MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course Selections Help (Btech) Lolisuck First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-22-2010 12:08 PM
Questions About BTech Lolisuck First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 05-27-2010 08:33 AM
Btech terryboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 03-30-2010 03:30 PM
Btech vs. Engineering terryboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 03-11-2010 04:56 AM
About Btech ltswat Academics 1 06-07-2009 04:36 PM

Btech

Old 03-20-2010 at 12:30 PM   #1
terryboy
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Btech
Hi

I am wondering how the btech program works. I have visited the website and it says i need to go to mohawk college. I am also concerned why we have to go to college. My other concern is can i still become an engineer through btech.
Old 03-20-2010 at 01:06 PM   #2
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

The program is jointly controlled by Mohawk and McMaster and courses are offered via both institutions' campuses. I believe the current plan is that the first year courses are all offered in the new engineering building on McMaster campus and the upper year courses are offered wherever the facilities are available (either Mac or Mohawk).

You do get a McMaster degree as well as a Mohawk diploma when you graduate, so you shouldn't think of it as just "going to college." The program is a hybrid degree.

A Btech degree is NOT an accredited engineering degree. What this means is when you graduate with a Btech, you cannot directly register to become an engineer-in-training and thus a future professional engineer. You also cannot call yourself an engineer (the same applies for a recent graduate from an engineering program as well, although many grads often misrepresent themselves). Btech graduates are often referred to as "engineering technologists" and are certainly in demand, but they're not "engineers."

To find out more about what it means to be an engineer and specific regulations, check out the Professional Engineers of Ontario website http://www.peo.on.ca
The quickest read is probably this fact sheet:
http://www.peo.on.ca/FactSheets/What...0PEO2010.p df
Old 03-20-2010 at 08:10 PM   #3
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

You can become an engineer but not directly through btech. you could transfer after first year or i believe you could go to mac for a year after you graduate from btech. (im not quite sure about the last one as i did the research last year)
Old 03-20-2010 at 10:28 PM   #4
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Check the site again --> http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/Schools/...MoPartnership/

it was down some time back.

And as far as 'becoming and engineer' is concerned, it is possible you just have to complete a few extra exams/tasks in order to get your P.Eng.

All of the classes are held in the new ETB building in mac except for a few higher year labs. Reason for this is mac does not have things such as a automotive garage etc thats needed to conduct some of the labs. It is simply to give you a more hands on experience.
Old 03-21-2010 at 09:23 AM   #5
terryboy
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

ic, i also want to now what i will be courses that i will be taking the first year of btech. I am also concerned were will majority of my class take place.
Old 03-21-2010 at 09:36 AM   #6
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

i think maybe you should look before asking...http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/Assets/M...BTECH+2009.pdf

That took me 2 minutes to find
Old 03-21-2010 at 07:37 PM   #7
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
i think maybe you should look before asking...http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/Assets/M...BTECH+2009.pdf

That took me 2 minutes to find
Lol I wish i had found that when i first started .

Those are all the courses in first year. And all first year courses are at the mcmaster campus in the ETB building.

In second year you will have 2 labs that are in mohawk. But the labs are co-ordinated so that you only have to go to mohawk on that one day. For example : All your classes will be at mc master except for the 2 labs which will be on a thu or fri. So you will only have to travel to mohawk one day per week
Old 03-22-2010 at 07:26 AM   #8

Liked: 31 Times

You can certainly become a Professional Engineer from the BTech program. You can do this straight from a three year college program too if you wish. The only difference between this and the B.Eng route is that you will have to write confirmatory exams, usually on the order of 5 or 6 exams. However these may be waived if suitable courses, approved by the PEO, are taken in say a Masters of Engineering after you finish BTech. There are presentations held from former grads who are now P.Eng's and they detail the route they took and give advice. They are a good resource. One such presentation has been posted on the Btech site, under "Working Technologists'-->"Post College Pathways"
Transferring to B.Eng is not easy as they tend to not want to recognize any experience or prior courses and will likely just offer acceptance into level 1.
Old 03-22-2010 at 07:47 PM   #9
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

That said, do keep in mind that there are two very different streams of B.Tech and that you need to make sure that the information is applicable to the program you want to go into.

There is a 24-course (theoretically 2-year) DEGREE COMPLETION program for those who have already graduated from college. There is where I am, as a graduate of Mechanical Engineering Technology from Sheridan College, and now I'm part of the Renewable Energy Engineering Technology B.Tech degree.

19841984 is right - it is still very much possible for B.Tech grads to get their P.Eng certification, although you may be subject to more tests/reports and such. It honestly can go on a case-by-case basis. I can't totally speak for the other streams, but based on my studies in Energy, I want to put it out there that the B.Tech program is NOT NECESSARILY EASIER - which seems a common perception, with things like lower admission requirements and more exams to be written for P.Eng. certification. I feel that this is because it's such a NEW program - going through PEO accreditation and building your reputation doesn't happen overnight. Less competition for admission = lower admission requirements.

B.Tech is a very specialized degree, and is definitely for people who know exactly where they want to go and want hands-on experience IN ADDITION to all the hardcore theory. I absolutely love and respect our program chair for putting in so much to this program, and being smaller, you really get to know everyone and you know exactly what you're getting out of your education.

Case in point: As a 3-year Mechanical Technologist, I am subject to learning theory and application in B.Tech Energy that 3rd and 4th year B.Eng Electrical students NEVER get to touch. It is a completely different ball game.

I can only assume that the 4-year degrees are similar, except for the fact that you enter into them straight out of high school.

I apologize if I have rambled a bit much. I'm kind of sick and feverish