MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course Selections Help (Btech) Lolisuck First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-22-2010 12:08 PM
Questions About BTech Lolisuck First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 05-27-2010 08:33 AM
Btech terryboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 03-22-2010 07:47 PM
Btech vs. Engineering terryboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 03-11-2010 04:56 AM
About Btech ltswat Academics 1 06-07-2009 04:36 PM

Btech

Old 03-29-2010 at 08:52 PM   #1
terryboy
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Btech
I have been accepted to the btech program at mcmaster.
I really want to do engineering but i am missing the cutoff my 0.7. My average is currently 81.3 but when i called admission they told me last years cutoff was 82.

Therefore my question is can i still change from btech to engineering the first year of univerisity? Also can is there any alternative way to become an engineer through btech, and how?

THANK YOU
Old 03-29-2010 at 08:54 PM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Pretty sure you will need to do all of first year BTech, then switch the first year engineering the next year, if you marks are high enough.
Old 03-29-2010 at 08:55 PM   #3
terryboy
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Pretty sure you will need to do all of first year BTech, then switch the first year engineering the next year, if you marks are high enough.

Do u now what average i will need to get into ENGINEERING lol
Old 03-29-2010 at 08:58 PM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Well, cutoff average for 1st year engineering to get into a 2nd year stream is 4.0GPA (which is 60%). But coming in from another program.. i would ask Grace (Btech lady)
Old 03-29-2010 at 09:17 PM   #5
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

I can't give you a number, but you need pretty decent marks to switch from one program to another. Just do the best you can.
Old 03-29-2010 at 09:23 PM   #6
terryboy
Account Disabled by User

k but through out my research some ppl say after i graduate i can still get P.eng ( do u guys now how ?)
Old 03-30-2010 at 09:23 AM   #7
lubianta

people in engineering don't even graduate with a P. Eng, that takes 4 years of engineering experience and another test. BTech is somewhat of a mystery to me, but if you do well enough in your first year you may be able to switch over, sorry I can't help more
Old 03-30-2010 at 03:16 PM   #8
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

You can get your P. eng by writing a bunch of technical tests, in addition to the ethics test that B.Eng. grads take. But it also takes 4 years of experience before doing this.

Tip: Don't worry in first year. You worried a lot about this, and you were 0.7 percent away from getting in, as you say (although that's not certain... it may have moved to 83%). you were on here a lot questioning "what if, what if...." We like the popularity on here, but your priorities were a little flawed.

You can make it into eng. after first year with good enough marks, if you balance everything.

good luck. AND PARTICIPATE IN ENGINEERING ACTIVITIES!
Old 03-30-2010 at 03:30 PM   #9

Liked: 31 Times

Btech grads typically write 5 to 6 technical exams and submit a technical report. In addition to this, 4 years of work experience are required. However, for the degree completion guys, a lot of this work experience gets back filed and you essentially only end up needing 3 yrs at max Of course that is assuming you are working while doing school. Not sure how it works for the four year day school people though as I think you only get the standard co-op treatment like the eng kids. However, this time may still be applied against your four years. Afterwards you do still need to write the PPE exam like everyone else. At the end of the day, the BTech program is a bit of a longer road, but a very worthwhile one as it addresses some of the shortcomings of the typical engineering degree. The two programs compliment eachother very nicely.