MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eng 1c03 Lab Prep? ThagsanaR First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-21-2010 10:58 PM
DAT Prep! needhelp Academics 3 05-30-2010 09:40 PM
Prep 101 - Value? Command "S" First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 11-19-2009 05:12 PM
Prep 101 adamg6 Academics 2 11-13-2008 08:05 PM

Prep 101?

Old 11-20-2008 at 06:39 PM   #1
k24u21

Liked: 0 Times

Prep 101?
Hi,

I am a first year student in life science.

I heard a review section called prep 101.

It is rather expensive ($95), and takes last precious few days before the exams.

So.... my question is this

Is it worth it?

Like, spending about $100 and last few days to study?

One of the things I am interested is the sample questions provided, but.....

Yeah, last question is that is it specially designed for McMaster courses or are the contents all the same for different university?

Thanks
Old 11-20-2008 at 06:59 PM   #2
webzn

Liked: 17 Times

The simple answer is, I can't answer it for you.

Everyone has their own study habits, and if you are able to study on your own, then you can save yourself the money. If the money is not an issue for you, and, you have a free day, go for it. Chemistry itself is generally universal, so one university cant really teach anything different since the basics are the basics.

To my knowledge, the courses are not generally designed with mcmaster, and I doubt profs would agrees to give them their course notes so that some other company could make money off them.

As for going just for sample questions, the profs should have previous exams up already, so there are your practice questions.
Old 11-20-2008 at 07:48 PM   #3
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Why are you writing each sentence on its own line with so much white space in between?
Old 11-20-2008 at 08:07 PM   #4
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Actually, looking at their site, I think the Prep101 courses are supposed to be specifically designed for McMaster's courses. However, it doesn't say that the instructors were previous students in that course, although they are supposedly knowledgeable in the subject.

I'm not trying to oppose the prep course necessarily, but I think it would be simply easier to access "free" resources, such as Help Centres in the basement of Thode (for Chem) or asking TAs or even your prof to clarify things. And most courses are able to provide previous exams, so those should help. Also consider study groups with other classmates if possible.

A three night cram-session may or may not be helpful for you.
Old 11-21-2008 at 07:11 AM   #5
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times

also on the 28th there will be a general review session hosted by the science dept. Although it probably wont be more than tips its probably a good plan to go to it if you can.

also whether this program you speak of is worth it, consider how well you studied on the last few midterms and how well you did, if you did ok then you likely know how to study properly and just need to time budget. if you didn't it might be good to go and get the proper study skills.

and as has already been stated, go for free help where you can if you have issues throughout
Old 11-21-2008 at 11:48 AM   #6
k24u21

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks
Thanks guys!!