MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinion on Electives and Switching Electives Lily88 Academics 8 07-02-2012 12:09 PM
Electives!!! shadfan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 06-30-2011 01:32 PM
Electives?? brit92 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-27-2011 06:25 AM
Electives Mortal_Eyes Academics 2 06-13-2011 02:52 PM
Electives Prabh Academics 2 06-18-2010 12:20 AM

Electives help!!

Old 05-31-2013 at 05:47 PM   #1
sbarbs

Liked: 1 Time

Electives help!!
Ill be at mac this fall for life sci. So far my time table is chem 1a03, bio 1m03, math 1ls3, psych 1x03 term 1 then chem 1aa3, bio 1a03, physics 1l03 and psych 1xx3 term 2.

Ive been looking for electives and was thinking about taking spanish 1z06, earth sci 1g03, kin 1a03, soc psy 1z03 or origin 1l03....opnions??!?! i need 2 for my first year

I hate english aka writing essays and stuff, I can do it just isnt my preference, i also took kin in highschool, loved it but it is alot of memorization correct??

Any suggestions on any electives??
Old 05-31-2013 at 06:41 PM   #2
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 244 Times

!Yo hablo espanol! El profesor es encantador. No recuerdo su nombre, pero creo es italiano. Muy simpatico.
Old 05-31-2013 at 07:34 PM   #3
nadia41

Liked: 0 Times

I took Linguistics and geo 1ha3 last year. I found linguistics to be ridiculously easy. I barely paid attention in class, just watched the podcasts right before the midterm and exam. DON'T DO THAT. If I had only put in minimal effort every week, I wouldn't have even had to study for the exam. I had Dr. Anderson (she was amazing, loved her) and we had weekly hw that was just marked on completion, and 7/8ish quizzes in tutorial throughout the term. I know some people that had trouble with the course tho, so depending on what you like this may or not be for you. I took this as my 'bird' course (didn't really like the subject matter..) and it was exactly what I expected

1HA3 I took because I was actually interested in the content (was a bonus that people consider it to be easy.) I feel like the course has so much potential to be interesting, but it's ruined by the boring tutorials. The final project was a crazy amount of work but I actually loved it. (They assign you a neighbourhood and you have to write about ~12 sites) Midterm was a breeze if you attended the lectures. Exam was annoying (lots of picky questions) but still doable. Attending lecture is a must, notes from a friend aren't enough because the prof (I had Mercier) asked random questions like 'what was the picture of Argentina about' that you would only know if you were actually in class when he described it.

There are definitely courses that I would have been more interested in but I think taking less intensive electives was the right choice because they gave me a bit of a break from all those crazy science courses.

Good luck!

sbarbs says thanks to nadia41 for this post.
Old 05-31-2013 at 09:19 PM   #4
sbarbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia41 View Post
I took Linguistics and geo 1ha3 last year. I found linguistics to be ridiculously easy. I barely paid attention in class, just watched the podcasts right before the midterm and exam. DON'T DO THAT. If I had only put in minimal effort every week, I wouldn't have even had to study for the exam. I had Dr. Anderson (she was amazing, loved her) and we had weekly hw that was just marked on completion, and 7/8ish quizzes in tutorial throughout the term. I know some people that had trouble with the course tho, so depending on what you like this may or not be for you. I took this as my 'bird' course (didn't really like the subject matter..) and it was exactly what I expected

1HA3 I took because I was actually interested in the content (was a bonus that people consider it to be easy.) I feel like the course has so much potential to be interesting, but it's ruined by the boring tutorials. The final project was a crazy amount of work but I actually loved it. (They assign you a neighbourhood and you have to write about ~12 sites) Midterm was a breeze if you attended the lectures. Exam was annoying (lots of picky questions) but still doable. Attending lecture is a must, notes from a friend aren't enough because the prof (I had Mercier) asked random questions like 'what was the picture of Argentina about' that you would only know if you were actually in class when he described it.

There are definitely courses that I would have been more interested in but I think taking less intensive electives was the right choice because they gave me a bit of a break from all those crazy science courses.

Good luck!
what other electives would u recommend? Im looking for easy courses definitly, i took american history in grade 11 and absolutely loved it, What do you know about the origins 1l03 course it looks quite intresting ? ahah

ps thank you for that above !
Old 05-31-2013 at 09:21 PM   #5
nadia41

Liked: 0 Times

Don't know anyone who has taken it. Check out the course reviews or hit up google!
Old 05-31-2013 at 09:30 PM   #6
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times

I took Kin 1y03 and 1yy3 as my electives in first year. Even though you have to memorize quite a bit, the content was interesting and I found these courses to be my favorite ones that I took first year.
Old 05-31-2013 at 09:32 PM   #7
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 11 Times

if you like greek mythology theres a first year course 1B03 that i found to be really easy...but theres three books (illiad, odyssey and aeneid) you have to read for it. If you are really interested in sciences i took a health science course called Psychobiology which has NO textbook, NO EXAM and NO midterms. your mark was determined by two GROUP essays and weekly journals which were super easy. If you decide to take a language like spanish or french, remember that the course code ends with a "6" meaning it is a FULL YEAR course and counts for both your electives

sbarbs says thanks to LauraV for this post.
Old 05-31-2013 at 09:58 PM   #8
sbarbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraV View Post
if you like greek mythology theres a first year course 1B03 that i found to be really easy...but theres three books (illiad, odyssey and aeneid) you have to read for it. If you are really interested in sciences i took a health science course called Psychobiology which has NO textbook, NO EXAM and NO midterms. your mark was determined by two GROUP essays and weekly journals which were super easy. If you decide to take a language like spanish or french, remember that the course code ends with a "6" meaning it is a FULL YEAR course and counts for both your electives
apparently for the psychobiology course its not open to students registered in psych 1xx3? :( so far ive scheduled psych 1xx3 for term 2 ....does it mean that i can take it in term one or just in general cant take it?
Old 05-31-2013 at 10:18 PM   #9
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

you can still take it!! its only for health science students that you are not allowed to take psych 1xx3. if you look at psych 1xx3 it doesnt list health sci 1g03 as an antirequisite. I took psych 1xx3 as well in first year and i checked with an academic advisor to make sure i was allowed.
Old 05-31-2013 at 10:44 PM   #10
sbarbs

Even tho on the course listing where it says pyschobiology it says not open to those with a credit or registered in pysch 1xx3???? and what prof did u have??
Old 05-31-2013 at 11:11 PM   #11
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

yup. its just for health scis cuz they cant take psych 1xx3. i took both and have the credits for both. I had henry szechtman (who honestly wasnt so great) but i hear its a new person this year. TBH i was taking six courses at the time and i put minimal effort into this class (didnt go to class/tutorial, did my journals the morning of, etc) and i still ended up with a 9. my roommate had a 12 i think. Its pretty easy to do well as long as you put the effort in. Usually the group essays you can end up with an 80+% in..you have lots of time to do them and (you are working with some really smart health sci students who know how to work hard and write a good essay usually). The journals...although you write one every week only TWO get marked and you have a say in which ones you would want to be marked. Obviously the best part is that during midterm and exam times you wont have to worry about this course because there is no testing..and you wont have to constantly review the material. some topics we covered were the effects of alcohol and drugs on the brain and how some neurotransmitters like dopamine and serotonin can be related to things such as depression.

Phantom, sbarbs all say thanks to LauraV for this post.
Old 06-01-2013 at 07:03 AM   #12
sbarbs

Should I take it the same time as psych 1xx3??
Or would it be better to seperate them?
Thank you, that's great help !!
Old 06-01-2013 at 08:36 AM   #13
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

i just looked on the master timetable... hlth sci 1G03 is only offered first semester (how it was for me) and then you have to take psych 1xx3 second term (after you have taken psych 1x03).
Old 06-01-2013 at 08:40 AM   #14
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

Heres how i would try to organize your schedule:
Semester 1:
CHEM 1A03 - Dr Brock
BIO 1M03 - Stone
MATH 1LS3 - Lovric
PSYCH 1X03 - Dr. Kim
HLTH SCI 1G03

Semester 2:
CHEM 1AA3 - Brock OR Lock
BIO 1A03 - Kajiura
PSYCH 1XX3 - Dr. Kim
PHYSICS 1L03 - Nejat (hes the only one who teaches it this year as far as i know)
2nd Elective

sbarbs says thanks to LauraV for this post.
Old 06-01-2013 at 09:18 AM   #15
sbarbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraV View Post
Heres how i would try to organize your schedule:
Semester 1:
CHEM 1A03 - Dr Brock
BIO 1M03 - Stone
MATH 1LS3 - Lovric
PSYCH 1X03 - Dr. Kim
HLTH SCI 1G03

Semester 2:
CHEM 1AA3 - Brock OR Lock
BIO 1A03 - Kajiura
PSYCH 1XX3 - Dr. Kim
PHYSICS 1L03 - Nejat (hes the only one who teaches it this year as far as i know)
2nd Elective
thats exactly how it is atm ! just trying to choose a second elective

for math 1ls3 my tutorial and lecture are back to back because thats the only time lovric has them. Would it be bad if i had clementes as my tutorial prof and lovric as my lectures? As if right now on mondays ill be in math from 16:30-18:30 (4:30-6:30pm), but if i change my tutorial to have it clementes, ill have on tuesdays from 16:30-17:20