible case scenario, where I am unable to find any elective that fits into my schedule, what options do I have? Please help!!
You can keep it, but McMaster isn't responsible for any exam conflicts you might have involving that elective. You can also drop it and take a course during the summer.

viktoreeatee says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-08-2011 at 11:10 AM   #3
viktoreeatee

Will the lack of an elective during the fall/winter term have an effect on OSAP funding?
Old 08-08-2011 at 11:12 AM   #4
Dopematic

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Will the lack of an elective during the fall/winter term have an effect on OSAP funding?
Yeah I'd assume it would, since you'd no longer be taking a full course load.
Old 08-08-2011 at 11:13 AM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

There are A LOT of courses though, I'm sure you'll find one if you look hard enough.
Old 08-08-2011 at 11:17 AM   #6
viktoreeatee

Yeah thanks. I'm worried about the effect on my OSAP funding, 'cause it's kinda crucial that I have it. I've been tirelessly going through the master timetable to find courses that fit into my schedule, and I hope that I'm able to get into one of them. If I still can't manage to get into any compatible elective, is the summer elective my only option?
Old 08-08-2011 at 11:19 AM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Yeah thanks. I'm worried about the effect on my OSAP funding, 'cause it's kinda crucial that I have it. I've been tirelessly going through the master timetable to find courses that fit into my schedule, and I hope that I'm able to get into one of them. If I still can't manage to get into any compatible elective, is the summer elective my only option?
Don't forget that you might also be able to change around your sections to accommodate other courses. You could also overload next year if you have the GPA (I think it's 7.0).

viktoreeatee says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-08-2011 at 11:27 AM   #8
Manley

Liked: 14 Times

It will affect your OSAP entitlement but only slightly (approximately $600--the cost of the course). So do not worry too much about missing out on OSAP. You will still be 90% registered if you are unable to find another elective (which is unlikely, you will find one).

Also, I am only registered 90% and am still getting near the maximum from OSAP.
You'll be fine.

viktoreeatee says thanks to Manley for this post.
Old 08-08-2011 at 11:45 AM   #9
patriciaxo1

Liked: 1 Time

just keep trying they open up eventually

viktoreeatee likes this.
Old 08-11-2011 at 12:53 AM   #10
viktoreeatee

Thanks everyone for your help, I got into a course that fits into my schedule, after hours toiling on SOLAR !
Old 08-11-2011 at 02:07 AM   #11
Ish001

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopematic View Post
Yeah I'd assume it would, since you'd no longer be taking a full course load.
A full course load according to OSAP I think is 60% of your required courses. If you drop one course you'd still be taking a "full course load" won't you?

I do know that after a certain number of dropped courses, OSAP requests you to repay the cost of the course but I think that's for 3 courses. Not entirely sure, can anyone clarify?