MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Business admission amare First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 03-22-2010 08:25 AM
Admission into Health Sci Yeah General Discussion 33 05-05-2009 07:28 PM
Engineering Musical Info Night!! micadjems General Discussion 0 09-15-2008 06:43 AM
Admission Cut Off Average Daisydawne18 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 04-11-2008 08:32 PM
First Year Engineering Info Night Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-28-2008 01:17 AM

Engineering 1 ADMISSION INFO/HELP!!

Old 02-12-2011 at 09:19 AM   #16
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhawatk View Post
yess like you saidd. . im more that 100% sure they dont use functionsss ...but honestlyy i know my other marks are good butt how can i make my english teacher make me give a 70% by april caz i dont think ill reach that since we are only doing one more essay till then..:(
Seriously? Put in the work and hand in stuff WORTH a 70%. If you don't deserve the mark, then your english teacher SHOULDN'T give it to you. If you only have one more essay (and I assume an exam?) then either do amazing on the essay or take the lower mark. It may or may not be representative of your actual abilities in english, but you can't make your teacher give you the mark you want if your work doesn't merit it.

amyshi likes this.
Old 02-12-2011 at 09:27 AM   #17
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
yess like you saidd. . im more that 100% sure they dont use functionsss ...but honestlyy i know my other marks are good butt how can i make my english teacher make me give a 70% by april, caz i don't think i'll reach that since we are only doing one more essay till then..:(
Well, it's an English mark, right? So the first thing you must do is practice speaking and writing in English efficiently, and typing like this would definitely not help. Teachers are usually not out to get you, unless they hold an extremely unlikely grudge on you or your class.

L'Étoile says thanks to justinsftw for this post.

alh24, L'Étoile like this.
Old 02-12-2011 at 09:56 AM   #18
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
yess like you saidd. . im more that 100% sure they dont use functionsss ...but honestlyy i know my other marks are good butt how can i make my english teacher make me give a 70% by april caz i dont think ill reach that since we are only doing one more essay till then..:(
I had a little sympathy, but now its all gone. You must now type with perfect spelling, grammar and punctuation from now on to get it back!

Seriously, with a school this big you really need to set yourself apart from the countless hordes of 'fobs'... otherwise you're just another potential engineering student
Old 02-12-2011 at 12:07 PM   #19
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

Oh my mistake. I figured if they require calculus, they should also require functions since its a pre-req.

Edit: at least thats how it was for my school.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Last edited by Boolean : 02-12-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-12-2011 at 12:37 PM   #20
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

read lots of novels. I got a 92% in english and my teacher thought i was an "excellent writer and proofreader". I however, to this day, still do not know what any of the rules are. I just read something over an KNEW it was not right because I used to read so much. Build an intuition.

some other things you can do to help your english:
1) never use contractions (don't, can't etc).
2) go for flow: if the teacher has to pause while reading your work because u made a mistake that makes it difficult to read then you will get a lower mark. On the other hand if its simple and easy to read, your teacher, who likely has to mark about 100 essays, will really appreciate it.
3) alter between long and short sentences, including the most important points in the shorter sentences. This makes it more interesting to read and makes your more important points jump out at the reader.
4) BE very analytical. If you are getting a 55 in english, chances are you are a poor writer. make up for this my making abstract and analytical comparisons in your essays. Making such comparisons PROVES you have an excellent understanding of the book you were supposed to read and that you are intelligent enough to relate the book to other books or the real world. Your teacher will be more likely to forgive you on poor communication if you demonstrate this.
5) Impress you teacher. Challenge yourself. Dont pick up some tiny book or teen novel. Read an adult book riddled with metaphor. If you really want to impress, use Homer's Odyssey as a book in your final exam. This will prove to your teacher that you are serious about your mark. In my final essay I had to relate a few separate books to "the journey from child to adult" or something like that. I picked Homer's Odyssey because that is what the book is about. The essay was a joke because i didnt have to prove anything..only pull a few good quotes.

FINALLY:
in high school, your mark is determined by the culmination of you most consistent and MOST RECENT marks. If you improve drastically at the end, your teacher is supposed to remove some of your bad marks from the beginning of the year.

improve yourself, stay optimistic, and good luck on getting in.

BlueWave, RyanC like this.
Old 02-12-2011 at 12:41 PM   #21
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
FINALLY:
in high school, your mark is determined by the culmination of you most consistent and MOST RECENT marks. If you improve drastically at the end, your teacher is supposed to remove some of your bad marks from the beginning of the year.
Since when?!?!?! Maybe your school had some different rules...I definitely didn't have this.

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 02-12-2011 at 12:42 PM   #22
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Since when?!?!?! Maybe your school had some different rules...I definitely didn't have this.
my school did not have those rules either O.o

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 02-12-2011 at 12:56 PM   #23
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

My school didn't have those rules per se, but I think they used it as a tactic to scare us.

For example, my physics teacher said if I was getting, for example, 98 in the class around midterm, and I started getting 70s on the rest of the tests and the exam, I would finish normally with maybe a mid 80s or something or low 80s, but he could potentially give me a mark lower than normal because my most recent marks were all below 80.

Anyway: dude, 55% in English? >_>
How hard could it possibly be? Just write down some bull****, make it eloquent, do all your work on time, and there: high 90s.

Mahratta, Mikob11 like this.
Old 02-12-2011 at 01:08 PM   #24
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

I remember my teacher used to say it was a Ontario education policy that most teachers followed. It is however a grey area more up to individual discretion. They can make SMALL alterations to marks to show the most recent and consistent mark. This is usually done by lowing the weight of the unusual or older assignment, not removing it entirely.
Also, this practice is not often done because people tend to be fairly consistent and dont improve or drop much through the semester.

I was unable to find the lines specifically in legislature documents but a search on google of "ontario, most recent and consistent marks" came up with this:

//a website run by teachers that explains newer and older grading practices
http://growsuccess.ca/

//Essex school board (ontario)
http://www.gecdsb.on.ca/d&g/onlinepd...Evaluation.htm

//"How Final Grades are Determined in Mathematics in Ontario: Twelve Teachers Explain", a study from the university of Ottawa
http://www.mea.uottawa.ca/documents/CSSE-2009-MS.pdf
Old 02-12-2011 at 01:10 PM   #25
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Hello,

My name is Rishad. I'm currently a grade 12 student. And im really worried about my average, because i really want to get accepted to mcmaster, but im not sure if i'll make it.

Anyways. so im aware that high schools are sending marks to uni very soon in February and these are my current marks:

English: 55
Computer Science: 84
Functions: 74
Physics: 86
Chemistry: 91
Biology: 82
-------------------
Ave = 78.6%

Obviously this is a really bad average, and i realize i wont get in with these marks, but mac engineering accounts calculus as one of the 4 compulsory courses needed (physics, chem, calculus, English). And i also know that my English mark is really low as well at the moment. But when they send in marks in April i believe i can achieve these marks for my top six including the required courses:

English: 65
Computer Science: 84
Physics: 86
Chemistry: 91
Calculus: 90
Biology: 85
------------------------
Ave = 83.5%

As you can see, i believe my average will be around this when the school send marks in april.
And my questions are, will the marks that were sent in February affect my acceptance eventhough my average is a lot higher in April? And also another thing is, my english mark, is it too low ..eventhoug im in the average range for engineering 1? when i called the admission office they said that as long as your average is above the cutoff and you pass the course, its fine?..but do you think this will affect my chances of getting in.

And finally...will i get into engineering 1 ?!?!?!
if u get 84% average yes u will get in just study hard
Old 02-13-2011 at 01:03 AM   #26
Disney

Liked: 2 Times

There is some info on the mac website about admissions:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /forms/canad.php <-seems like you'll want to be as high in the 80s as you can get

http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/future/apply.html <- apparently there is a supplementary form if you think your avg will be below the cut-off...

Good luck getting in!