MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BTech Electives? Lolisuck First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-27-2010 10:56 PM
Engineering cutoff / btech terryboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 05-06-2010 04:15 PM
Btech terryboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 03-30-2010 03:30 PM
Btech terryboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 03-22-2010 07:47 PM
About Btech ltswat Academics 1 06-07-2009 04:36 PM

Btech vs. Engineering

Old 03-10-2010 at 03:46 PM   #1
terryboy
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Btech vs. Engineering
I have applied to engineering at McMaster but I think my chances are low, since my average is now an 82 with (advanced functions -82, chemistry-89, physics-81 and English- 75.) My current courses are (religion, calculus, and comtech.) I have a feeling that my mark in calculus will be around 77-80 because my teacher is hard. Religion I can pull an 85+.

I was deciding if it was too late to apply for btech. I heard it is a similar program to engineering. I am kind of confused of how the program works. My guidance counsellor told me that, you can go into the btech program and still become a civil engineer (is that true). Can anyone tell me if it too late to apply to btech program or just concentrate to get into McMaster’s engineering program.

Another question is that is it true a lot of people don't meet their conditional offer. My counsellor told me that students who have been accepted now are students who are above the range. He also told me that in a few weeks waterloo will send out acceptance where the students who got accepted to McMaster will drop their offer. Will this mean that the students in range will have a higher chance to getting into McMaster’s engineering program?

My estimated average according to my calculation would be btwn the range : 81.666-82.666

Thank You

Last edited by terryboy : 03-10-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-10-2010 at 04:05 PM   #2
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

I dont know if its too late to apply to btech but if you can you might as well. You can transfer into engineering after first year of btech. Im not sure if you will have to take some first year eng courses (probably). My conditional offer was to keep my average above a 79 so i would assume most people with advanced acceptances would be able to keep it above that (i did). I would say you have a fair chance of getting in to eng since my average was only 84. but it all depends on the year. Good luck!
Old 03-10-2010 at 04:24 PM   #3
terryboy
Account Disabled by User

so basically do u if my chance is high or low. I also want to now that it this statement is true.
Accepting an offer of admission from one university will not cancel applications to other universities and/or programs. However, applicants may have only one acceptance of an offer on file at a time. Before applicants can accept a subsequent offer online, they must first cancel the previously accepted offer. Note: When applicants submit a subsequent paper acceptance, the OUAC will automatically cancel the previously accepted offer.
Old 03-10-2010 at 08:09 PM   #4
Rstevenson

I dont know. It all depends on the year. Just try your hardest. That basically says you can only accept one at a time but you can who you accept to. ex. you accept lets say western but really want mac. you can decline your western offer after you have already accepted and then accept mac.
Old 03-10-2010 at 08:11 PM   #5
terryboy
Account Disabled by User

ic thanks
Old 03-10-2010 at 08:11 PM   #6
terryboy
Account Disabled by User

wat are my chances to making into the engineering program
Old 03-10-2010 at 08:36 PM   #7
Rstevenson

69.235871326509423698 234756%. seriously I or anyone else can not predict it. stop worrying about it and go concentrate on your studying so that you DO get in.
Old 03-10-2010 at 08:38 PM   #8
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
wat are my chances to making into the engineering program
Like everyone said it depends on the year. For example:

If last year 100 people applied and the program was only accepting 75 of them. If there are 75 people who have an average of 77, then you would be able to get in with a 80 since your mark is higher. However if the 75 had an average of 90+ then you wouldn't. It al depends who is applying each year. Just try your hardest you never know.

Also b.tech is similar but not the same as engineering. What kind of engineering are you looking to get into?
Old 03-10-2010 at 08:39 PM   #9
terryboy
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
Like everyone said it depends on the year. For example:

If last year 100 people applied and the program was only accepting 75 of them. If there are 75 people who have an average of 77, then you would be able to get in with a 80 since your mark is higher. However if the 75 had an average of 90+ then you wouldn't. It al depends who is applying each year. Just try your hardest you never know.

Also b.tech is similar but not the same as engineering. What kind of engineering are you looking to get into?

civil or mechanical engineering and is it ture the first year is general
Old 03-10-2010 at 08:47 PM   #10
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Quote:
civil or mechanical engineering and is it ture the first year is general
Yes i believe it is general.

As for the way b.tech works.

If you want to do civil engineering :

The civil engineering program they have is a degree completion program, This means that you first have to go to college and once you graduate from college you can come into b.tech. College is usually 2-3 years and once your in btech you do another 2 years to get your degree.

For Mechanical :

There is no specific Mechanical but they have a program called Automotive and Vehicle Technology. This program is very close to Mechanical Engineering
This program is a full 4 year program which you can go into right from high school. Once you graduate you can still get your P.Eng by doing a few exams.

Like people said if you want you can also apply to b.tech and if you dont get into engineering then come to b.tech and then transfer to engineering after 1st year. You might have to do a few extra courses but youll get in.
Old 03-10-2010 at 08:51 PM   #11
terryboy
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
Yes i believe it is general.

As for the way b.tech works.

If you want to do civil engineering :

The civil engineering program they have is a degree completion program, This means that you first have to go to college and once you graduate from college you can come into b.tech. College is usually 2-3 years and once your in btech you do another 2 years to get your degree.

For Mechanical :

There is no specific Mechanical but they have a program called Automotive and Vehicle Technology. This program is very close to Mechanical Engineering
This program is a full 4 year program which you can go into right from high school. Once you graduate you can still get your P.Eng by doing a few exams.

Like people said if you want you can also apply to b.tech and if you dont get into engineering then come to b.tech and then transfer to engineering after 1st year. You might have to do a few extra courses but youll get in.

Is it fine if i can apply to btech right now
Old 03-10-2010 at 08:52 PM   #12
Rstevenson

It is general first year. second year you specialize
Old 03-10-2010 at 08:53 PM   #13
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

is terryboy doing some postmodern thing on the absurdities of highschool grade meritocracy/university bureaucracy/middleclass dreams??
Old 03-10-2010 at 08:54 PM   #14
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Quote:
Is it fine if i can apply to btech right now
Yup i believe you can. But i think they mention that they will only consider you if there is space though. Its worth a try though. There usually aren t many people applying for it.
Old 03-10-2010 at 09:01 PM   #15
terryboy
Account Disabled by User

k i just finished applying. I hope i get into engineering with a 81-82 average range. THank you guys for all u're tips and advice