MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering Tution Question MacPack Financial Aid 3 07-09-2010 04:13 PM
Engineering Level II Question VastHorizon Academics 2 04-29-2010 10:10 AM
Engineering Cutoff/Summerschool question kenvin100 Academics 11 05-07-2009 01:56 PM
Question about multiple choice exams in engineering Oilers Academics 13 05-02-2009 11:14 PM
GPA calculation question (engineering) kenvin100 Academics 8 04-19-2009 01:06 PM

Engineering Cut Off Question

Old 04-29-2009 at 01:12 AM   #1
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Engineering Cut Off Question
So I'm curious; marks are posting up, and in one of my courses, I did really bad compared to what I thought I would get.
I was hoping on getting that 8 avg. after exams since it was very doable, but after the string of exams (like crappy 1p03) I'm at a point where I'll probably skim under that 8. Now, does the cut off remove you immediately from consideration if you fall below it? Or is it an anticipated average that will guarantee you getting in? I'd really like to know, because I heard that having an 8 was recommended for Mechanical and Management.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-2009 at 04:18 AM   #2
ViktorVaughn

Each program has a certain number of spaces. Admission is based on how well everyone else does and how many apply for the same program. So; you won't be excluded from consideration just because your mark is below a certain amount (unless that amount is a 4.0). The cutoffs are estimates usually from the previous year's lowest marks that got a seat + a bit extra to give you a "recommended" place to aim for.

I'm in 4th/5th year mech and management. Everyone made a fuss about getting a good average to get into their programs, but in reality it was much easier. I had an 8.6 CA in first year and was worried, but in the end there were people who made it into Mech&Mgt with 6.5.

You'll be fine.

Last edited by ViktorVaughn : 04-29-2009 at 04:24 AM.

BlakeM, RoyK all say thanks to ViktorVaughn for this post.
Old 04-29-2009 at 09:42 AM   #3
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Yep, it's all based on demand, so if no one else (or not to capacty amount of people) want your program, you only need a 4.

RoyK says thanks to micadjems for this post.
Old 04-29-2009 at 01:35 PM   #4
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

thanks for the replies guys
Old 04-29-2009 at 04:27 PM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

What course did you screw up?