MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Btech vs. Engineering terryboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 03-11-2010 04:56 AM
About Btech ltswat Academics 1 06-07-2009 04:36 PM
Engineering Cutoff/Summerschool question kenvin100 Academics 11 05-07-2009 01:56 PM
Second year science- Cutoff Averages macsci General Discussion 1 04-04-2009 10:32 PM
What is the official cutoff for Radiation Sciences? kenvin100 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 05-02-2008 04:31 PM

Engineering cutoff / btech

Old 04-04-2010 at 10:39 AM   #16
terryboy
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_3490 View Post
If you don't have the required marks in high school it's probably for your own good that you don't get accepted into engineering. I'm not trying to sound mean but lots of people who made the cut-off still fail or drop out because it's too much to handle, so if you somehow manage to get your high school to bump your mark you will probably probably regret it later. Just keep trying hard in high school and wait to see if you get accepted or not. good luck

I am not a lazy person taht doesn't do any shit a skool. LOL . It is because my cal teacher is pretty hard and class average is a 52, where i am getting a 73. So that is y i am wondering.
Old 04-04-2010 at 10:53 AM   #17
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

It's not about doing stuff at school. It's about doing stuff at home. And that's not what you are doing. You're on here, looking for solutions to getting into university that don't involve seriously studying hard. Just because the class average is 52, it doesn't mean you can't get 82 or higher. But I don't expect you to read this.

terryboy likes this.
Old 04-04-2010 at 11:57 AM   #18
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Get used to those averages. Most tests first year were around the 50% mark average, some (physics), were even lower. oh, and it doesnt get much better 2nd year either :p
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 04-04-2010 at 02:32 PM   #19
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

that last engineering math test for 2ZZ3 had an average of 40% or something? Only because Protas wanted to lower the marks down (which he apparently said in class after the test) =^=;;;
Old 04-04-2010 at 04:10 PM   #20
BenTran

Liked: 3 Times

yeah, i remember my teachers saying that when going into university, expect a 20% drop in your average. I remember last year when recieving my acceptance letter. Like some members said previously, you should stop worry about your mark and spend the time working to increase your mark. I remember spending 2 all nighters working on my tech project to build a large scale detail model of the Avro arrow which inturn helped me get my acceptance to mac as well as exceeding the minimum mark by .2%.
Old 04-05-2010 at 06:57 PM   #21

Liked: 31 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
And if you havent been told, a B-tech pint is a half pint.
This coming from a first year engineering student (according to your profile)... Wait until you get to the real world and get your ass handed to you in a handbasket by some "half pint" Btech grad who has 3 years of practical experience + almost 2 years of co-op experience + 2 years of university education + the two years more experience gained while attending university. Many BTech grads have M.Eng's and P.Eng's and are engineering managers, etc. I'm not sure where your thoughts about "half-pint" come from, other than perhaps some insecurity on your part.

I agree though TerryBoy, get on with the studying and forget the internet forums. There are many routes to a P.eng, not all of them are through a Mac B.eng although its a good one. But the better you do on your marks the better your options will ultimately be. Don't forget that due to the CEAB education process, whatever University you go to will be essentially equivalent in the PEO's eyes as long as its accredited. This of course does not hold true in the case of master's program admissions, etc.

temptingf8 says thanks to 19841984 for this post.

eric_3490 likes this.
Old 04-05-2010 at 08:23 PM   #22
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

^ Good post. B.Tech Energy degree completion students are beating out the B.Eng ECE guys for all the Hydro One and Ontario Power Generation jobs when it comes to both getting hired and on-the-job performance. This, coming straight from feedback from the ECCS. Oops, sorry

I've said it once and I'll say it again, I firmly believe the cutoffs for B.Tech are lower not because of how difficult the program is, but rather because it's a newer program attempting to attract students. Lower competition, lower cutoff. If you think it's half-pint or easier in any way, you will be pleasantly surprised the day you set foot into class.

The way I see it, B.Tech cuts out a lot of the fluff and gets right down to exactly what you're into and where you want to go, although we still take management and financial courses to round ourselves out.

We're not a half-pint, both B.Eng and B.Tech are two different brews of full-pint

Boolean, nila* like this.
Old 04-07-2010 at 08:53 AM   #23
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
^ Good post. B.Tech Energy degree completion students are beating out the B.Eng ECE guys for all the Hydro One and Ontario Power Generation jobs when it comes to both getting hired and on-the-job performance. This, coming straight from feedback from the ECCS. Oops, sorry
ECE guys? I think you just mean Electrical, because computer and biomed's do not take any power courses.
Old 04-07-2010 at 09:50 AM   #24
temptingf8
Elite Member

Sorry, yeah. Electrical.
Old 05-04-2010 at 12:21 PM   #25
motocross22

Liked: 0 Times

This should serve of some help. Directly from the PEO (Professional Engineers of Ontario)

Licence Requirements
To be granted a licence to practise professional engineering,
the applicant must:
-
be at least 18 years old;

-
be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada;

-
be of good character;
- hold an undergraduate engineering degree from a Canadian
Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB)-accredited program
(or possess equivalent qualifications). Refer below to sections
“Minimum Academic Requirement” and “Applicants who do
not hold a degree from a CEAB-accredited program;”

-
successfully complete PEO’s Professional Practice Examination
(PPE); and

-
demonstrate at least 48 months of verifiable, acceptable
engineering experience, at least 12 months of which must
be acquired in a Canadian jurisdiction under a licensed

professional engineer (P.Eng.).

Minimum Academic Requirement
The minimum academic requirement to apply for a professional
engineering licence, recognized by Council, is graduation
from a three-year engineering technology program or a
three-year university science program in a relevant engineering
field. Applicants who meet the minimum academic
requirement but do not have a Bachelor of Engineering
degree may be required to write and pass up to 18 examinations
and submit an acceptable Engineering Report.

From this you can see that the Btech program will allow you to apply for a P.Eng. You will have to take up to 18 examinations to demonstrate that you are qualified.
Old 05-04-2010 at 03:31 PM   #26

Liked: 31 Times

From sitting through many presentations, speaking to many people who have gone the standard and not so stardard way, and communicating with the PEO, I can say that for example, a graduate of an electrical engineering technology program (3 yrs) can expect 11-13 confimatory exams, while a graduate of manufacturing engineering technology (Btech) can expect 5-6 confirmatory exams.

Masters level studies will reduce this in the event that courses coincide with the exam topics. Also a masters degree will reduce the work experience time by 1 year, while a phD has traditionally resulted in the waiving of the experience requirement. Also while in a part-time post-college Btech program, you are technically already halfway through your education which means you can start accruing experience to apply against your required time. If graduating from a B.eng program, you will be required to do a full four years of experience plus the PPE exam that all must write.

Two presentations which have been stored and uploaded from current Btech grads who are P.Eng's can be found at: http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/Schools/...stCollege.html

and seminars are held periodically to see the presenations in person and ask questions. Also at the first presentation I went to there were other members of the attending audience who were Btech grads with P.eng, but were not presenting.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit. A lot of it also really depends on who is assigned to your file when you do apply with the PEO after graduating.
Old 05-04-2010 at 03:53 PM   #27
temptingf8
Elite Member

I was there for the presentation by Imtiaz Yusuf. It's great info but it also pertains to the Degree Completion streams (like mine) more than the 4-year programs that you enter out of high school. In addition, Imtiaz went through the program BEFORE 6 compulsory management and business courses were added. So if anything we could be in better shape, I remember him having to write a PEO exam on Engineering Economics because the course was never offered - it is now, and I'm doing it this term.

Basically, your mileage may vary - B.Tech is fairly new still so it is sometimes still a case by case basis.

Last edited by temptingf8 : 05-04-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-04-2010 at 09:35 PM   #28
Pinhedd

Liked: 1 Time

If you dont make the cutoff and you're still serious about getting into Engineering you can do what I did and go to a college first for two years in an engineering program. I went to Humber and had to pull 4 semesters straight honours (minimum 80% cumulative average) which is actually a lot easier than it sounds. If you can do that they will consider you for admission regardless of your highschool marks.
Old 05-06-2010 at 04:15 PM   #29
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

You have to realize that marks don't get updated on OUAC every month. They only get uploaded three times: around november, late january (i believe), and after your finals are over.

If you haven't gotten in by now, then most likely you're not gonna get in anytime between now and final exams, as McMaster has mostly likely sent out all their offers. Call the Admissions office and see if you got rejected or not.

I'm not sure if you need to ask or not, but ask them to wait list you (assuming you got rejected). After the finals marks are out, certain people don't make the final cutoff average (79% last year), and some people reject their offers, which opens up space in the program. To fill the spots, McMaster then contacts people on the waitlist, which is generally ranked based on your average.

Like Rossclot said, worrying about it and posting about it won't help your situation. You're focus now should be bump up your average as high as possible (don't worry about requirements and whatnot) so you be one of the first few on that wait list. Finals are huge chunks of marks. I remember I pulled an 83 average to a 87.5 just by doing well on finals