MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinion on Electives and Switching Electives Lily88 Academics 8 07-02-2012 12:09 PM
Electives!!! shadfan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 06-30-2011 01:32 PM
Electives?? brit92 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-27-2011 06:25 AM
Electives Mortal_Eyes Academics 2 06-13-2011 02:52 PM
Electives Prabh Academics 2 06-18-2010 12:20 AM

Electives help!!

Old 06-02-2013 at 05:14 PM   #31
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarbs View Post
why are countless people saying shes terrible ?!?!?!?!?!?!?
It is because during lecture, she goes off topic and tells the class how they should be studying and such, but her tests are fair IMO.
Old 06-02-2013 at 06:41 PM   #32
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
why are countless people saying shes terrible ?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Because people have different opinions?

Seriously, for most profs, you'll find people who like them and people who don't. Being a "good" or "bad" prof isn't black and white. There's a spectrum, and some profs will be overwhelmingly liked or disliked, but you need to form your own opinions. Besides, this is first year bio. Thousands of people take it each year and survive. The prof you get isn't the end of the world, nor is it an excuse for poor performance. You posted that 75% of the class failed. That is simply not true.

Personally, I couldn't stand Kajiura, for reasons that have already been mentioned plus a few additional reasons. But, you should see for yourself.

sbarbs says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 06-02-2013 at 06:42 PM   #33
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

Ausgezeichnet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Deutsch 1Z06 ist ziemlich leicht. Sie sollten dies Kurs nehmen, ob Sie eine Note über zehn wollen.
Alles ist gut mit Nikolai Penner. Arbeite hart, und eine gute Marke ist praktisch garantiert.
Old 06-02-2013 at 07:21 PM   #34
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Because people have different opinions?

Seriously, for most profs, you'll find people who like them and people who don't. Being a "good" or "bad" prof isn't black and white. There's a spectrum, and some profs will be overwhelmingly liked or disliked, but you need to form your own opinions. Besides, this is first year bio. Thousands of people take it each year and survive. The prof you get isn't the end of the world, nor is it an excuse for poor performance. You posted that 75% of the class failed. That is simply not true.

Personally, I couldn't stand Kajiura, for reasons that have already been mentioned plus a few additional reasons. But, you should see for yourself.
This is an exaggeration. However, it is true that the first midterm was completely unreasonable. A lot of people did fail (and a lot of people that passed were in the 50s and 60s), and they ended up making it out of 37 instead of the original 45. Still, I know a decent number of people who ended up with an 8+ so it's not impossible.
Old 06-02-2013 at 08:01 PM   #35
mastercool

Liked: 22 Times

honestly, both the bio courses are hard. Yeah, Kajiura repeats maybe 5 or 6 of her questions, but most of them are totally new. I know lots of people who failed Bio 1A03 mid-terms as well.

I know for a fact that Zhu doesn't make up any of her questions. *Hint*
Old 06-02-2013 at 08:42 PM   #36
sbarbs

Liked: 1 Time

if I switch my bio courses to avoid kajiura I'm
Going to end up with Quinns/Evans for bio 1m03......based on these posts I think better off with sticking with kajiura?

So far kajiura has had mixed opnions....
Old 06-02-2013 at 08:48 PM   #37
Quiver

Quote:
if I switch my bio courses to avoid kajiura I'm
Going to end up with Quinns/Evans for bio 1m03......based on these posts I think better off with sticking with kajiura?

So far kajiura has had mixed opnions....
Don't worry about it too much. You might not even get a choice if SOLAR decides to be mean. If you had to choose, then I suppose going with Kajiura and Stone/Dudley would be "easier". But neither course is impossible with either professor as long as you study hard. I had both Kajiura first term last year AND Evans/Quinn second term. I came out fine and got accepted to every second year program I applied to.
Old 06-02-2013 at 10:56 PM   #38
unspoken

Liked: 0 Times

TAKE 1M03 IN THE FIRST TERM WITH STONE. AND 1A03 IN 2ND. Kaijura is straightforward .. honestly just read your textbook. I HAD 1MO3 in the 2nd term with Evans and Quinn... not a fun time , we complained the whole term:( DONT DO IT 2ND TERM.
Old 06-02-2013 at 11:04 PM   #39
LifeSciences

Quote:
Originally Posted by unspoken View Post
TAKE 1M03 IN THE FIRST TERM WITH STONE. AND 1A03 IN 2ND. Kaijura is straightforward .. honestly just read your textbook. I HAD 1MO3 in the 2nd term with Evans and Quinn... not a fun time , we complained the whole term:( DONT DO IT 2ND TERM.
I back this up...
Taking m03 second term is like walking into hell with your own feet...
Old 06-02-2013 at 11:09 PM   #40
LifeSciences

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSciences View Post
I back this up...
Taking m03 second term is like walking into hell with your own feet...
(Since this is anonymous, let me just say that keep in mind that this is coming from a person who got 12s in both bio classes)

sbarbs says thanks to LifeSciences for this post.
Old 06-03-2013 at 02:48 AM   #41
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 11 Times

originally 75% of the class failed..THEN people complained and they cut off some marks so the average was above 50% which was better but not good. People who took 1M03 first semester with dudley/stone definitely did better then the people who took it second semester though...i saw past midterms and they were ridiculously easy and then i would go to do my bio midterm with evans and i was astonished how much more difficult he made it. personally i would rather go to kajiuras lectures and be engaged and have to take notes and learn the material then have zhu again who is a HORRIBLE lecturer and you basically have no reason to go to class because shes posts her notes online..you are paying alot of money to take the course so you might as well get SOMETHING out of it rather then pay hundreds of dollars for notes...doesnt make sense.

sbarbs says thanks to LauraV for this post.
Old 06-03-2013 at 03:57 PM   #42
sbarbs

I think I'm just going so stick with kajiura second term and 1mo3 first. As one of the posts said maybe ill like her maybe I won't! my sched works pretty well right now so I'm just going to pry solar isn't mean hahaha. Thank you all for ur feedback, honestly helped me quite the bit
Old 06-03-2013 at 04:02 PM   #43
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

i had bio 1m03 with quinn and evans. first midterm wasnt actually hard. i only got 60ish on it. but looking back at it, it was completely easy and fair. i think people did bad on it because this was the first real class they took in uni which required you to memorize every slide and not half ass anything. every question of his was word for word from the slide. the 2nd midterm everyone did better and the exam was a joke. i know loads of people who 12d it.
Old 06-03-2013 at 04:05 PM   #44
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraV View Post
originally 75% of the class failed..THEN people complained and they cut off some marks so the average was above 50% which was better but not good. People who took 1M03 first semester with dudley/stone definitely did better then the people who took it second semester though...i saw past midterms and they were ridiculously easy and then i would go to do my bio midterm with evans and i was astonished how much more difficult he made it. personally i would rather go to kajiuras lectures and be engaged and have to take notes and learn the material then have zhu again who is a HORRIBLE lecturer and you basically have no reason to go to class because shes posts her notes online..you are paying alot of money to take the course so you might as well get SOMETHING out of it rather then pay hundreds of dollars for notes...doesnt make sense.
youre saying 75% of the ppl got below 50% on the first bio1m03 test? youre joking. i seriously doubt that. they only took off 1-2 mc which were unfair but the whole test itself was good. dr evans is probably the best first year bio lecturer anyways. also, dont just go into a test memorizing old questions. actually study off slides.

sbarbs says thanks to Silver for this post.
Old 06-03-2013 at 04:21 PM   #45
Quiver

I'd like to know where you got the 75% of people failed number from. I think I'm in the same year as you. You did it in Winter 2013 as well, right? Did you get that number from Alastair or something? Because the midterm was bad, but I don't think that many people failed it.

Silver: they took off 5 MC and 3 written for the latest term, I believe. It was made /37 in stead of the original /45. I agree about Evans, though. He was a great lecturer, even if the material was pretty dry.

sbarbs says thanks to Quiver for this post.