MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electrical & Biomedical Engineering J.Clouseau First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 69 02-27-2013 01:09 AM
Electrical and Biomedical Engineering! TabbishAziz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 03-30-2012 09:11 AM
Electrical and biomedical eng weizz Academics 5 08-16-2011 08:51 PM
Electrical and Biomedical Engineering w/ Management jp1390 Academics 8 06-05-2010 10:30 PM
Electrical & Biomedical Engineering nytrogyn First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 03-21-2009 10:49 AM

Electrical and biomedical engineering info

Old 11-20-2013 at 06:53 PM   #1
titan

Liked: 0 Times

Electrical and biomedical engineering info
Hey guys,
I am in first year engineering. I am really interested in Electrical and Biomedical engineering.
Can anyone tell me what cut off for it was in 2012 and 2013 just to get a normal idea.
Also is there anyone who went to medicine after doing Elec. and Biomed at mcmaster.
Thanks.
Old 11-20-2013 at 07:58 PM   #2
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Not sure what the cutoff was but it is typically one of the hardest to get into. Last year, according to a prof, it was the highest average. I would aim for a 9 to be safe (and at that you will likely have one of the lowest averages in the class). HOWEVER you really shouldn't have a target. Targets tend to become reality as you slack off once you meet your mark. Also Elec Biomed does not increase the number of seats each year because doing so would require complete cooperation between ECE, Science and Health Science for requisition of seats.

People certainly go into Medicine but almost always do it over 5 years rather than 4 so If you want to go that route doing it in 5 years is highly recommended. But if you want med school you shouldnt be worrying about getting into elec biomed because you should have min 11.0 average. Other students either grad school (Mac and UFT have Grad Biomedical programs, UFT being the more popular one targeted towards clinical).

A lot of biomeds also go direct into industry into a software or other ECE position. Those who have done internships often have guaranteed jobs before going into their final year. Some finad jobs in the biomed field but those positions are very few in Canada

titan says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.

titan likes this.
Old 11-20-2013 at 09:03 PM   #3
titan

Liked: 0 Times

So , extending into 5 years means taking less courses into each term in order to get a better grade? Are you currently doing fifth year? R u planning for medical too.
Old 11-20-2013 at 09:40 PM   #4
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Yes taking it in 5 years means an easier 5 years. In general you will find 2nd year on par with 1st and 3rd year about twice as much work as second or 1st. It also allows you to take more technical electives as you dont get much choice in biomed to to overload restrictions (only allowed to take so many courses per semester).

I personally did a 16 month internship and will be going directly into industry. 4th year is somewhat chill knowing grades are relatively meaningless compared to my resume.