MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DAT Prep! needhelp Academics 3 05-30-2010 09:40 PM
Prep 101 - Value? Command "S" First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 11-19-2009 05:12 PM
Prep 101? k24u21 Academics 5 11-21-2008 11:48 AM
Prep 101 adamg6 Academics 2 11-13-2008 08:05 PM

Eng 1c03 Lab Prep?

Old 09-20-2010 at 08:40 PM   #1
ThagsanaR

Liked: 10 Times

Eng 1c03 Lab Prep?
Hey,

Well, I've got a lab for ENG 1C03 tomorrow and I just had a few questions:

1) How do we prepare for the lab?
2) What will the lab assignments be based on?
3) Do they teach you how to use AutoCAD from scratch?

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2010 at 08:47 PM   #2
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

My suggestion from experience, would be to download AutoCAD and just mess around with it before entering the lab. Try to create something even. If you can't do that, don't worry to much since they do teach you from scratch and do a few minutes of a tutorial on how to go about using the program. When I had my first lab (2 years ago so it may have changed), IIRC, we were giving a 1% assignment. They gave us this object and we had to model it in the program. To be honest, I was so freakin lost lol and didn't do very well, but as the semester went on though I practised and could create the objects easily and ended up killing the course. As you progress through the labs you start off with creating simple objects then you start to get to more complex object where you have to visualize it in your head and then creating multiple parts and putting them together to make something.

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 09-20-2010 at 08:51 PM.

ThagsanaR says thanks to AnguishedEnd for this post.
Old 09-20-2010 at 08:53 PM   #3
ThagsanaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnguishedEnd View Post
My suggestion from experience, would be to download AutoCAD and just mess around with it before entering the lab. Try to create something even. If you can't do that, don't worry to much since they do teach you from scratch and do a few minutes of a tutorial on how to go about using the program. When I had my first lab (2 years ago so it may have changed), IIRC, we were giving a 1% assignment. They gave us this object and we had to model it in the program. To be honest, I was so freakin lost lol and didn't do very well, but as the semester went on though I practised and could create the objects easily and ended up killing the course. As you progress through the labs you start off with creating simple objects then you start to get to more complex object where you have to visualize it in your head and then creating multiple parts and putting them together to make something.
Thanks! =)
I guess I'll play around with AutoCAD for a bit, haha. Ugh, it's really confusing, though.
Old 09-20-2010 at 09:38 PM   #4
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

you guys are using autocad this year? no more solidedge?
Old 09-21-2010 at 06:30 PM   #5
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

We are doing Inventor 2011 this year, plus MapleSIM later in the course.
Old 09-21-2010 at 10:56 PM   #6
ThagsanaR

Gah, that was one of the worst labs I've had to endure. Brutal. Thank god the assignment wasn't for marks, though.

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 09-21-2010 at 10:58 PM   #7
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

I did it on Monday. Its a TON of fun, and really simple (Though this may be because I've had experience with CAD programs before). They teach you from scratch, and you have like 2 hours to do one small 3D render. Its really simple, no prep required. Don't worry about it at all.