MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electrical and Biomedical Engineering! TabbishAziz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 03-30-2012 09:11 AM
Electrical and biomedical eng weizz Academics 5 08-16-2011 08:51 PM
Biomedical Engineering naval23 Academics 9 08-10-2011 04:12 PM
Electrical and Biomedical Engineering w/ Management jp1390 Academics 8 06-05-2010 10:30 PM
Electrical & Biomedical Engineering nytrogyn First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 03-21-2009 10:49 AM

Electrical & Biomedical Engineering

Old 02-02-2013 at 10:06 PM   #16
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

BIO 1A03 repeats alot of grade 12 bio but not like you remember all the details taking it two years later.
Old 02-03-2013 at 08:35 AM   #17
J.Clouseau

Liked: 1 Time

Would it be better to take grade 12 biology anyway?
Old 02-03-2013 at 09:06 AM   #18
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Clouseau View Post
Would it be better to take grade 12 biology anyway?
If you have a lot of courses this semester, then just focus on the math, physics and chem. If not, then take it now. You can just take it in the summer if you want.

Ponyo likes this.
Old 02-03-2013 at 09:15 AM   #19
J.Clouseau

I actually need some courses to take in 12th grade since I'm fast tracking some courses, so I will take it. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2013 at 10:56 AM   #20
J.Clouseau

Are there dissections and stuff in biomedical? I am not a big fan of it in high school.
Old 02-03-2013 at 11:34 AM   #21
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Oh alright, thanks! How are you enjoying the electrical and biomedical engineering program qwerty91? Should I take biology regardless if I decide to do electrical and biomedical engineering or not? I might just for the heck of it and see how I like it. .
If you had a choice between a programming course and a biology course, I'd strongly recommend picking a programming course over biology. For the next four years, several programming languages will follow you everywhere you go.

If your school doesn't offer such courses, it may be a good idea to take biology. Like you said, you can get a feel of what it would be like. If you don't like it, you'll know.

Good luck.
Old 02-03-2013 at 02:26 PM   #22
J.Clouseau

What if I have room for both? I would have to skip the grade 11 pre-requisite for the programming course at my school considering I have no room. Should I take both biology and computer science (programming)?

EDIT: I've taken grade 11 biology. It was boring... I've heard grade 12 was more interesting though so I might give it a shot. However, I did not do bad in grade 11, it was just that I did not like the material except for internal systems.
Old 02-03-2013 at 02:50 PM   #23
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Expect alot of math, circuits, and programming if you go into biomed
Old 02-03-2013 at 03:13 PM   #24
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

You will not have any dissections in BIO 1A03 but will have in htl sci however since you are in groups so you dont have to do in directly.

But i would def take programming if you have space. Sure you can do well in 1d04 without experience but if you are in elec, you sill want a good programming background
Old 02-03-2013 at 03:15 PM   #25
J.Clouseau

I am considering elec & biomedical. However, I am thinking of doing a general first year anyway. Will I be able to make a good decision on which field I would like to pursue after the general first year of engineering?
Old 02-03-2013 at 03:38 PM   #26
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
I am considering elec & biomedical. However, I am thinking of doing a general first year anyway. Will I be able to make a good decision on which field I would like to pursue after the general first year of engineering?
Everyone going into engineering at mcmaster goes through the general first year. In first year you take courses like math, physics, programming, design, materials, etc. You should be able to make a choice after first year since you have been exposed to some courses and what not. However, you should not base your choice on a course that you did bad in.
For example, i know plenty of people who didn't do good in phys 1e03 and told me that they love electrical engineering.

During February they is usually a faculty showcase for first year engineering students. You get the chance to talk to some profs and upper year students during that day. There's also a faculty meeting for first year engineering students. So if you are interested in elect & biomed, you would go to the ECE faculty meeting and there will be a presentation about the programs they offer (Elect,Comp,Biomed). You will also have the opportunity to talk to some upper year students in that program and ask them questions.

What i am tying to say is, during first year you will get the chance to discover the different engineering streams that are offered after first year. Of course, you should also do some research on your own and decide which program suits you the most.

Ponyo likes this.
Old 02-03-2013 at 07:39 PM   #27
J.Clouseau

Alright, thank you so much!

h_smith1989 likes this.
Old 02-03-2013 at 07:47 PM   #28
J.Clouseau

Is McMaster going to introduce "Mechanical Engineering & Biomedical Engineering" as a separate field? Also, if I take the programming course & physics dealing with waves, electricity, and magnetism first year and I like it, will I like electrical engineering? Thanks!
Old 02-03-2013 at 07:53 PM   #29
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Is McMaster going to introduce "Mechanical Engineering & Biomedical Engineering" as a separate field? Also, if I take the programming course & physics dealing with waves, electricity, and magnetism first year and I like it, will I like electrical engineering? Thanks!
I have never heard of that program, do you mean "Mechanical Engineering and Biomechanics"? If so, i heard few things about it but i am not sure if they will make it into a separate program.
Electrical engineering is more about circuits. They deal with magnetism, but circuit analysis is more important. I really can't comment much further since i am not in ECE.

Ponyo likes this.
Old 02-03-2013 at 07:56 PM   #30
Porsche911

Liked: 7 Times

As many have mentioned. Biomed has a lot of programming/circuits/electrical stuff. I'm not in Biomed or Elec personally so I can't say too much, but you really don't take too many bio courses. You can see what you take in Biomed here:

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...13/pg1214.html

So basically the Bio, Chem and Health Sci courses are what sets Biomed apart from Elec. I'd recommend learning to program (the language you learn is not super important) regardless of what field you go into. If you're a math/physics guy, you'll likely run into it at some point anyway.