MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electrical and Biomedical Engineering! TabbishAziz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 03-30-2012 09:11 AM
Electrical and biomedical eng weizz Academics 5 08-16-2011 08:51 PM
Biomedical Engineering naval23 Academics 9 08-10-2011 04:12 PM
Electrical and Biomedical Engineering w/ Management jp1390 Academics 8 06-05-2010 10:30 PM
Electrical & Biomedical Engineering nytrogyn First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 03-21-2009 10:49 AM

Electrical & Biomedical Engineering

Old 02-23-2013 at 02:20 PM   #61
J.Clouseau

Liked: 1 Time

For course codes, e.g. 1AA3, does the 1 represent year 1? Also, is it weird taking 1st year courses in second year when you're in university or am I letting my ego get the best of me?
Old 02-23-2013 at 02:23 PM   #62
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Clouseau View Post
For course codes, e.g. 1AA3, does the 1 represent year 1? Also, is it weird taking 1st year courses in second year when you're in university or am I letting my ego get the best of me?
Yes, 1 = first year course. AA represents the course itself, and 3 represents the number of units the course is worth.

No, people take first year courses even in third and fourth year. Nobody cares.
Old 02-23-2013 at 02:31 PM   #63
J.Clouseau

Oh alright. Do you think I would take enough math and physics courses in any engineering stream to teach math and physics in high school?
Old 02-23-2013 at 02:38 PM   #64
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Oh alright. Do you think I would take enough math and physics courses in any engineering stream to teach math and physics in high school?
I would assume so (I had a math/physics teacher in high school who used to be an engineer), but you should look it up to make sure.
Old 02-23-2013 at 03:07 PM   #65
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Depends on what engineering stream you go into. Some engineering streams are more math/physics intensive than others. Also, you don't need that intense math/physics to teach in high school.
Old 02-25-2013 at 05:33 PM   #66
J.Clouseau

I was thinking of having engineering as something to fall back on if I found out teaching wasn't my thing. I know it's not ideal to have engineering as an undergrad to get into teacher's college since it is quite difficult to get a GPA high enough to get accepted but I was just wondering. Do you have to be a natural problem solver to be good at engineering? I enjoy my math and physics classes, but I understand the concepts after asking alot of questions and practice. Will I get destroyed in the engineering field if I am that demanding of questions and need to practice my concepts and everything? Thanks!
Old 02-25-2013 at 09:50 PM   #67
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Do you have to be a natural problem solver to be good at engineering? I enjoy my math and physics classes, but I understand the concepts after asking alot of questions and practice. Will I get destroyed in the engineering field if I am that demanding of questions and need to practice my concepts and everything? Thanks!
You don't need to be a natural problem solver to be good in engineering school. If you are, then that's great, but a lot us have to practice a lot to get the hang of it.

Asking questions is nothing to be ashamed of, it's a natural part of the learning process. Even people who get high GPAs ask questions. Everyone needs to practice in engineering school and do their homework to understand the concept.
Engineering requires a lot of thinking and practice. You can't do well if you don't practice your homework on regular basis.

What i am trying to say is, asking questions is normal, in fact you should always ask questions if you don't understand something.
I have friends who got mid 80s in high school and are doing very well in engineering. Are they natural problem solvers? Heck no! They used to study a lot in high school...they carried the good habits to university and got good grades here at mac eng.

Engineering is about thinking and practice. When you graduate from engineering you won't be able to build a skyscraper, you need lots of engineering practice in order to build such a structure. Same thing with university..you won't be able to get a high GPA if you don't practice a lot!
Also, don't listen to people who tell it's impossible to get a high gpa in engineering. If you practice a lot and manage your time well, you should have no problem getting a high gpa.
Old 02-26-2013 at 03:12 PM   #68
J.Clouseau

Thanks a lot jim1! I was curious because I was thinking when you're an engineer, there won't be anyone there to teach you (for the most part) and you wouldn't be able to get help whenever it is needed by an instructor that knows all the answers, correct me if I'm wrong. Also, is there time to relax in engineering? I feel like I'm slacking when I wait until a certain time to do my homework..
Old 02-26-2013 at 11:16 PM   #69
jp1390

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Thanks a lot jim1! I was curious because I was thinking when you're an engineer, there won't be anyone there to teach you (for the most part) and you wouldn't be able to get help whenever it is needed by an instructor that knows all the answers, correct me if I'm wrong. Also, is there time to relax in engineering? I feel like I'm slacking when I wait until a certain time to do my homework..
If you want to relax, you relax. If you want to study, you study. If you want to eat, you eat.

You will be fine. Relax.
Old 02-27-2013 at 01:09 AM   #70
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

All undergrad classes have some sort of office hours that you can use for help