MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electives Mortal_Eyes Academics 2 06-13-2011 02:52 PM
GPA and Electives ninjamachete First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 12-07-2010 03:29 PM
what electives do i take? mehtad5 General Discussion 13 07-05-2009 02:31 PM
Electives help! jade177 Academics 8 11-30-2008 06:25 PM
electives jade177 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-25-2008 10:02 AM

Opinion on Electives and Switching Electives

Old 06-28-2012 at 07:12 AM   #1
Lily88

Liked: 0 Times

Opinion on Electives and Switching Electives
Hi,

So managed to get through the war zone that was SOLAR only to find that two of the electives that I wanted weren't available for my schedule. I was just wondering if anyone could give me an opinion of what I managed to get and if it's possible to switch.

One elective that I got was Physics 1L03. I had initially planned to take Physics 1B03 because I'm considering taking the MCAT and applying medical school and heard that a physics with labs is preferred. My high school physics mark was also pretty high, so I think I can handle the course material. Being an elective though, if I call up and ask for a switch, will they allow me? Is it worth the switch since Physics 1L03 would be easier for me in the long run and could be a GPA booster?

The second elective is that I got Geography 1HB3. I had planned on taking a humanities course for an elective (I think only philosophy or an anthropology will fit my schedule). I don't entirely mind taking geography because 1HB3 is about human population and one course I need to take in the future touches on this topic. Again though, if I called up, will they switch it for me? For anyone who took it or knows about it, what's Geography 1HB3 like?

Thanks and hope everyone got what they werew looking for in the end!
Old 06-28-2012 at 07:33 AM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily88 View Post
Hi,

So managed to get through the war zone that was SOLAR only to find that two of the electives that I wanted weren't available for my schedule. I was just wondering if anyone could give me an opinion of what I managed to get and if it's possible to switch.

One elective that I got was Physics 1L03. I had initially planned to take Physics 1B03 because I'm considering taking the MCAT and applying medical school and heard that a physics with labs is preferred. My high school physics mark was also pretty high, so I think I can handle the course material. Being an elective though, if I call up and ask for a switch, will they allow me? Is it worth the switch since Physics 1L03 would be easier for me in the long run and could be a GPA booster?

The second elective is that I got Geography 1HB3. I had planned on taking a humanities course for an elective (I think only philosophy or an anthropology will fit my schedule). I don't entirely mind taking geography because 1HB3 is about human population and one course I need to take in the future touches on this topic. Again though, if I called up, will they switch it for me? For anyone who took it or knows about it, what's Geography 1HB3 like?

Thanks and hope everyone got what they werew looking for in the end!
1L03 would be a waste of your time and money. I also don't think it will help prepare you for the MCAT at all. You can try calling and asking, but spots will definitely open up. I was in a similar situation, though it wasn't an elective I needed one or the other. I'd registered in 1B03, changed it at the advice of the academic advisors to 1L03 in second term, then midway through first term realized it was dumb and I should switch back to 1B03. 1B03 was full, but the advisors wouldn't open up a spot...I was told to keep checking because people would fail 1L03 in first term and have to drop 1B03, and if in the first week of January I still didn't have a spot, to go back and see them. As early as November, spots were opening up.

So if they don't give you a spot, you still have a really good chance of getting 1B03.
Old 06-28-2012 at 08:17 AM   #3
Lily88

Thanks for the insight. So I can change courses that late into the year? I guess I thought that by the time it was August I couldn't make any changes.
Old 06-28-2012 at 08:40 AM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily88 View Post
Thanks for the insight. So I can change courses that late into the year? I guess I thought that by the time it was August I couldn't make any changes.
The dates are on the registrar's website. You can change term 1 and 3 courses up until two-ish weeks into Sept, and term 2 up until two-ish weeks into Jan.
Old 06-29-2012 at 09:02 PM   #5
WalkerBlue

Liked: 73 Times

I took 1HB3 as an elective, I wish I hadn't. None of your other options look to appealing. Take first year Microeconomics or Macro, almost impossible to screw that up, and a lot more interesting.
Old 06-29-2012 at 09:07 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkerBlue View Post
I took 1HB3 as an elective, I wish I hadn't. None of your other options look to appealing. Take first year Microeconomics or Macro, almost impossible to screw that up, and a lot more interesting.
Interest is subjective. Econ (or any related courses) are probably the last courses I would ever choose to take, regardless of easiness. I find it boring as hell and would hate my life for the duration of the course.

jim1, lgdynasty like this.
Old 06-29-2012 at 10:51 PM   #7
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Interest is subjective. Econ (or any related courses) are probably the last courses I would ever choose to take, regardless of easiness. I find it boring as hell and would hate my life for the duration of the course.
That's true, you should really take what you like...i am not gonna take econ again, I would rather take math as an elective

nerual likes this.
Old 06-29-2012 at 11:00 PM   #8
doppelganger

Liked: 65 Times

I actually liked Geog 1HB3. It has more of a writing focus but they are not the type of essays you would write in Humanities classes (more like simple Science papers). There's not much memorization involved either; mostly it is just understanding the material.
Old 07-02-2012 at 12:09 PM   #9
Lily88

Thanks for the input everyone! I actually just managed to switch out of Geog 1HB3 for Philos 1C03. I'm still not sure if I have done the smartest thing but I think I'm happy with the decision. It's just that I wanted a course that could make me a little more well rounded; right now I'm already taking Math 1LS3 and science courses.