MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineer 1D04 Ish001 Academics 20 08-08-2010 04:34 PM
1EE0 Suddenly showed up on my ELM HaXoRZ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 10-03-2009 07:55 PM
Engineering 1EE0 HaXoRZ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-12-2009 06:25 PM
Engineer 1p03 shahbah General Discussion 2 06-30-2009 12:17 PM
Engineer Co-op. Kurt_ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 11-18-2008 09:31 AM

Engineer 1EE0

Old 08-25-2010 at 08:19 AM   #1
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

Engineer 1EE0
Okay, Engineers. Talk to me about 1EE0, the class required for the co-op program.

Is it a one-time-only class? Or weekly? What do they show you in the class?
Anything like that that you may know about it. I wanna add the course later today (will it increase my tuition?).
Old 08-25-2010 at 08:37 AM   #2
dilks

Liked: 4 Times

I believe it is 8 hours if they didn't change it so if they offer weekend classes its 2 4-hour classes. The regular week classes are 4 2-hour classes, at least thats what it was last year. My opinion of it is a huge waste of time. You sit and do some meaningless exercises about ethical behavior and some assignments that are mindless. They do show you the way you should do a resume and cover letter but each instructor has there own opinion on which is more necessary and thereby you only know one well. It increase your tuition by 100 bucks doing it in first year is kind of unnecessary because you spend more money. I will explain, its a 100 bucks to be in the coop program so it's an annual fee for every year you are signed up. Since the chances of getting a coop after first year is slim, though you may try but I don't see the point in paying the coop department for nothing.
Old 08-25-2010 at 08:59 AM   #3
Theashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilks View Post
I believe it is 8 hours if they didn't change it so if they offer weekend classes its 2 4-hour classes. The regular week classes are 4 2-hour classes, at least thats what it was last year. My opinion of it is a huge waste of time. You sit and do some meaningless exercises about ethical behavior and some assignments that are mindless. They do show you the way you should do a resume and cover letter but each instructor has there own opinion on which is more necessary and thereby you only know one well. It increase your tuition by 100 bucks doing it in first year is kind of unnecessary because you spend more money. I will explain, its a 100 bucks to be in the coop program so it's an annual fee for every year you are signed up. Since the chances of getting a coop after first year is slim, though you may try but I don't see the point in paying the coop department for nothing.
I thought Mac had a pretty good co-op program?
Old 08-25-2010 at 09:41 AM   #4
dilks

Liked: 4 Times

Thats what they say just cause your not paying 5 grand to guarantee a coop doesn't make it good. In my opinion I thought the class was mindless and the only benefit was the resume/cover letter assignment. Otherwise you just sit there and listen to them talk. Then when your done they don't help you get a coop placement. They claim to be a good coop program but having experienced and how slow they are to do stuff for you makes me question it. They also charge you if you find your own coop through say monster.ca or a connection. Yes they charge more money once your actually in a coop, mind you your still paying way less money then say waterloo but again nothing is a guarantee at mac.
Old 08-25-2010 at 10:01 AM   #5
Theashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilks View Post
Thats what they say just cause your not paying 5 grand to guarantee a coop doesn't make it good. In my opinion I thought the class was mindless and the only benefit was the resume/cover letter assignment. Otherwise you just sit there and listen to them talk. Then when your done they don't help you get a coop placement. They claim to be a good coop program but having experienced and how slow they are to do stuff for you makes me question it. They also charge you if you find your own coop through say monster.ca or a connection. Yes they charge more money once your actually in a coop, mind you your still paying way less money then say waterloo but again nothing is a guarantee at mac.
Hmm. I'd heard only good things about Mac's co-op program. I thought they actually helped you get a job placement. That seems pretty disappointing. What percentage of students would you say actually get a placement?
Old 08-25-2010 at 10:11 AM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Its a coop class. You can do it any year (not only 1st year) but only once you do it you can view coop postings on oscar.

You can have four 2-hour sessions (few options during the week) or two 4-hour sessions (on saturday). I suggest doing it term 1 since coop postings will start popping up in January 2011.

As for the students that get a placement - for 1st and 2nd years - pretty dam low.
Old 08-25-2010 at 10:12 AM   #7
Disney

Liked: 2 Times

I certainly agree that 1EE0 wasn't the most interesting class... my advice would be to get it done asap so you don't have to worry about it, and can apply for jobs whenever : )

some benefits:
-apparently co-op after you are 1/2 done the program can count towards ur time for a P. Eng if ur interested in getting one
-lol, it's not that unlikely to get co-op after first year. its just not reasonable to expect something really great in terms of specific engineering experience (considering you will only have taken a general 1st yr...)
-ECCS seems really willing to help you out with anything. And the manager is super nice=) I'm not too sure how well they help you find placements, cause i've generally looked for them on my own.
-opens the opportunity to do longer work terms (8mnths, 12mnths, whatever) while still being a full time student. i've only done 4mnth ones, but everyone that i know with longer ones thinks its a great experience, and really enjoyed it. this also makes it easier to find a job when ur done (if they like u:p)

ThagsanaR likes this.
Old 08-25-2010 at 10:40 AM   #8
amitoj

Liked: 15 Times

I didnt apply for coop when I applied for mac. I was planning to some how get into coop program for the upcoming summer and for the next 4 years.

Now, would that be possible? Also, is there a slim chance for me for actually getting into coop?
Old 08-25-2010 at 10:50 AM   #9
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I didnt apply for coop when I applied for mac. I was planning to some how get into coop program for the upcoming summer and for the next 4 years.

Now, would that be possible? Also, is there a slim chance for me for actually getting into coop?
If you have decent marks, it is easy to actually get into the co-op program. I wouldnt worry about it. I would just call up ECS and see what they say. Im sure they would love it as it =extra money
Old 08-25-2010 at 10:54 AM   #10
Theashe

Quote:

Add Engineer 1EE0 on SOLAR. It doesn't cost anything and it's not worth any credits.

Then go to the co-op office at McMaster in the school year and arrange a date to do the course.
Old 08-25-2010 at 12:23 PM   #11
Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theashe View Post
Add Engineer 1EE0 on SOLAR. It doesn't cost anything and it's not worth any credits.

Then go to the co-op office at McMaster in the school year and arrange a date to do the course.
well, i'm pretty sure it adds an extra $100 on ur payment deal. but yeah, other than that co-op is extremely easy to get into
Old 08-25-2010 at 08:32 PM   #12
amitoj

Liked: 15 Times

Lets say I enroll into coop next year (2nd year). And it just happens that I find a job the summer before 2nd year starts. Now is it possible to include those 4 months of the job as coop? (I hope this makes sense).
Thanks.
Old 08-25-2010 at 09:34 PM   #13
Disney

Quote:
Lets say I enroll into coop next year (2nd year). And it just happens that I find a job the summer before 2nd year starts. Now is it possible to include those 4 months of the job as coop? (I hope this makes sense).
Thanks.
yup, makes sense! but unfortunately not:p cause that means u would have escaped paying that $100 for it in first year. lol but anyways:
http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/eccs/engc...s_options.html
which pretty much says u have to take 1EE0 before you are eligible for a work term:(