MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electrical and Biomedical Engineering! TabbishAziz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 03-30-2012 09:11 AM
Electrical and biomedical eng weizz Academics 5 08-16-2011 08:51 PM
Biomedical Engineering naval23 Academics 9 08-10-2011 04:12 PM
Electrical and Biomedical Engineering w/ Management jp1390 Academics 8 06-05-2010 10:30 PM
Electrical & Biomedical Engineering nytrogyn First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 03-21-2009 10:49 AM

Electrical & Biomedical Engineering

Old 02-03-2013 at 09:03 PM   #31
J.Clouseau

Liked: 1 Time

Do I necessarily need to learn programming from taking it in school or can I just learn myself over the summer or when I have spare time?
Old 02-03-2013 at 09:09 PM   #32
Porsche911

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Clouseau View Post
Do I necessarily need to learn programming from taking it in school or can I just learn myself over the summer or when I have spare time?
No. That's the great thing about programming. It's probably the easiest subject to learn outside of school. You can check out sites like edx, coursera, udacity, the Khan Academy and even w3schools (only web programming) to learn programming. There's also a tutorial for pretty much everything on YouTube. That said, there's definitely some value to taking it in school since you're forced to do it and deal with deadlines, etc.
Old 02-03-2013 at 09:10 PM   #33
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Quote:
The question is not can you but will you. I find people are like "i will do this" and never ever get around to it
Old 02-03-2013 at 09:16 PM   #34
Porsche911

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
The question is not can you but will you. I find people are like "i will do this" and never ever get around to it
This is (unfortunately) incredibly true.
Old 02-03-2013 at 09:25 PM   #35
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

As far as talking to profs not really . I wanted to go to Carleton /uottawa for the electrical and mechanical eng program but settled on Mac for elec and bio .
Big problem about trying to increase enrollment is they are limited by the health sci course we have to take ( that department doesn't want too much students like 40/program )
Old 02-03-2013 at 10:48 PM   #36
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Liked: 51 Times

If I don't want to go to medical school or graduate school, is it still prudent to pursue a degree in Electrical and Biomedical Engineering?
Old 02-03-2013 at 10:58 PM   #37
*spark*

Liked: 55 Times

You don't really need to take a course in programming before coming into engineering. It will help but it's not necessary because they don't expect you to know how to program, so they teach it all to you. I didn't even really know what programming was going into first year but I liked it so much I decided to go to ECE.

Also, no you don't have to go to medical school or graduate school. However, most biomedical firms look for people with a masters degree. It may not always be the case but it usually helps and it doesn't require a lot of extra time (around 2 years, I think).
Old 02-04-2013 at 07:14 AM   #38
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvacadoLover View Post
If I don't want to go to medical school or graduate school, is it still prudent to pursue a degree in Electrical and Biomedical Engineering?
Well, what *do* you want to do? That's what really makes a difference. If you want to do something biomedical engineering-related then of course it's a good option regardless of whether or not you want to do med school.

Besides, it's not like med school is even a major route for people in elec & biomed.

I didn't include grad school there because as spark said, a lot of places look for a Masters and while you can probably find a job without one, you will likely be better off with a Masters. I find that a lot of people who do Masters degrees don't do it because they want to do grad school, they do it just so they can get the jobs they want. Many people see it as a small time commitment for a good payoff in the end. Also, it's still early, you have no idea whether or not you'll change your mind later on.

Even if you're hell-bent on not doing grad school for whatever reason, what do you do want to do after you finish school matters far more than what you do not want to do, when deciding whether or not it's a good idea to do elec & biomed.
Old 02-04-2013 at 07:02 PM   #39
J.Clouseau

What is the difference between a M. Asc and a M. Eng? McMaster only offers the M. Asc for biomedical engineering right?
Old 02-04-2013 at 07:07 PM   #40
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
I am kind of confused, I thought getting a master's degree was considered "grad school?"
Masters degree is considered a graduate program. B.Eng (bachelors degree in engineering) is an undergraduate degree.
Old 02-04-2013 at 07:15 PM   #41
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
What is the difference between a M. Asc and a M. Eng? McMaster only offers the M. Asc for biomedical engineering right?
M.Eng is "masters degree in engineering"...basica lly you take some graduate courses in engineering for a certain time and then you work on a project.

M.A.Sc. is "masters of applied sciences"...you also take few graduate engineering graduate courses and then you do research for a certain amount of time. You also have to work on a thesis in this program.

I am not entirely sure, but yea i think biomedical only has the M.A.Sc program.
Old 02-04-2013 at 07:21 PM   #42
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
McMaster only offers the M. Asc for biomedical engineering right?
For some reason i can't edit my post :| Anyways, yep i was right! Biomedical only offers M.A.Sc.

http://msbe.mcmaster.ca/graduate/requirements.html
Old 02-04-2013 at 07:35 PM   #43
J.Clouseau

For what reasons would one want to choose one over the other?
Old 02-04-2013 at 07:42 PM   #44
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
For what reasons would one want to choose one over the other?
Tough question, it's up to the person and their preference. If i was to do grad school i would choose the M.Eng program simply to avoid having to deal with a thesis. I think the M.Eng would be a great program for me because i get to take some graduate eng courses and then work on a project.
If i wanted to do a Ph.D afterwards i would choose the M.A.Sc. because it's a "research" program and would prepare me for the Ph.D.
Again, it depends on what you like and what you want to do with it later on.
Old 02-04-2013 at 07:45 PM   #45
*spark*

Liked: 55 Times

Actually there is an M.Eng option for Biomedical at McMaster but it's specifically Electrical and Biomedical Engineering

http://graduate.mcmaster.ca/prospect...c-and-comp-eng

I think that an M.Eng is going to help you get a job in a Biomedical firm but an M.A.Sc is for the people that want to continue with research in the field and maybe get a PhD.

I don't know too much about this thought.

jim1 likes this.