MacInsiders Logo

@$#@* Elm

Old 01-11-2010 at 06:27 PM   #31
Tleilaxu

Liked: 10 Times

So, why don't we try Learnlink? From what i've seen its a great program.
Old 01-11-2010 at 06:43 PM   #32
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Now MUSS isn't loading either.

Seriously, what the f***. We PAY for these applications in our tuition. They should work. I have been trying every day since Friday and I haven't been able to log in to ELM. What am I going to do when my assignment due date comes around on Friday?
This is very, very frustrating.
Old 01-11-2010 at 08:20 PM   #33
maryam17

Liked: 2 Times

Is there something the students can do to get webct back? Some sort of petition or something. Honestly, this is so frustrating and a waste of time. I'm paying for my eduction and if ELM is working today or not should be the least of a student's worries. Geez!!! Everything is on there!!! Blahhhh:frankenstein2 :
Old 01-11-2010 at 08:42 PM   #34
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Holy ****, I was planning to do three quizzes on ELM tonight. I guess I can't do any, because the damn site won't load up at all. That just ****s over my plans for tomorrow, because we're supposed to do the quizzes before doing the Bio Skill Labs (for 2 of them anyway), and I was planning to do them tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2010 at 08:48 PM   #35
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Holy ****, I was planning to do three quizzes on ELM tonight. I guess I can't do any, because the damn site won't load up at all. That just ****s over my plans for tomorrow, because we're supposed to do the quizzes before doing the Bio Skill Labs (for 2 of them anyway), and I was planning to do them tomorrow.
I find that ELM is normal past midnight if you are willing to stay up.
Old 01-11-2010 at 08:56 PM   #36
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

I could, but you know that's not the most ideal thing to do. And usually I don't care to complain, but seriously, sometimes everyone NEEDS to use ELM and it'd be nice if it worked when people need it to.

But yeah, I guess I'll just hope that it works later tonight.
Old 01-11-2010 at 08:57 PM   #37
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
I could, but you know that's not the most ideal thing to do. And usually I don't care to complain, but seriously, sometimes everyone NEEDS to use ELM and it'd be nice if it worked when people need it to.

But yeah, I guess I'll just hope that it works later tonight.
Yeah, I'm usually always awake after midnight though. That's when I do all my ELM stuff.
Old 01-11-2010 at 08:58 PM   #38
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

This is redic, is there actually a petition we can start, the university needs to know that we will not deal with this crap. (I will not ***** about ELM on a forum and wait 1 hour to print lecture notes for classes while some genius is out there thinking an improvment has been made.)
Old 01-11-2010 at 09:04 PM   #39
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Professors should just upload the notes onto Rapidshare lmao. Wait 1 minute for incredible DL speed. None of this ELM crap.

jachill likes this.
Old 01-11-2010 at 09:07 PM   #40
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

What The Fudge
I don't even know why the hell those pps who maintain this site had to do some stupid changes. It was working perfectly fine, but no...they had to make it look fancier. McMaster should also try to stay with one site and fully maintain it and stop running behind cheaper goods.

Even my High school's online teaching site (chatt.hdsb.ca) was 50 times faster then elm. It's not that only my school used chatt but whole district school board was using it. (Burlington, Oakville, Halton Hills and Milton) And yes their were times it went down, but that was for monthly maintenance or to add something new to the site.
Old 01-11-2010 at 09:08 PM   #41
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
Professors should just upload the notes onto Rapidshare lmao. Wait 1 minute for incredible DL speed. None of this ELM crap.
lmao Rapidshare ftw!
Old 01-11-2010 at 09:10 PM   #42
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
Yeah, but they don't want to give free education to other people not enrolled in the class.

They should make it so that you just buy a device and when you walk into your lecture room the lecture file automatically gets downloaded to the device...
Old 01-11-2010 at 09:11 PM   #43
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

To answer the first question pretty much all the Multimedia Professors use Moodle but I experienced it first in a Communications class. Right now I see Multimedia and Communications courses listed, as well as some languages and cultural studies courses. I've used it since I believe first year and I just like it so much better than WebCT (although at least that worked far better than ELM) and ELM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webzn View Post
PS, to the Moodle supporters: Moodle is extremely limited in its functionality and what it is capable of. I have had a class with it, and its nothing more than a poorly laid out bulletin board. There is no grading functionality, no class organization (just pop in a password, and you're in the class), and its not very professional. Learnlink has my same arguments except for the previous collaboration features. Learnlink too is just a forum, nothing more. ELM *should* be the proper way, if it worked, and had a few of the features WebCT had that were removed, and worked...oh and worked.
Moodle is very customizable and has many options, perhaps your Professor was inexperienced with the platform and didn't know how to take advantage of its features. I disagree completely that its limited, or a "poorly laid out bulletin board." The layout and organization of a Moodle site depends on the Professor, I have some Professors that use pretty much none of its features and some that have their Moodle site fully customized and take advantage of a variety of features.

What do you mean by no grading functionality? Professors can input grades, set up quizzes, set it up so assignments can be submitted online and graded etc. What exactly do you mean by no grading functionality?

What makes Moodle unprofessional? Out of curiosity.

Moodle is not just a forum, if it is properly taken advantage of by the course instructor it is an excellent platform. Much much better than Elm and bonus points for being open-source.

To each his or her own I suppose but I'm not sure why you'd think Moodle has limited features when as far as I can tell it has just as many if not more features than ELM. It might not be right for every type of course, which is totally understandable but for my purposes I think its quite excellent and would prefer if all my courses were on Moodle as opposed to having to suffer with ELM with one course.
Old 01-11-2010 at 09:20 PM   #44
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

You know what

Learn Link is a great idea!

We should migrate all our courses there.

But I don't know if it can handle the extra volume.

But can't SRA do anything? Voice our opinion! Tell em ELM sucks. Its wasting time and its a learning disability...
Old 01-11-2010 at 09:29 PM   #45
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

i think theyre adding online chat...which would be cool...but would also be better if theyd had done this during the weekend or at late hours or something