MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSAP Full time/part time question Phantom Financial Aid 1 03-17-2014 01:47 PM
Question about full time part time and summer school Loko First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 02-12-2013 04:54 PM
Is there a 45 minute time limit for selecting LABS/TUT/CORES on SOLAR tomorrow? lalalola2011 Academics 14 08-08-2012 09:51 PM
What time do the sc doors close? commie6666 General Discussion 3 01-15-2012 11:48 PM
what time does the gym close? 737300173 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-19-2011 07:02 PM

(Eng) As time for selecting a discipline is close, I would like to ask a question:

Old 01-04-2015 at 08:39 PM   #1
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

(Eng) As time for selecting a discipline is close, I would like to ask a question:
Hello everyone,
I have been doing some soul searching over the holidays. But, unfortunately, I cannot find an engineering stream that best fits me till now. So, you guys who are in upper years, can you tell if the program that you are/know of covers stuffs/topics like:

ii) Atomic world in detail
i) Nano-technology(Basically again, nano structure and fundamental paricles)

Based on the information, what field:

i) Chemical Engineering
ii) Materials Engineering
iii) Engineering Physics

Do you guys feel best suits me? Am I missing any fields?

I donot like huge stuff like in Civil Engineering, but like to work with fundamental particles and learn more about them. I heard about engineering physics with specialization in nano-system engineering or material science with nanomaterials specialization. Any nano stuff on chem eng? I did really well in chem 1e03 this semester. Also, the problem I am facing is I really like 2 completely separate disciplenes. I am pretty good at and like programming as well, and I love chemistry. A field where I can practice both(Especially a field where I can try on programming and nano stuff? I hate going big into acids/base stuff(molecules, yuk)) I am having a really hard time deciding among the 3, anybody could enlighten a confused soul?

Actually, I was also thinking on electrical engineering(First word electri I thought was electrons, one of the small scale particles) as well. Any thoughts on that and what I have been looking for? Forgive me for complete ignorance.

Last edited by ralts40(2) : 01-04-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-04-2015 at 09:49 PM   #2
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Well, first off: I don't think it's as depressing a situation as you opened with It's still rather early, there will be plenty of events in the Winter term where you can meet Profs, meet upper years, and hear more about these streams.

Now to the question: I would tend towards Eng Phys, based on your description of your preferences. All of these will have some level of programming (more than 1st year) in the sense that you will be using MATLAB to do some cool stuff. Eng Phys will have even a bit more MATLAB and programming of circuits and whatnot. Elec will have the most programming, and the least atomic scale stuff...

Eng Phys is not easy by any means, but if you enjoy the atomic scale concepts, and you're good at programming, you'll be well ahead of the majority of the class that tends to go there because they did poorly in first year

ralts40(2) says thanks to mike_302 for this post.

ralts40(2) likes this.
Old 01-04-2015 at 10:45 PM   #3
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating-4Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by GeorgeLucas.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 01-04-2015 at 11:19 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralts40(2) View Post
Hello everyone,
I have been doing some soul searching over the holidays. But, unfortunately, I cannot find an engineering stream that best fits me till now. So, you guys who are in upper years, can you tell if the program that you are/know of covers stuffs/topics like:

ii) Atomic world in detail
i) Nano-technology(Basically again, nano structure and fundamental paricles)

Based on the information, what field:

i) Chemical Engineering
ii) Materials Engineering
iii) Engineering Physics

Do you guys feel best suits me? Am I missing any fields?

I donot like huge stuff like in Civil Engineering, but like to work with fundamental particles and learn more about them. I heard about engineering physics with specialization in nano-system engineering or material science with nanomaterials specialization. Any nano stuff on chem eng? I did really well in chem 1e03 this semester. Also, the problem I am facing is I really like 2 completely separate disciplenes. I am pretty good at and like programming as well, and I love chemistry. A field where I can practice both(Especially a field where I can try on programming and nano stuff? I hate going big into acids/base stuff(molecules, yuk)) I am having a really hard time deciding among the 3, anybody could enlighten a confused soul?

Actually, I was also thinking on electrical engineering(First word electri I thought was electrons, one of the small scale particles) as well. Any thoughts on that and what I have been looking for? Forgive me for complete ignorance.
So you made a completely new account to post the same questions as before?
Though you did manage to word your thoughts in a more coherent way this time, there are still contradictions that I don't understand. Acids and bases essentially deal with protons, and electricity is the flow of electrons...Both deal with molecules/atoms/subatomic particles to similar degrees. It's obviously possible to have a preference for one versus the other, but what about it do you dislike about acids and bases? It can't be the fact that it involves protons...

It is my understanding that nanotechnology still deals with things on a molecular level (nanotechnology is essentially dealing with really tiny machines), so what is it about it that actually intrigues you?

It might also be worth talking to the academic advisors, and possibly even profs in various departments, to see what they suggest.

ralts40(2) says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 01-05-2015 at 08:42 AM   #5
mike_302
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucas View Post
Go with chemical engineering.

Materials engineering is on its way out as a field, same as metallurgy was 20 years ago.

Engineering Physics is hated by most of my friends from the department. The curriculum is half-baked, and good chuck of your courses will be pointless to you, as Eng Phys covers a broad range of knowledge.

You might also want to consider Physics degree from the science department. From what I hear it's not all that different from engineering, and my friends in that department love it.
What is this? This is the most backwards advice I've ever seen. It really shows that you hated your degree and time here at Mac... (To the OP, it only takes a few minutes reading GeorgeLucas' previous posts to see that he is largely pessimistic about the Engineering faculty, and that his time was not spent getting to know the faculty in any depth)

Materials engineering is NOT on its way out. You have no clue what goes on in that department if that's your opinion.

Eng Phys covers a broad range of topics, and there are streams in your upper years. The students that figure that out, specialize in courses that are useful to their goals (nano, nuclear, optics). As I said however, many in Eng Phys, failed in first year and landed there not by choice... The ones who embrace it, can successfully design and build robots to do some crazy stuff by the end.

Physics degrees look at the scientific theory. Not at the application of that science / design of technologies using that science. Very big difference...

ralts40(2) says thanks to mike_302 for this post.
Old 01-05-2015 at 09:00 AM   #6
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucas View Post
Go with chemical engineering.

Materials engineering is on its way out as a field, same as metallurgy was 20 years ago.

Engineering Physics is hated by most of my friends from the department. The curriculum is half-baked, and good chuck of your courses will be pointless to you, as Eng Phys covers a broad range of knowledge.

You might also want to consider Physics degree from the science department. From what I hear it's not all that different from engineering, and my friends in that department love it.
Chemical engineering is not the answer to his/her search! Keeping trekking young one.

Materials may be your best bet.

ralts40(2) says thanks to jon.john23 for this post.
Old 01-05-2015 at 01:13 PM   #7
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
So you made a completely new account to post the same questions as before?
Though you did manage to word your thoughts in a more coherent way this time, there are still contradictions that I don't understand. Acids and bases essentially deal with protons, and electricity is the flow of electrons...Both deal with molecules/atoms/subatomic particles to similar degrees. It's obviously possible to have a preference for one versus the other, but what about it do you dislike about acids and bases? It can't be the fact that it involves protons...

It is my understanding that nanotechnology still deals with things on a molecular level (nanotechnology is essentially dealing with really tiny machines), so what is it about it that actually intrigues you?

It might also be worth talking to the academic advisors, and possibly even profs in various departments, to see what they suggest.
This.

In addition, I tried PMing OP about my first hand experiences in undergraduate nanoscience research and what McMaster has to offer in matls and eng phys, but he was not interested. He's trolling.

ralts40(2) says thanks to adaptation for this post.
Old 01-05-2015 at 06:58 PM   #8
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
This.

In addition, I tried PMing OP about my first hand experiences in undergraduate nanoscience research and what McMaster has to offer in matls and eng phys, but he was not interested. He's trolling.
How am I trolling? I apologized for missing the appointment man, I forgot it and it was too damn early..

Adaptation, man..
Well, last time I remeber you saying, "One who is going to drop off by first test", and look, I am still here..
I am doing pretty good too, thanks to your insult I actually worked hard.

Also, for bio sciences(ChemBioEng), I saw the need of 1A03 which requires Bio 1P03 or high school Bio. I was wondering if those who did biosciences and chemical could tell me if I took Bio 1P03 (Dont have high school bio, so have to take 1P03) if that counts as technical elective?
Old 01-05-2015 at 07:45 PM   #9
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
How am I trolling? I apologized for missing the appointment man, I forgot it and it was too damn early..

Adaptation, man..
Well, last time I remeber you saying, "One who is going to drop off by first test", and look, I am still here..
I am doing pretty good too, thanks to your insult I actually worked hard.

Also, for bio sciences(ChemBioEng), I saw the need of 1A03 which requires Bio 1P03 or high school Bio. I was wondering if those who did biosciences and chemical could tell me if I took Bio 1P03 (Dont have high school bio, so have to take 1P03) if that counts as technical elective?
Well then it wasn't an insult, it was constructive criticism

I dont think engineering students need the bio prereq. If they did, it would be built into the program. I don't know which 1A03 you're talking about so I can't check, but usually for the bio-related courses there are several sets of prereqs, and engineering students are in a separate category.
Old 01-05-2015 at 07:48 PM   #10
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Well then it wasn't an insult, it was constructive criticism

I dont think engineering students need the bio prereq. If they did, it would be built into the program. I don't know which 1A03 you're talking about so I can't check, but usually for the bio-related courses there are several sets of prereqs, and engineering students are in a separate category.
From program desciption on academic calendar:

BIOLOGY 1A03 - Cellular and Molecular Biology

3 unit(s)
Structure, molecular composition and function in sub-cellular and cellular systems.
Three hours (lectures, web modules), one lab (two hours); one term
Prerequisite(s): Grade 12 Biology U or BIOLOGY 1P03 and registration in any Level I program in the Faculty of Science or any program above Level I; or registration in Arts & Science I, Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering, or Electrical and Biomedical Engineering
Co-requisite(s): WHMIS 1A00, HTH SCI 1BS0 if not already completed. Both requirements must be completed prior to the first lab.
Not open to students with credit or registration in HTH SCI 1I06 or ISCI 1A24.
Students are strongly encouraged not to take BIOLOGY 1A03 and BIOLOGY 1M03 in the same term.

For this one I meant. Seems like I have no choice but to take 1P03. My plan is to do chem 1aa3 in summer school, make space for 1p03 in 1st sem(no summer school for this course), and 1A03(bio) in 2nd term

http://academiccalendars.rom cmaste...ret urnto=563
Old 01-05-2015 at 07:53 PM   #11
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
From program desciption on academic calendar:

BIOLOGY 1A03 - Cellular and Molecular Biology

3 unit(s)
Structure, molecular composition and function in sub-cellular and cellular systems.
Three hours (lectures, web modules), one lab (two hours); one term
Prerequisite(s): Grade 12 Biology U or BIOLOGY 1P03 and registration in any Level I program in the Faculty of Science or any program above Level I; or registration in Arts & Science I, Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering, or Electrical and Biomedical Engineering
Co-requisite(s): WHMIS 1A00, HTH SCI 1BS0 if not already completed. Both requirements must be completed prior to the first lab.
Not open to students with credit or registration in HTH SCI 1I06 or ISCI 1A24.
Students are strongly encouraged not to take BIOLOGY 1A03 and BIOLOGY 1M03 in the same term.

For this one I meant. Seems like I have no choice but to take 1P03. My plan is to do chem 1aa3 in summer school, make space for 1p03 in 1st sem(no summer school for this course), and 1A03(bio) in 2nd term

http://academiccalendars.rom cmaste...ret urnto=563
No, you're reading the prerequisites incorrectly. Simply being registered in chemical engineering and bioengineering, or elec & biomed, or artsci is enough. If you are not in one of those programs then you need bio 1P03 or gr12 bio, and you must be above level 1 or a level 1 science student in order to take the course. The semicolons are important.

ralts40(2) says thanks to starfish for this post.

ralts40(2) likes this.
Old 01-05-2015 at 10:17 PM   #12
mike_302
Elite Member

I'm too confused now...

We went from atoms and nano-sciences, to biology.

Does not compute. If you want Chem or Elec Bio, by all means... But that's a very different path than anything you will see before Graduate Studies.
Old 01-06-2015 at 06:19 AM   #13
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
I'm too confused now...

We went from atoms and nano-sciences, to biology.

Does not compute. If you want Chem or Elec Bio, by all means... But that's a very different path than anything you will see before Graduate Studies.
Just a question I had on the back on my mind...
Old 01-06-2015 at 07:43 AM   #14
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Literally "ON" the back of your mind?
Old 01-06-2015 at 09:33 AM   #15
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Slightly to the left