Software Engineering & Management TheAxtmann Academics 16 06-02-2010 08:20 AM
Engineering Management hork0 Academics 2 01-27-2010 07:06 PM

Engineering and Management impossible?

Old 04-24-2012 at 01:20 AM   #1
KuNFuZeD

Liked: 3 Times

Engineering and Management impossible?
Hello everyone,
I just finished 2nd year of just chem eng and I am planning to switch into Chem Eng and Management. My average overall is high enough for it. The two courses I need are Commerce 2AA3 and Econ 2X03 which I can take this summer. (http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...12/pg1204.html)

My question is,
is Management really worth it? I know its alot of work, but is it impossible? as engineering is already pretty hard, adding a management degree could make it impossible? ahhahaa
The commerce courses look pretty hard too, as Chem Eng and Management is like doing engineering and commerce at the same time!
Old 04-24-2012 at 03:28 AM   #2
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

I know a couple that takes management and from what I have seen, they are constantly on the go and it adds unneeded stress on them, ie. business meetings, conferences, etc etc when they have midterms/assignments just around the corner.

I personally feel management is not worth pursuing if you want to work with a company first rather than opening up a business of your own. When you work with a company, you will be dealing with people with seniority and usually they are the ones up for management first and are your mentors. On top of that, when you reach the glass ceiling after a certain years, they will help cover your tuition when you want to pursue a M.Eng or a MBA degree. Pros and cons.

If you have a vision or think you have a great product to sell, management will benefit you in some way. On top of that, if you wish to pursue a MBA degree, you only have to do a year's worth.

Someone from management will probably come forward and answer questions better than I can.

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2012 at 06:01 AM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

i've heard alota ppl sign up for it and end up regreetting it, some dropping it. it does sound nice at the end of ur degree but it's already stressing an already stressfull degree. If you are always on top of ur studies and can handle more lameness then go for it
Old 04-24-2012 at 07:42 AM   #4
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Eng & Management isn't hard. Hell, even straight eng isn't hard. If anything, Eng & Management makes it easier, because it spreads out the actual semi-difficult courses out.

Old 04-24-2012 at 08:36 AM   #5
GregZ

Liked: 4 Times

I just finished 4th year of Chem Eng and Management, and all I can say is that I have absolutely no regrets of taking the business courses. I feel that I am learning so much from both my business and my engineering courses, and I don't think I would change anything if I went back to 1st year again. Since adding management on adds another year to your university, you can kind of juggle how/ when you want to take certain courses. I have varried my schedule around so much, but it has also made my life a lot easier. If you have any specific questions, you can shoot me an email
Old 04-24-2012 at 10:39 AM   #6
Aftermath

Liked: 5 Times

This depends on your perspective. I've heard more chem/civil eng students say that management is worth it than people from software/mech/tron, where many don't think it's valuable enough to add a year to your program. I'm in the management program myself and I feel that some of the courses are constructive and insightful but others less so (read/memorize/regurgitate courses).
Old 04-24-2012 at 11:44 AM   #7
GregZ

Liked: 4 Times

Yes, your 2nd year OB, marketing, and HR are all read and regurgitate classes. But once you get past those, and into the real business classes like 3rd year marketing, 3rd year finance, and whatever electives you want, I feel as if you actually learn about the business world and how to better place yourself in the future
Old 04-24-2012 at 04:27 PM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Only do it if you're actually interested in the management aspect, and not just how it will look on your degree at the end. The majority of people I know in the management program really dislike it.
Old 04-24-2012 at 05:05 PM   #9
forever0zero

Liked: 39 Times

Do it, the business courses are a good break from the usual hard engineering stuff so you actually spread the eng stuff over 5 years. but be prepared for conflicting tests between your engineering and business courses. i've already on two ocassions, had two midterms that were one after the other.
Old 04-24-2012 at 05:49 PM   #10
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

it depends on how well you get business stuff. if you have no problem in it, then id go for it since it is interesting, but it was weird adjusting from eng courses. our tests have like 6 questions in 2 hours, many of theirs have 40+ per hour so you have to go at a very fast pace, and the first couple tests i paced myself bad and didnt finish
Old 04-25-2012 at 12:24 PM   #11
funkdmonkey

Liked: 27 Times

I enjoy management, it is a good way to open up your opportunities and experience something new. I had many interviews for internships in the early spring and they were very impressed with the management aspect of my degree. It really differentiates yourself from all the other engineers which will essentially have the same qualifications as each other. It may sound stereotypical, but most engineers aren't the greatest when it comes to writing reports and doing presentations. Management gives you the chance to develop these skills.

As for difficulty, I would say it makes life much easier. I personally find the commerce courses to be much easier compared to the engineering courses. So rather than taking 6 or 7 engineering courses a term, you can litter commerce courses in between and give yourself a chance to breath. I'm assuming you'll still have to take an extra year of school in your position, so that naturally stretches out your courses and gives you more time to study. It is up to you to decide if staying back an extra year will be worth it.

I'm speaking from the perspective of Eng Phys Mgmt IV. There are about 12 of us in management from Eng Phys from my year. All of us that looked for internships managed to land one.
Old 04-27-2012 at 02:04 PM   #12
civeng14

Liked: 0 Times

Society is so much better than Management anyways, so I wouldn't worry about it
Old 04-27-2012 at 03:33 PM   #13
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng14 View Post
Society is so much better than Management anyways, so I wouldn't worry about it
I honestly think it more or less depends on what you want to do for possible future job careers. If you wanted to do something for example as helping out third world countries by engineering and implemented water infrastructures for them..sure Eng & Society would be much better. If you see yourself somewhere down the road in an managerial position in some engineering company then you would rather go with the Eng & Management option.
Old 06-11-2012 at 06:44 PM   #14
KuNFuZeD

Liked: 3 Times

Thank you everyone for your replies, I switched to Chem Eng and Mngt hopefully my life does not become hell and i dont regret doing this
Old 09-10-2012 at 11:00 AM   #15
spasojm

Liked: 0 Times

I'm in fourth year Mechanical and Management. To be honest I find that a lot of the commerce courses are not too time consuming and usually bring up your GPA.