MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what to do if conflicting courses and both courses are very required? killza Academics 11 06-12-2010 05:08 PM
Do Medical Schools care if I took 4 courses first semester, 5 courses 2nd semester... Arnold General Discussion 6 07-17-2009 03:30 PM
Repetition of Courses: Students may repeat courses that have been failed or for which Arnold Academics 2 12-07-2008 04:39 AM

Eng 1 Courses

Old 06-16-2012 at 10:22 AM   #1
kws22

Liked: 0 Times

Eng 1 Courses
i'm feeling lost trying to figure out what to do about my time table before i enter it in 2 weeks. what are the best teachers for all the courses i've got to take?
chem 1eo3
1d04
1p03
1m03
1d03
1e03
1za3
1zb3
1zc3

i'm hearing a lot about childs being the best one for math, other than that i have no clue. any help would be really appreciated. as well as any other time table help
Old 06-16-2012 at 10:58 AM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kws22 View Post
i'm feeling lost trying to figure out what to do about my time table before i enter it in 2 weeks. what are the best teachers for all the courses i've got to take?
chem 1eo3
1d04
1p03
1m03
1d03
1e03
1za3
1zb3
1zc3

i'm hearing a lot about childs being the best one for math, other than that i have no clue. any help would be really appreciated. as well as any other time table help
You don't get to pick your sections until August, you have plenty of time to figure this out.
Old 06-16-2012 at 11:14 AM   #3
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

math (za, zb) --> Dr. CHILDS

math (zc) --> Dr. McLean

Chem 1E03 --> u have no choice but Dr.Barbier

1D04 programming --> Dr. Farmer

1M03 materials --> Dr. Zurob is OUTTA THE WORLD!!!

1D03 and 1E03 physics --> most ppl say Dr. Okon but i didn't find him any better than Dr. McKay
(just my opinion)

dont know abt p03 and c03

Andora says thanks to jon.john23 for this post.

jim1 likes this.
Old 06-16-2012 at 12:11 PM   #4
Twinkle
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

math (za, zb) --> Dr. CHILDS and Dr. Mclean

math (zc) --> Dr. McLean, this might change if they add/change the profs

Chem 1E03 --> u have no choice but Dr.Barbier, he's cool tho.

1D04 programming --> Dr. Farmer, your book and practice are the best teachers in this class.

1M03 materials --> Dr. Zurob is OUTTA THE WORLD!!!

1D03 and 1E03 physics --> most ppl say Dr. Okon but i didn't find him any better than Dr. McKay
(just my opinion), they are both good profs, but with Okon there's always entertainment value

dont know abt p03 and c03 - you dont have choice for those classes.

Andora likes this.
Old 06-16-2012 at 12:55 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kws22 View Post
chem 1eo3
1d04
1p03
1m03
1d03
1e03
1za3
1zb3
1zc3

1d04 only smith teaches now i believe
1po3 only fleisig
1mo3 the profs dont teach some 5th year does it now i believe. If you can get a prof get Zurob
PHysics 1d03/1e03 go to okon please
For 1za3/1zb3 try to get childs>mclean. Ben mares is decent too, he started teaching in my year. He's better 1on1 than lecture
1zc3 all asians with heavy accents. pick any. If you're lucky get Mclean
Old 06-16-2012 at 05:58 PM   #6
ricechrispy

Liked: 9 Times

i was helping a friend out with this too and he said these were the profs:

(i bolded the better prof)

for ENGINEERING MATHEMATICS I its only Mclean
for ENGINEERING MATHEMATICS II-A its Mclean or Hurd
for ENGINEERING MATHEMATICS II-B its either Bays or Mclean
for GEN CH:ENGNRING I its only Dumont
for WAVE,ELEC&MAGNETIC its Preston, Mckay, or Okon
for MECHANICS its Okon, Mckay, or Kleiman
for ENGIN DESIGN&GRAPH its Doyle
for ENGIN COMPUTATION doesnt say
for INTRO-PROF ENGIN its Fleisig
for STRUCTURE&PROPERTY its Zurob or Xu

Bays, Dumont and Hurd are new, so I'm not sure about them. You can try to "ratemyprof" them but it'll be hard to find because they are probably new to mac (thus they are still probably listed with their old school).

Also, the slots/cores aren't all filled in yet and don't list the prof because the department hasn't decided on who's teaching which core, so there may be other (possibly better) profs for you to choose from.
Old 06-16-2012 at 06:26 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

If you get into the habit of blaming 'bad profs' for doing badly in your courses... well... its not a good idea. If you're not naturally interested in the subjects then those good profs will help you out, but if you're dedicated, it doesn't matter.. just don't handicap yourself by blaming the prof

nerual likes this.
Old 06-16-2012 at 07:41 PM   #8
lgdynasty

Liked: 24 Times

These are my own experiences. Hope it helps

for math 1za3 & 1zb3:
best profs are Mclean or Childs.

for math 1zc3:
TRY to get Mclean. All the other profs have hard Asian accents.

I had Mclean for za3 and zc3.
Mclean is better 1 on 1. He helped me alot for zc3 if u go to his office hours.
Childs teaches za3 and zb3. He is a better lecturer and has beautiful writing compared to Mclean. but he is not as effective as Mclean if u ask Childs for help 1 on 1.

chem 1e03.
barbier was just alright. He post slides but they dont have all the info which kinda sucks.

materials 1m03.
any of them are alright.

physics 1do3 & 1e03.
some ppl say Okon. but you HAVE to KEEP up with lectures since he powers through them.

eng 1p03
only 1 prof i believe. course sucks IMO

eng 1c03.
I had Doyle. he was alright. my fav course.

eng 1d04.
Had Smith. i didn't go to lecture much.
Old 06-16-2012 at 10:54 PM   #9
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Math 1za3&1zb3: Dr. Childs or Dr. McLean
Tip: Read the book, do all of your homework, do the sample tests posted, and go to the math help centre in the basement of Hamilton Hall (HH) if you need extra help.
Math 1zc3: Dr. McLean.
Tip: Same tip as above.

Physics 1d03&1e03: I had Dr.Okon and he was good.
Tip: Read the book and do all of the capa problems.

Engineer 1c03: only Dr. Doyle
Tip: Get lots of practise using inventor, maplesim and practise sketching different objects from your homework.
Engineer 1d04: Dr. Farmer
Tip: Read in the book and do lots of practise problems (try to come up with simple programs on your own).
Engineer 1p03: only Dr. Fleisig
Tip: Just hope that you will end up with hard working students, because the project is half of the course (in terms of percent), the other half would be the midterm and the exam.

Matls 1m03: Dr. Zurob
Tip: Read in the book and do your assignments, also do old midterms, they are helpful.

Chem 1e03: only Dr. Barbier
Tip: Read in the book if you don't understand certain concepts and make sure you practise a lot with the old midterms posted on avenue.

You will never pick your profs on solar, they assign them to you according to your section, but you can move your timetable around in August if you want a different prof.
You can check to see what prof is teaching what course here (you only need to enter the course code):
https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/
Although they might change profs around.
Old 06-20-2012 at 11:43 AM   #10
newbo

Liked: 17 Times

From what I can remember of first year, Childs and McLean are the best for Math, Okon was great for Physics, everyone else was pretty forgettable just put the hard work in for those courses and you'll do fine, Barbier was the worst by far imo (unfortunately there is no alternative).
Old 06-20-2012 at 11:51 AM   #11
Bug324

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricechrispy View Post
i was helping a friend out with this too and he said these were the profs:

(i bolded the better prof)

for ENGINEERING MATHEMATICS I its only Mclean
for ENGINEERING MATHEMATICS II-A its Mclean or Hurd
for ENGINEERING MATHEMATICS II-B its either Bays or Mclean
for GEN CH:ENGNRING I its only Dumont
for WAVE,ELEC&MAGNETIC its Preston, Mckay, or Okon
for MECHANICS its Okon, Mckay, or Kleiman
for ENGIN DESIGN&GRAPH its Doyle
for ENGIN COMPUTATION doesnt say
for INTRO-PROF ENGIN its Fleisig
for STRUCTURE&PROPERTY its Zurob or Xu

Bays, Dumont and Hurd are new, so I'm not sure about them. You can try to "ratemyprof" them but it'll be hard to find because they are probably new to mac (thus they are still probably listed with their old school).

Also, the slots/cores aren't all filled in yet and don't list the prof because the department hasn't decided on who's teaching which core, so there may be other (possibly better) profs for you to choose from.
None of them are new profs. Bays was new last year. I only had him for one Math 1A03 class when he subbed for Haskell. He's okay, but kind of quiet. I had Dumont for chem 1A03. He wasn't bad. Not as good as Landry or Lock, but he would always add some interesting extra information to his lectures. Hurd taught Math 1AA3, but I had Baker, so I can't offer any useful info on Hurd. I think he was the course coordinator.
Old 06-20-2012 at 12:31 PM   #12
Jasonn

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
practice on avenue
What's avenue? Also, can you access the documents on this site https://sites.google.com/site/maceng...actice-questio
once you get a mac email?
Old 06-20-2012 at 12:49 PM   #13
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn View Post
What's avenue? Also, can you access the documents on this site https://sites.google.com/site/maceng...actice-questio
once you get a mac email?
"Avenue to learn" is where you will have access to most of your courses. I said most because some courses like math have their own websites (they will give you the link to this website in your first lecture).
Also, avenue is where you will submit quizzes/assignments for some courses. You will be on avenue a couple of times a day starting September
Avenue is also where profs write important changes/announcements to students.

I have never accessed this website before, but since it says: Please login using your McMaster e-mail address... I am assuming that once you get your email activated you can start using it.
I am not familiar with these websites (including DC++) because I live off campus unlike people in rez who are familiar with it.

The avenue website that you should bookmark :
http://avenue.mcmaster.ca/

Jasonn says thanks to jim1 for this post.