MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course Selections Help (Btech) Lolisuck First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-22-2010 12:08 PM
Btech terryboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 03-30-2010 03:30 PM
Btech terryboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 03-22-2010 07:47 PM
Btech vs. Engineering terryboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 03-11-2010 04:56 AM
About Btech ltswat Academics 1 06-07-2009 04:36 PM

Questions About BTech

Old 05-21-2010 at 10:18 PM   #1
Lolisuck

Liked: 1 Time

Questions About BTech
Hey, could someone explain to me McMaster's Btech program, I've read McMaster's site for the btech program but i don't really understand it. What it is, how is it from a student prespective, the pros the cons , the job prospective of it, and in comparison to Mac's engineering program, basically a full simple descripstion of the program, it'd be really appreiciated. BTW i pick the automotive out of the 3 choices, does that mean i'll end up with an automotive related job cuz i want to become a civil eigineer. Also if it'd be possible to transfer into the engineering programs like civil engineering from btech after first year.
Thank You.
Old 05-21-2010 at 10:35 PM   #2
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

i can try to explain but i'm in eng but since i had a friend in btech so i can give inputs. btech when compared to eng is more applied and less theorectical. it is a joint venture between mohawk and mcmaster. this means that you take some courses at mohawk and some at mac. civil has nothing to do with automotive as far as i know. automotive is more related to mechanical than civil. and if you are thinking of tranferring to eng you need a really high average close to 3.3 on 4.0 scale. plus you have to take most of the 1st year courses. i would say its a hassle to transfer between programs so you shud go for something that you are sure u wouldn't want to transfer from.
Old 05-21-2010 at 10:57 PM   #3
Lolisuck

Well i have a choice of either BTech at McMasters or Civil Engineering at Ryerson, and i really want to have engineering at McMasters, so which has a better chance of reaching Mac engineering, transfering from Btech or from Ryerson Civil Engineering?
Old 05-21-2010 at 11:06 PM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Im pretty sure no matter which option you go with, you will have to go Eng I at mcmaster. The material is crucial for 2nd year courses, and I do not know anyone who's 'skipped' general first year and got into a stream second year.
Old 05-21-2010 at 11:26 PM   #5
Lolisuck

Well i guess i don't mind the fact of having to take Eng 1 after transfering as long as i'm in . But its just the fact that which would give me a better chance of reaching to engineering at mac, from btech or from ryerson?

Also if i were to transfer from ryerson wouldn't i be specializing in civil, so would i be able to get into the civil stream in year 2 and just take the courses i missed from eng 1?
Old 05-22-2010 at 12:26 AM   #6
j.luong

Liked: 2 Times

As a BTech student that just finished Level I, I think I can help answer a couple questions. BTech, as stated previously is a joint venture between McMaster and Mohawk College, therefore as a BTech student, you have to spend time at both institutions. Level I BTech DOES NOT require you to be at Mohawk at all. However as far as I know, a couple second year labs WILL BE held at Mohawk.

BTech is more focused on application and less theory. However the workload is still comparable to Eng I. To be able to transfer into Eng I, you will need roughly 10 on Mac's 12-point scale.

I too was in the same situation as you last year. I was accepted into Ryerson for Elec. Eng but ultimately chose BTech at Mac because I thought it would be easier to switch into Eng. seeing as that I would be IN the faculty of Engineering already. But as first year passed by, I realized that I hated electricity (the course) and that Biotechnology was more suited for me. So I decided to stay in BTech.
Old 05-22-2010 at 12:00 PM   #7
Lolisuck

I heard that going into btech would make you a technologist which would be less than an engineer and plus i'm not really in favour of any of the three choices of automotive, automation or biotech only engineering (specifially civil). I pretty much only consider btech as a way to get into engineering. So which would be the right choice for me ryerson or btech to transfer into mac eng and what extra courses and marks must i achieve to make it into mac eng.
Old 05-22-2010 at 07:52 PM   #8
Lolisuck

BTW does anybody know anyone whose successfully transferred from BTech first Year to either engineering 1 or a stream of engineering for year 2?
Old 05-25-2010 at 12:26 PM   #9
Guest253
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

From what i know, you are better off going into civil at ryerson as ive heard its hard to get into eng from btech and at least at ryerson u are studyign wat u want (civil eng)
Old 05-26-2010 at 11:26 PM   #10
Lolisuck

Anyway i have accepted my offer to btech, and i'm planning to study biotechology for btech, i would like to know the possible careers i will choose from once i graduate.
Old 05-27-2010 at 01:14 AM   #11
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolisuck View Post
Anyway i have accepted my offer to btech, and i'm planning to study biotechology for btech, i would like to know the possible careers i will choose from once i graduate.
Shouldnt you look into that before you accept and decide your life?
Old 05-27-2010 at 01:43 AM   #12
Lolisuck

well i have a general idea but i was wondering if someone would have a more detailed answer or even better someone who is currently taking btech or graduated can could tell me in detail the coop experience, since coop is a good prediction on the your future career or also the job they plan on persuing.
Old 05-27-2010 at 08:33 AM   #13
j.luong

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolisuck View Post
BTW does anybody know anyone whose successfully transferred from BTech first Year to either engineering 1 or a stream of engineering for year 2?
Yes, I knew a guy that transferred into Eng I right after first semester. He was able to do so because he had an 11.2 average. He started Eng I in second semester but had to take extra courses in the summer because BTech and Eng classes are not equivalent.