MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summerschool! snair Academics 1 08-11-2010 06:02 AM
Engineering cutoff / btech terryboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 05-06-2010 04:15 PM
Engineering Cut Off Question RoyK Academics 4 04-29-2009 04:27 PM
Second year science- Cutoff Averages macsci General Discussion 1 04-04-2009 10:32 PM
What is the official cutoff for Radiation Sciences? kenvin100 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 05-02-2008 04:31 PM

Engineering Cutoff/Summerschool question

Old 04-29-2009 at 08:17 AM   #1
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Engineering Cutoff/Summerschool question
Having completed my first year of engineering, I am in a situation similar to others, where I might not have enough points (or gpa what ever) to get into the stream of my choice.

I talked to Sally Williams about it and she said (for my situation) that I could take summer school just to get those extra points..Im basically in a situation where I have not failed anything but I just need some more points to get into the stream of my choice

My question is: Am I allowed to take any course for summer school (for which I do infact have a legimitate excuse: Brandon Hall Fire), or do I need to take courses where I got a 1-3 score. I really dont want to take a course like mechanics, I would prefer taking a multimedia course or something relaxing for 2 months..

Any comments are appreciated

Old 04-29-2009 at 09:40 AM   #2
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I would suggest upgrading your poor first year marks - i'm not sure if they take everything into account or just the regular marks + 2 electives, or if they take +unlimited electives (though your total would be out of more units so it would take longer to get higher...)

... you'd have to ask. *shrug*
Old 04-29-2009 at 10:36 AM   #3
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
I would suggest upgrading your poor first year marks - i'm not sure if they take everything into account or just the regular marks + 2 electives, or if they take +unlimited electives (though your total would be out of more units so it would take longer to get higher...)

... you'd have to ask. *shrug*
hmm, well i was hoping to get a little fast tracking done by taking second yr econ courses..i really dont want to spend time doing physics again

Old 04-30-2009 at 01:37 PM   #4
ash0000

Liked: 41 Times

im with jackie on this one, its better to retake some courses and get better marks in them, it will help you get into your program of choice, and you will likely do better since you already took the course.

Also, if youre average was below a 4, you will need to get reinstated, and if you successfully get reinstated (your situation seems like you will, if its even nessecary) you would absolutely have to retake any course with a mark under a four.
Old 04-30-2009 at 11:17 PM   #5
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

is getting reinstated a common thing? a friend of mine is in a similar situation and sally williams made it sound like it was a rare occurrence
Old 05-01-2009 at 12:30 AM   #6
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Wait...so is it possible to retake courses in the summer to affect the points requirement to get into my stream of choice? I recall it being explicitly stated that summer courses have no impact whatsoever on your admission points.
Old 05-01-2009 at 01:43 AM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Wait...so is it possible to retake courses in the summer to affect the points requirement to get into my stream of choice? I recall it being explicitly stated that summer courses have no impact whatsoever on your admission points.
From what I've heard; this is a new thing.
Old 05-01-2009 at 07:55 AM   #8
ash0000

It isnt a rare occurance, in fact its quite common, in the past anyway. The thing is, they dont like to do it, so you need a damn good excuse for f*cking up. I had to in 2nd year, and there were a number of reasons for me. The brandon hall situation is definetly a good excuse, but you need to also demonstrate that you understand why it happened and are taking steps to make sure it will never happen again. It isnt pleasant, youll be waiting on a thread until the last few weeks of the summer to even know if you are in engineering again. So hopefully you dont have to go through that.

Nila, if you're friend wants to stay in engineering bad enough, tell them they need to work their butt off, and be honest. It is totally possible to get reinstated, but the key thing is demonstrating that you actually do want it, and why you want it.

Last edited by ash0000 : 05-01-2009 at 07:59 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 05-01-2009 at 07:58 AM   #9
ash0000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
From what I've heard; this is a new thing.

If it is true, then it is definetly a new thing. What I meant (in regards to the past) was if you didnt have enough marks to make it into a program (but were still able to make it to 2nd year) you could retake courses and the higher marks would be used as evidence to let you into a program on a case by case basis. This is also true for if you had semi-decent marks but failed a course, or dropped a course. But either way im pretty sure they handled them on a case by case basis when they were nessecary. Otherwise its the same automated system.
Old 05-07-2009 at 02:06 AM   #10
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

I didn't realize it before, but I'm in the exact same boat as kenvin. I didn't fail any courses (as in, get 0), but I did do poorly enough to significantly drop my average, and because I am only taking 31 units, I'm already at a disadvantage.

I'm taking a second-year Econ course right now (summer term 1) to aid in my business minor, and I just want to clarify by asking explicitly: will the mark be considered for second-year discipline choices?

I know first-year courses are offered in the summer for those who actually failed them the first time through, but since they're the last ones considered for program selection, does that mean they only get whatever scrap programs are left and not full? Or is there a spot held for them for when they do pass the courses they failed the first time around?
Old 05-07-2009 at 06:40 AM   #11
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

You guys should definitely check out engineering student services and ask

I'm going to guess no, however. You guys see what you get into may 30th. Let's say you redo everything and do awesome in summerschool. They're not going to bump someone out of the program that they've already accepted....
Old 05-07-2009 at 01:56 PM   #12
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Do you need to retake courses if you are sitting low in one of your courses? I did bad in one of mine, but my CA is still quite a bit over an 8 and I really don't want to take summer school for this course :X (I loathed it). I am under full course load for eng too, so 37 units.

Last edited by RoyK : 05-07-2009 at 02:02 PM.