MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eng 1c03 Lab Prep? ThagsanaR First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-21-2010 10:58 PM
DAT Prep! needhelp Academics 3 05-30-2010 09:40 PM
Prep 101? k24u21 Academics 5 11-21-2008 11:48 AM
Prep 101 adamg6 Academics 2 11-13-2008 08:05 PM

Prep 101 - Value?

Old 11-19-2009 at 08:11 AM   #1
Command "S"

Liked: 3 Times

Prep 101 - Value?
Does anyone have any comments on Prep 101 in general or more specifically for Prep 101 Chem 1A03? Is it of value as opposed to getting a personal tutoring - any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 11-19-2009 at 10:46 AM   #2
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Command "S" View Post
Does anyone have any comments on Prep 101 in general or more specifically for Prep 101 Chem 1A03? Is it of value as opposed to getting a personal tutoring - any feedback would be appreciated.
Personal tutoring is probably better, but Prep 101 is probably more convenient. I've not used either so I wouldn't know, but I'd just recommend reading the textbook, I guess.
Old 11-19-2009 at 11:04 AM   #3
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Waste of $.

Command "S" says thanks to Lois for this post.

Command "S" likes this.
Old 11-19-2009 at 11:49 AM   #4
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

The best strategy for Chem 1A03 is to get a hold of the Petrucci textbook in the summer, and do as many problems as you can. Speak with an upper year (or just post here) for an outline of the chapters covered, and then study the relevant chapters.

Then when you're actually in the course, redo the ones you struggled with, do the tutorial questions, thoroughly review practice exams and past papers and speak to your professor for more challenging material.
Also be sure to ask which chapters have incorrect information as some do.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 11-19-2009 at 01:11 PM   #5
tashatjong

Liked: 1 Time

i took prep101 courses for both chem1A03 and 1AA3 last year. i found them very helpful. i struggled a lot in chem last year and the instructor [who, btw, is excellent. her name is meghan, if she's the instructor again, i highly reccomend] is very enthusiastic and explains things very well. the booklet she makes for the course is also very simple [but thorough] and easy to follow. she focuses on what is important for the exam and helps you understand things in plain english.

Command "S" says thanks to tashatjong for this post.

Command "S" likes this.
Old 11-19-2009 at 05:03 PM   #6
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

What's Prep 101?
Old 11-19-2009 at 05:12 PM   #7
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

I did it last year and it was a total waste of money. Meghan is really nice, I agree, and she definitely understood the concepts, but the material they teach you isn't really relevant to what you'll get in the exam. They tend to just give you easy questions to make sure you can do the basic concepts, but on the actual exam you'll be doing problems that require a lot more thinking.

A better, and free, alternative is to use the practice midterms and the practice exams as a study tool. Do every question that they list as good practice. (I know its a lot). Whenever you come to one you don't know, look up or ask a friend/the prof how to do it. Keep a list of the questions you needed to do this for, and then make sure you can do them properly before the exam rolls around.

Command "S" says thanks to Marlowe for this post.