MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinion on Electives and Switching Electives Lily88 Academics 8 07-02-2012 12:09 PM
Electives!!! shadfan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 06-30-2011 01:32 PM
Electives?? brit92 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-27-2011 06:25 AM
Electives Mortal_Eyes Academics 2 06-13-2011 02:52 PM
Electives Prabh Academics 2 06-18-2010 12:20 AM

Electives help!!

Old 06-01-2013 at 10:01 AM   #16
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 11 Times

ive heard good things about clements, apparently she's young and super nice and helpful. It might be easier to have your math class and tutorial together but if you wanna break it up a bit or it works better for your schedule then go for it!
Old 06-01-2013 at 11:17 PM   #17
sbarbs

Liked: 1 Time

How would u describe lovric??
Old 06-01-2013 at 11:23 PM   #18
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarbs View Post
How would u describe lovric??
Awesome.

/12char
Old 06-01-2013 at 11:31 PM   #19
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

i never had him ( i had the worst prof EVER..thank god hes not teaching it this coming year) but i did drop in on some of lovric's classes and he was very good at explaining and working through problems.
Old 06-02-2013 at 06:53 AM   #20
mastercool

Liked: 22 Times

i would personally avoid kajiura for bio 1a03 if possible. Her questions are more difficult to answer than the other profs.

Zhu basically sucks. Yeah, you will never go to class, but her notes are good and the questions she asks on tests are very straight forward.

It seems that Zhu is teaching Bio 1A03 term 1 so I would definitely try to enlist in Bio 1A03 first term.
Old 06-02-2013 at 08:16 AM   #21
sbarbs

I was told to take bio 1mo3 first term and bio 1a03 second....because bio 1m03 is with lock or brock. :(
Old 06-02-2013 at 11:52 AM   #22
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

do you mean chem? lol. brock/lock are for chemistry. I think its more important that you get STONE/DUDLEY for BIO 1M03 --first semester because evans/quinn were AWFUL.75 percent of the course failed the first midterm and SO MANY people complained. as for 1A03 ZHU/KAJIURA used to teach it together (half and half) but now they do it separately. ZHU just reads off slides and she actually sucks and provides no reason to come to class when you could just read the lecture notes online. Kajiura is more interactive. and ---hint hint if you get any of the past tests from people...kajiura is a repeater. her first midterm last year...half of the questions were from one of her midterms the year before...word for word.
Old 06-02-2013 at 11:59 AM   #23
sbarbs

Sorry I mean Dudley /stone! In that case the only option is to take bio 1a03 with kajuira...speaking of Brock and lock, which one is a better prof??

Seeing that much of the preference is with Brock lock Dudley/ stone, what's the likely hood ill get it when solar opens?? Kinda intimatate from posts on solar
Old 06-02-2013 at 12:09 PM   #24
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Deutsch 1Z06 ist ziemlich leicht. Sie sollten dies Kurs nehmen, ob Sie eine Note über zehn wollen.

oldviking likes this.
Old 06-02-2013 at 12:15 PM   #25
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

well for chem 1a03 brock teaches 3 of the 4 cores so your chances are pretty good. and chem 1aa3 you'd be more likely to get lock...i never actually had brock as a prof but he did the online podcasts and i dropped in on alot of his classes (you can always do that if you dont get him). He was a very good teacher and very popular...he liked to blow things up during class. The nice thing about him was because hes so young and still super passionate about chemistry that it makes it exciting for you. I had goward for 1a03..she was okay but brock or landry were better in my opinion. Second semester 1aa3 i had Dr. Lock. she was VERY VERY GOOD, excellent at explaining the material, super approachable and helpful. i would def recommend her as a prof. i actually made a sample schedule for my friend and cousin who are going into first year life sci if you want to see it. all the labs and tutorials i just put random ones in --they can be changed around and i dont remember but i dont THINK you can choose your labs/tutorials right away. When SOLAR reopens you will be able to tamper with your schedule and make it better. but here is the sample one without the electives you would take. and my friend is taking math 1a03 instead of 1ls3 so you may switch that http://www.timetablegenerato r.com/#mfpq5r8
Old 06-02-2013 at 12:15 PM   #26
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

and dudley/stone you are guaranteed if you take bio 1m03 first semester because they are the only ones teaching it.
Old 06-02-2013 at 12:50 PM   #27
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Zhu isn't much of a lecturer but her notes are so much better than Kajiura's. Kajiura's notes will have one line about a topic and that line will correspond to like 2 pages of the textbook. I also found that she was a little too nice: she likes and encourages questions, but a lot of the time that just ended up with half the lecture spent answering questions that had nothing to do with the material because people were trying to show how "proactive" and "interested" and "smart" they were. I didn't go to Zhu's lectures much because they were bad, but I also skipped some of Kajiura's lectures because I didn't want to spend half an hour listening to keeners suck up. Difference was that Zhu at least provided good notes for me to study off of. This is personal opinion of course, and it didn't bother a lot of people.

And there's a chance you won't get bio 1M03 first term, of course. Even if you don't, just study hard and it's not the end of the world. Quinn's questions aren't as bad and Evans' questions on the final were much better than on the midterm. I know people, including myself, that managed a decent grade with Evans/Quinn so you just have to put some real work into it.

I would just like to point out that going to other cores is fine as long as it's not full. If the room is packed, or is usually packed, and you go, you're taking someone's seat who actually is in that core. Yes, in first year no one will actually know you don't belong in there. But it's rude and you would hate it if you got Lovric or some great prof you loved, and found that you have to sit on the stairs or something because other people hate their prof and crash your class.

starfish likes this.
Old 06-02-2013 at 04:12 PM   #28
sbarbs

so far this is what i have as my sched excluding my elective second sem...
http://www.timetablegenerato r.com/#kowf73r

my only cross road is whether i should switch the biology 1m03 to second sem inorder to avoid kajiura with bio 1a03 second sem as i would put it in first sem....but then Ill have the encounter with quinn/evans...which apparently those who had bio 1m03 second semester, 75% of the people failed it lol.....

Is it worth switching the bio or is kajuiras class doable.........
Old 06-02-2013 at 04:34 PM   #29
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarbs View Post
so far this is what i have as my sched excluding my elective second sem...
http://www.timetablegenerato r.com/#kowf73r

my only cross road is whether i should switch the biology 1m03 to second sem inorder to avoid kajiura with bio 1a03 second sem as i would put it in first sem....but then Ill have the encounter with quinn/evans...which apparently those who had bio 1m03 second semester, 75% of the people failed it lol.....

Is it worth switching the bio or is kajuiras class doable.........
Kajuira's tests are generally easy and straightforward.
Old 06-02-2013 at 04:44 PM   #30
sbarbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampis View Post
Kajuira's tests are generally easy and straightforward.

why are countless people saying shes terrible ?!?!?!?!?!?!?