MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Btech vs. Engineering terryboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 03-11-2010 04:56 AM
About Btech ltswat Academics 1 06-07-2009 04:36 PM
Engineering Cutoff/Summerschool question kenvin100 Academics 11 05-07-2009 01:56 PM
Second year science- Cutoff Averages macsci General Discussion 1 04-04-2009 10:32 PM
What is the official cutoff for Radiation Sciences? kenvin100 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 05-02-2008 04:31 PM

Engineering cutoff / btech

Old 04-03-2010 at 09:22 AM   #1
terryboy
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Engineering cutoff / btech

I have been accepted at Mcmaster for btech for this fall 2010. I applied to 2 programs.Ffirst beginning engineering and second beginning btech. My current average including (adv function / physics/chem./english) is 81.75%. This semester in calculus mark will range btwn 73-75 religion-80-83 comtech-83-85. My prediction my overall mark would end around 81.3%

I called admission's office and asked them what was the cut-off for engineering last year and they have said 82. So i am wondering if i will make it into engineering at McMaster.

My second question how does the btech program work because i am really confused. I applied for the automotive vehicle tech. On the website they mention that after 4 years i will receive an advanced diploma from Mohawk and a degree from McMaster. I always wanted to become an engineer is it possible after the 4 years of btech at McMaster i can do couple of exams and projects and earn an engineering degree. If so, where can earn the engineering degree.

Also if i get around 73-75 in cal can i do summer school and show McMaster for engineering or will it be too late.

Thank you

Last edited by terryboy : 04-03-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-03-2010 at 11:21 AM   #2
BenTran

Liked: 3 Times

Not sure about BTech but mcmaster engineering cut-off last year was a 82-83% cut-off but you must keep your average above 79% by the time you graduate or else your offer will be revolked. I know a friend that was just below 79% and got his offer taken away so McMaster is strict with the marks for sure. I think B.Tech and Engineering is totally different. To get an engineering degree, you must get admitted to McMaster engineering program.

Once completed B.Tech, you will only recieve a dipolma from Mohawk and a Bachelor of technology degree at McMaster.

-Ben
Old 04-03-2010 at 11:32 AM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Wow. 2 years ago cutoff was ~80% to get into engineering.

Im pretty sure if cutoff is 82, it will stick at 82, unless everyone applying (or majority) are <82%. As for BTech, i dont think so. The programs are different, so you will have to start from the beginning.

What you could do is do 1st year BTech, then get a high average, and get a transfer into first year engineering, next fall.

Good Luck!
Old 04-03-2010 at 12:40 PM   #4
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

umm, I think you would get better answers to your questions if you called people at the B.tech program and the Eng program. You seem to ask the same questions again and again and are obviously not getting the answers you want.

I believe Grace is the one to call about Btech:
http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/Schools/...contactUs.html

and Sally Williams for first year eng:
http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/about/peopleassocdean.html

hope that helps.
Old 04-03-2010 at 12:45 PM   #5
blackdragon
Elite Member

Yup, grace is on the 2nd floor of ETB. Go see her, will be helpful
Old 04-03-2010 at 02:42 PM   #6
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Terryboy...
Look, I am all for helping next year's frosh. And I'd still love to see you out frosh week next year, for B.Tech or Engineering, but you have already made this thread at least once, and similar kinds before. The last thread you posted essentially said: You made it into B.Tech, not engineering yet, and you wanted to know the difference and the possibility of getting you're P.Eng. out of it.

You shouldn't repeatedly make these posts. Go back to your original one. If you have something that builds on your original question: Ask it in the first thread. It won't just help you: It will help everyone else here.

Asking the same question in a new thread won't necessarily get new people with new answers.

As I had answered before: What happens, will happen. Don't worry about "maybe" getting into engineering. You're making predictions about your final mark and asking if that's good enough. The honest truth? Don't bank on "getting an 82% means I'm automatically in". It varies from year to year. Maybe your year is going to have a lot of high-average people applying, bumping the cut-off up to 83% or 84%... But you know what? You're making yourself have a lower average by calculating your potential mark (and to 4 significant digits too!!!?) , worrying, and posting online about it. The 20 minutes - 5 hours you spend worrying online could be used to understand vectors better... Something that will boost your mark! Sounds like you have the most room to improve in math. Go, do math. Right now. I'm serious. You'll thank me.

Have a good weekend! Good luck. I want to see a post after your next math test that says you received a higher average than you predicted, because you studied.

Rstevenson likes this.
Old 04-03-2010 at 03:44 PM   #7
BenTran

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryboy View Post

Also if i get around 73-75 in cal can i do summer school and show McMaster for engineering or will it be too late.

As far as I know, mac doesn't accept summer school marks recieved the summer before entering university

in other words summer school courses taken between July-August would be considered. Best way to to talk to Sally Williams in the eng department
Old 04-03-2010 at 04:21 PM   #8
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

my advice, is that you reconsider weather you want to go into engineering. Next year first year engineers will have to take three calculus courses instead of two. If your weak when it comes to calculus then you will struggle with those courses.
Old 04-03-2010 at 05:01 PM   #9
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
my advice, is that you reconsider weather you want to go into engineering. Next year first year engineers will have to take three calculus courses instead of two. If your weak when it comes to calculus then you will struggle with those courses.

Its the exact same thing. Z04 and ZZ5 crammed all that material they will learn in 3 courses into 2. Material wise - exact same stuff.
Old 04-03-2010 at 05:15 PM   #10
mike_302
Elite Member

Don't reconsider necessarily: Some schools have tougher calculus courses than others. If you are doing far more than basic calculus and vectors, then chances are, you're lower mark is justified, but it can be higher!
Old 04-03-2010 at 05:50 PM   #11
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

Worst comes to worst, bust your balls in your firs year of university, get good marks, and transfer over. Make sure you pick your classes so they can be used as first year eng courses. The general electives for eng will be easy, just see what other classes you can get in to. Might not sound like the greatest advice, but if being an engineer is your goal, it is a way of going about it.

And if you havent been told, a B-tech pint is a half pint.
Old 04-03-2010 at 08:26 PM   #12
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

I would not worry, I got into eng program with 73%. And its been a Meh ride.
Old 04-03-2010 at 10:34 PM   #13
terryboy
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
I would not worry, I got into eng program with 73%. And its been a Meh ride.
CAN my guidance counsellor bump my mark at my highsckool?

Last edited by terryboy : 04-04-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-04-2010 at 09:01 AM   #14
mike_302
Elite Member

Quote:

Terry, you are repeatedly ignoring me. Time after time. Are you reading my big long post that gives you a LOT of advice? Or ignoring it?

Stop looking for ways to boost your mark WITHOUT studying. I promise you, you will not get into engineering if you keep asking questions like that. You are wasting your time and it will get you no where. Acknowledge that you have read this, and read the big long post I made earlier. Don't ignore it!

terryboy says thanks to mike_302 for this post.

danallan, Entropy like this.
Old 04-04-2010 at 09:26 AM   #15
eric_3490

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
If you don't have the required marks in high school it's probably for your own good that you don't get accepted into engineering. I'm not trying to sound mean but lots of people who made the cut-off still fail or drop out because it's too much to handle, so if you somehow manage to get your high school to bump your mark you will probably regret it later. Just keep trying hard in high school and wait to see if you get accepted or not. good luck

Last edited by eric_3490 : 04-04-2010 at 10:56 AM.

mike_302 likes this.