MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faculty Cup 2014 Standings + Faculty Fusion Scores #MacWW2014 admin MacInsiders Announcements 1 09-04-2014 01:38 PM
Emailing the Prof? oxelhs Academics 7 07-11-2011 12:21 PM
What happened to the new GMAIL emailing system??? traveler10 General Discussion 18 07-01-2011 10:30 PM
Emailing Prof. About Grade... Again. AlienSummer Academics 3 01-13-2009 09:56 AM

When Emailing faculty to ask to waive course prereqs...?

Old 07-06-2016 at 11:48 AM   #1
MovingTarget

Liked: 6 Times

When Emailing faculty to ask to waive course prereqs...?
Hey Guys, I'm going into 4th year Bio and I really want to take a few upper year courses that I don't have the prerequisites for. Nor can I take the prereqs as they are only offered in the second term along with the course I want to enrol in.

So my question is that, when I'm emailing the science faculty to ask if they can waive the prerequisites for the couple courses I don't have the prereqs for, would it be in my favour to send one email per course I want to get into...or should I ask say all the courses I want to get into in one big email.

I.e Email 1: Request to Waive prereqes for Bio AAAA
Email 2: Request to Waive prereqs for Bio BBBB

vs.

Email 1: Request to waive prereqs for Bio AAAA and Bio BBBB

Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but I feel I should go with the first option as to not ask for too much at once. Any insight would be great. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2016 at 06:26 PM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

I'm pretty sure it depends on the prof, and not the faculty, whether or not you can take the course.

Also your chances to get a waver are slim, unless you have already taken courses that cover the topics covered in the prerequisites beforehand.
Old 07-07-2016 at 02:00 PM   #3
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

If your marks are good enough you can get a waiver of prereqs, so it seems. I got one, but only for a 2nd year GEOG course.

Do you know the profs? Maybe they're going to be concerned that you won't survive a 4th year class without the prereqs. Read the textbook for the prereq course over the summer, then go see them in person and tell them you read the books.
Old 07-08-2016 at 02:22 PM   #4
Starships2

Liked: 3 Times

You have to contact the academic advisor of that faculty and theyre usually the ones who give waivers. Its better to send one big email or its just extra work for them.